back to article Facebook's flush Sheryl Sandberg savaged over unpaid intern advert

Facebook's second-in-command Sheryl Sandberg faced a backlash on her free-content network after the Lean In organisation she founded advertised for an unpaid intern with "social chops". Sandberg, the author of Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, makes a lot of noise about how women should follow in her footsteps and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ecofeco Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Backlash?

They're just jealous of the rich!

/sarcasm

1. Mike Flugennock

Re: Backlash?

"They're just jealous of the rich!

/sarcasm"

Please... it's not "the rich", it's "successful".

2. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

While another more pointedly said: "selfish *unt."

Succinct. Punchy. Unambiguous.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

It is nice to see that public companies can actually be shamed into putting their money where their mouth is.

+1 to the Internet for a positive result.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paying an interns does not help.

They don't make THAT much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Paying an interns does not help.

By that scale, most people "don't make THAT much" so why bother paying THEM?

Slavery appeared to work very well for low-cost productivity 200 years ago; why did we ever leave?

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Retarded. Where is the problem, again?

Sounds like some people feel that someone is being forced to work no dosh.

I don't see that.

Not all.

> Unpaid work, be it internships for young women or volunteer positions for older moms, is exploitive.

Oh noes, we can't have that!

Here is the idea though: If you are unskilled, working unpaid *can* be a plus. This concept goes right over the head of the social studies students.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

Re: Retarded. Where is the problem, again?

They were asking for a lot of skills for this particular unpaid internship. And why must they be unpaid? Would it kill businesses to offer at least minimum wage until such a time as the intern is either let go or kept on full time?

2. Graham Marsden
      FAIL

@Destroy All Monsters - Re: Retarded. Where is the problem, again?

" If you are unskilled, working unpaid *can* be a plus."

Unskilled? RTFA:

"editorial and social chops and able to commit to a regular schedule through end of year. Design and web skills a plus!"

3. Ally 1

Re: Retarded. Where is the problem, again?

It can be a plus alright..but who for? Anyone from a poorer background is almost automatically excluded no matter how well qualified or intelligent. Anyone not from a well off background just can't afford to do a year's unpaid work to flesh out their CV. It's just another case of the rich helping their own and discriminating against everyone else.

6. Shagbag

'Chops'

Google didn't help.

Can someone please explain wtf 'Chops' are?

I presume they've got nothing to do with pork.

Also, I've seen the word(?) 'emcee' used in the US.

WTF does that mean?

Please tell me it's not another US bastardisation of 'M.C.' (Master of Ceremonies).

1. Mike Flugennock

Re: 'Chops'

Lingo stolen from musicians; "chops" referring to skills, i.e. "Jimi Hendrix had really awesome chops."

1. Shagbag

Re: 'Chops'

Thx

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Small correction

Sheryl Sandberg faced a backlash on her free-content network

Content-free network, shurely.

1. Mitoo Bobsworth
      Happy

Re: Small correction

Journalistic typo perhaps - that could read as 'free-of-content'.

8. Dan Paul

Equal Pay for Equal Work!?!

What crock of excrement! For all the same Feminists that have been hounding men for equal pay for ages to turn around and say that they themselves can ask for unpaid "volunteers" with a skill set that ought to earn them $80k a year minimum?

This is the very height of hypocrisy! Anyone who took the job unpaid should be forever branded as a wimp/fool/moron.

Sandberg should be hauled up on charges for failing to pay minimum wages on ANY intern position whether it was advertised as unpaid or not.

Let me remind you all.....Lincoln freed the slave and slavery is against the law in almost every country. In my opinion, that makes unpaid internships illegal.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She should have called it "workfare"

and pointed out it's endorsed by the UK government.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

The sisters are doing it TO themselves!!......

I'm sure this was meant as an educational experience meant to provide real-life knowledge of exploitation, yet in a nurturing and caring environment!

Either that, or this was an opening at an organization devoted to flogging the work of one rich and privileged exec looking for other privileged kids (who can afford to work 4 months til the end of the year with no pay) with the unintended goal of perpetuating inequality instead of combating it.

11. Don Jefe
    WTF?

Sooo...

Is Sandberg, feminist role model and empowerment figure, saying: "It's thier fault because they were obviously desperate and asking for it"?

Sounds suspiciously like another argument I've heard derided by the Feminist Camp...

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Sooo...

I've come to the conclusion that many feminists appear to misunderstand what equality actually means. I wrote about it (at some length) when the lose the lads mags stuff hit the news.

I'm sure most are reasonably well intentioned, but theres little point fighting for something if your tactics undermine it.

12. rcorrect

Anyone who took the job unpaid should be forever branded as a wimp/fool/moron

As a college graduate with a blank resume, I would kill for an opportunity like that. Good thing there are open source projects and what not.

1. Graham Marsden
      Boffin

@rcorrect

"As a college graduate with a blank resume"... your chances of actually *getting* that job are about the same as the proverbial snowball in hell.

13. Mike Flugennock
    Mushroom

"Lean In"?

"Bend Over", more like.

1. Don Jefe

Re: "Lean In"?

Bend Over: Women, Shaking It, and the Desire to Make Sandwiches was proposed as a rebuttal to her feminist manifesto but the publisher didn't want to risk being accused of trolling.

14. disgruntled yank

definitions

'If you look closely enough, Sandberg's definition of "women" is a pretty narrow one, even if it does float the conceit about the "right to equality at work".'

Surely it is depth of definition, not breadth, that enables it to float a conceit?

But you do interest me. There is no way in the world that I'm going to read Lean In, so can you enlighten me as Sandberg's definition of "women"? Does it vary considerably from (say) the IOC's or the NCAA's?

15. James Haley 2

@ Shagbag re "Chop"

Google "He's got chops".

It means someone has the skills and ability to perform a task. It is most often in reference to a performance. "Jerry Seinfeld was funny last night; he still has chops."

16. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Unhappy

Corporatism & Greed.

This has nothing to do do with equality in work or any of the regularly touted 'climb the ladder of success' blurb - this type of behavoiur has no gender boundary, it is simply learned & passed on to the next individual with an over inflated sense of entitlement. It's pathological, it's inequitable, and occasionally shows it's aberrance in public with snafu's like this for all to see. Jump on them at every observance, folks.

17. Super Fast Jellyfish
    Mushroom

its a small step

from zero pay to zero hour contracts. I can't believe the number of people I've meet recently who are on these. Does no one remember the stevedores?

18. Anomalous Cowshed

Please confirm my interpretation...

If I understand this article correctly:

A posh and arrogant minion

of a rich and arrogant minion

of a very rich and arrogant scallywag

wanted to get someone to work for them free of charge?

What's the big deal?

We give you Facebook for free, all the time, forever, so why can't you, serf friend, contribute a few years of your life to making us richera good cause?

19. John Tserkezis

I'm rich. Send me $1 for an info pack that let's you into my secret of wealth.

Send them a short note saying you ask for a buck for a short note in return. Pocket the buck.

You don't get rich by giving money away, occasionally, you need to step on toes, and if those toes happen belong to a highly skilled "intern" with no pay, then so be it.

As long as nobody finds out, that is.

20. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Opportunities in the cotton picking industry

Make no money fast, opportunities for all, immigrants from Africa welcome

21. Steven Roper

History has lessons for us here

This kind of greed and exploitation by the aristocracy is what eventually leads to revolutions and sends parasites like this bitch to the gallows and the guillotine.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Holding to a higher standard of ethics?

I suspect that would not be news worthy if it was most other websites/organisations. Should they be handicapped and held to a higher standard of ethics?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like