back to article Ads watchdog okays Intel 'world's best processor' claim

The UK's advertising watchdog has rejected complaints that a claim made by chip giant Intel that Core 2 Duo CPUs are the "world's best processors" is false. The Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) said today it had received seven complaints after Intel began broadcasting its latest TV ad for the Core 2 Duo, the one that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. e

ASA?

A question; does the ASA know anything about benchmaking and the various biases there may be?

2. Robert Long

Subjective

The problem is that they didn't say "fastest" - they said "best".

Intel has yet to produce a processor as good as the MC68000, although they long ago beat it in speed by piling on the hacks and heat to produce one of the ugliset chips known to Man.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Xeons are better

The 2 core and 4 core Xeons are better. Even Intel must know it is wrong.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The M$ way

I remember when intel dominated the market and people whined and moaned.

Then, low and behold, amd saved us all. Cheaper cpu's, but you got what you paid for.

A few years later, very close competition and people still have their hatred for intel. Atleast intel is not buying up my favorite companies and screwing up their downloads page (atitech.com).

5. Ian Ferguson

Best is subjective

I'm sure BMW would be allowed to advertise their cars as the 'best', so why not Intel? 'Best' is a subjective term, unlike 'fastest' or 'most efficient'. Advertising is all about building up your brand; if everything had to be quantified, only one type of car or washing powder would sell.

6. Dillon Pyron

Today vs tomorrow

Monday's "best processor" is Tuesday's second slowest. That's just the way it is in the processor world.

7. Ian Cheesbrough

Reasonable intelligence

As I recall, English law allows for (I forget the precise wording) claims that could reasonably be dismissed as advertising hype by a person of average intelligence. Thus "probably the best lager" was never in any danger of so much as being slapped on the wrists. The Intel advert sails a bit closer to the wind but I think that any reasonable person of average intelligence could dismiss that claim as advertising hype regardless of any evidence whether supporting or contrary.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

best is subjective

Well... I really don't know how it could be best. No 3DNOW, lower MIPS count if compared to an AMD chip of the same clock rate, supports M$' draconian DRM initiative through their CPU ID thing.

Indeed, it's because of the CPU ID thing I stay away from Intel nowadays.

Well, I guess that's how thing is then.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like