back to article Big Mike heading for victory as SAM dumps HALF its Dell shares

One of Dell’s biggest shareholders has dumped almost half its holdings in Big Mike’s computer outfit. Southeastern Asset Management is reported to have sold 41 per cent of its Dell stock, reducing the value of its holdings to $949m. Southeastern had held 8.4 per cent of Dell, making it the biggest stockholder apart from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

Oh the games that people play.......

2. Tom 35

it would seem the investor senses its Dell bid can go no further.

Or they just found another company ripe for a good asset strip and switched to an easier target.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: it would seem the investor senses its Dell bid can go no further.

They sound like a Speculator and Asset Stripper, not an Investor.

3. Darryl

Squeezed all of the cash that they can out of the Dell shares, so dump them and move on to the next. Isn't that the definition of Pump-n-Dump? Expect a large sale of Apple shares soon.

4. M. B.

I'm curious, if SAM sold their shares, exactly who bought them? And are they on board with the Dell deal or not?

1. K

Yeah I'm interested in this too..Icahn has recently been talking up Apple, so expect to see him jump ship soon.

1. Wallyb132
        Mushroom

Talking up Apple...

He may be talking up Apple, but the $1.5bn in stock he just bought doesn't get him shit as far as %'s go with Apple's stock price. if he thinks he's going to leverage some kind of muscle at Apple hes fucking stupid...

Well, hes fucking stupid either way, so nevermind...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

Re: Talking up Apple...

@Wallyb132 - Icahn isn't stupid. You may not like his way of doing business but the man knows what he is doing.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Point of order

Icahn doesn't "do business." He UNDOES businesses.

2. Lars Silver badge
            Go

Re: Talking up Apple...

@Nicho, I would agree too. I do not think Ichan has lost any money either. He is playing his game surprisingly open and trying to find "morality" from it is just stupid and well stupid. I cannot find any society without buying and selling nor any where it is against the law. Personally without owning a cent in Dell and regardless of having had to use a Dell keyboard (for some weeks), the worst keyboard in the history of mankind, I still think and hope Dell. the guy, is the best person to run the company. If not, who cares.

And going private, leaving the Wall Street circus, could be the right thing to do too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Who bought the shares?

> I'm curious, if SAM sold their shares, exactly who bought them?

Icahna say ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why Southeastern sold?

"There’s no word on why Southeastern sold, but the news should be seen as significant."

er .. force the stock price down, then buy it back?

1. (AMPC) Anonymous and mostly paranoid coward
      Gimp

Re: Why Southeastern sold?

Dell closed at 13.82 and was up 0.84 % on Friday, so I don't think that strategy is working out.

More likely that SAM just decided to take some money and run.

My guess is Big Mike will end up paying 14 bucks a share one way or another, but a least he should be able to take the company private, which is a good thing.

After all, it has his name on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like