back to article Wicker Man sequel goes up in smoke

In a major blow for the UK film industry and fans of 1973 cult movie The Wicker Man, a planned sequel to the virgin-roasting horror classic has been cancelled due to "financing problems". The film, entitled Cowboys For Christ, was to have been directed by original helmsman Robin Hardy, based on his 2006 novel of the same name …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Damn

Mr Lee is in his twilight years and we might not get to see him reprise his role. I don't think the film would be as good without him.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Unhappy

Damn!

I was looking forward to this new film. Hopefully it would have beaten the crap re-makes that are around too much these days.

3. The Mighty Spang
    Thumb Down

i can see why

if the god squad looses i can see why US money has a problem with that.

i mean they bolloxed up the doom movie, removing hell from the scenario

4. jai

paypal

can't they put up a paypal address and then we can all give a couple of quid to boost their finances or something

5. Steve

How is this allowed...

...when Nicholas Cage's abortion of a Wicker Man remake get's financed?

6. Dave
    Unhappy

A Film Sequel that I'm interested in?

This Article does not make sense. It seems to contain hints that an interesting story may have formed the backbone of a sequel to a much loved 35 year old film.

How can this be? All sequels (Copolla / Cameron not withstanding) must lose any semblance of originality, and consist solely of inferior performances and general disregard for source material.

This may have been the "other" film that I'd visit the cinema for. The first ummm, being the latest sequel to a 30 year old action adventure film. Okay, ignore what I said.

7. Rich Silver badge
    Happy

Re: Paypal

So if we all donate a couple of quid, then once paypal take their cut, that should leave about ....ooooo ....20p ???

8. Mike Crawshaw
    Joke

Another option?

"Sadly, we may never know the bowel-loosening potential of Cowboys for Christ."

Unless, of course, we read the book...?

9. John Macintyre

never know?

er....

"Sadly, we may never know the bowel-loosening potential of Cowboys for Christ"

But he wrote the book, and the quote was that the book had all that stuff, so surely readers could just read the book? if people would rather not read old fashioned technology such as this so called 'book' thing, perhaps amazon/google could make it available on line/via an e-ink reader somewhere.....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Good thing we got the original movie then

So at least we know the plot.

11. StopthePropaganda
    Thumb Down

get a clue, "spang"

hollywood and the rest of the world grunt out vile anti-Christian and anti-American movies by the hour. If there was anything to your paranoid christian conspiracy theory then none of these blasphemous garbage propaganda pieces would ever see the light of day. but they do. And having people choose to not watch a movie (boycott) is *not* censorship.

If you want a *real* religious conspiracy, if it doesn't go against your core belief system to take off the blinders, look into the suppression of "Fitna".

This horror remake failed for a good reason, and I bet it's got more to do with the shoddy financial dealings of the filmmakers or financiers than religion. Just because it's a disgusting morally bankrupt film premise doesn't mean it automatically gets made.

tho if it can be spun in a way to cut into American morale then it's a guaranteed green light, even if the film is guaranteed to lose a few million.

12. Curtis W. Rendon
    Black Helicopters

@StopthePropaganda

I see someone is off their meds...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@The not-so mighty spand

"if the god squad looses i can see why US money has a problem with that."

Hollywood was founded by people with names like Loew, Schneck, Meir, Thalberg etc...

You think being anti-Christian would stop Hollywood funding?

Oy vey, but you're a schmuck.

14. A

other wickerman project

< flagrant plug >

If you want another Wickerman project to succeed - this one you CAN donate to

http://www.themotiongroup.org/

< / flagrant plug >

15. Edward Pearson

Good news.

Awww come on, it would have been bollocks anyway.

The whole charm of the original Wicker man is the twist at the end, thats it, thats what makes the film.

You can't make a sequel along the same lines, as everybody KNOWS what gonna happen. If you're not going to do it along the same lines, then why make it a sequel? Surely start a fresh.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Reading? What sort of dangerous radical are you?

"Unless, of course, we read the book...?"

But if people turn away from their TV screens and start to read books, they might start to think for themselves, and then maybe form an opinion of their own, and before you know it, they'll want things like balanced reporting, real political debate and proper spelling on web forums!

Off to Gitmo with you, dangerous rebel-rousing enemy of the state that you are!

17. theregister@mariegriffiths.co.uk

It should be made

The Nicolas Cage version was dreadful and although the planned official sequal would not be a patch on the original, I believe it would have been a worthwhile film to make and would donate a small amount to have it made.

18. Ben Sugden
    Thumb Up

A crying shame

Although I'm disappointed at the loss of what could have been a great sequel, Lee's comment has me rushing out to buy the book immediately.

"The reason I want to work again with Robin is because he has written a book that is erotic, romantic, comic and horrific enough to loosen the bowels of a bronze statue."

The publishers should paraphrase him in the blurb.

"Literary Senokot" - Christopher Lee

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

No Surprise

Be grateful it is canceled as anything which Dumfries and Galloway Council have anything to do will be vastly over budget, at the very minimum 6 months late and be totally useless.

20. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Thumb Down

It's just not a movie...

It's just not a movie unless it has killer bees.

21. tony trolle

re:It's just not a movie...

It's just not a movie... unless its true to life and have MacChavs as extras.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/6944534.stm

22. Sweep

Good (probably)

Robin Hardy only directed the original film, it was written by Anthony Shaffer. I would say the film turned out brilliantly despite the involvement of Hardy.

To my knowledge Hardy has never written anything you could call good, or directed a decent film other than The Wicker Man, so chances are this film would have been shit. Plus he is by most accounts a bit of a wank, so I won't be buying the book to find out.

Oot.

This topic is closed for new posts.