back to article Vodafone flashes bulging package at Brits: New 4G service to rival EE, O2

Vodafone's new 4G mobile broadband package, announced today for the UK, will include live football or a Spotify Premium subscription, plus three months of unlimited downloads and calls - all for £26 a month. Voda has effectively updated its "Red" tariff by adding a fiver a month onto the price, and including 4G connectivity …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craigie

cap

With a 2 gig cap.

No thanks.

1. IHateWearingATie

Re: cap

It's better than the current EE offer - I struggle to hit the 1GB cap on my phone at the moment - can't see me (or the majority of other punters) hitting the 4GB cap each month (comparable to the £31 a month I pay now)

Voda data capacity in central London still sucks though, so they wouldn't be my provider of choice.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: cap - be grateful :)

Oh for a 2Gb cap! Out here in the good ol' US of A, AT&T are charging me the equivalent of about £37 a month for a 300Mb cap and 200 text messages. My bill cycle starts at the end of the month, we're only 7 days into August and I've already blown 100Mb.

When I was in the UK, I routinely complained about being gouged by the mobile phone companies, but now they somehow look like a good deal.

2. Wibble
    Mushroom

WTF has sport got to do with bandwidth?

One day they'll just offer the bandwidth, but only after it's wrested from a marketeer's cold, dead, hands.

Three's unlimited all-you-can-eat data package is still the best.

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: WTF has sport got to do with bandwidth?

Both it and Spotify are good ways to break the data limit cap so that they can charge you more or push you to buy the higher limit package at extra cost...

2. M Mouse
      Thumb Up

Indeed - 13 quid a month got me a phone and unlimited data. I think the first month used only 17GB (NB no tethering) and well on the way to 60 GB a month. If I had waited until the One Plan SIM only deal dropped to 15 quid, I'd be able to tether and probably hit 100 GB. Think the other networks are laughable when they offer 100 MB, 250 MB, 500 MB and then Orange/EE puts on a TV ad saying they're giving people a "shed load" (1 GB) of data (for a tenner top-up)as if it is something special and generous!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Of course Three are generous with their pricing and data allowances, as by choosing to become a Three customer means you sacrifice being able to use your phone at all when away from large towns/cities - probably not an issue if your world extends no further than the M25.

O2/Voda may have higher prices for a lower data allowance, but if you're one of those folks who would still like to be able to effect calls and texts on your device (If you're under 20, ask your parents about these), you need that 900MHz signal from O2/Voda to keep you connected.

2. deadmonkey

When you say laughable, you understand this just means all the other customers are subsidising your high usage?

3. James 51

The spotify premium is £10 a month, isn't it? But if the streaming comes out of your data cap, might not be that long in chewing your way through it.

1. YetAnotherPasswordToRemeber

I'd like decent 2G first before they start looking at 4G, round here I'm lucky if I get a data connection at all, let alone one that's of any use

1. James 51

In a few years they are going to turn off 2G to expand 4G provision. Still, coverage is still to much of an issue for them to be complacent about it.

2. HMB

This week I have been mostly eating, 12.3 Gb

I have no 2G coverage and I'm very happy with that. I get good reliable voice coverage and data with 3 who have no 2G service at all. 2G isn't as cost efficient so I guess that's one of the reasons that 3 are able to offer me unlimited data for an £18 a month rolling contract.

My connection to 3 is so good I use it to upload large files as it's faster than using my ADSL. (Usually at least 2Mbps, peaking to 5Mbps at night), That's how I hit 12.3 Gb.

4. Ragarath

Free this, free that?

get the free multimedia content

I see no free anything in this package. I see £31 or £26 pounds per month. Do they offer a lower cost opton without these "free" items? Thought not, so not free then.

5. fixit_f

Oh hurrah

Wait a minute. 4G you say? Is this the same Vodafone that barely gives me ANY mobile data signal, in central London and most other cities and towns I tend to visit, and when it does allow me to connect I get sub GPRS speeds never mind anything approaching even 3G?

They used to be the best network out there but they seem to have a badly overloaded data infrastructure now.

6. teapot9999

same day as O2 - of course...

they share the same transmitters of cell towers, only the backend is separate

1. Captain Queeg

Re: same day as O2 - of course...

Given the risible state of O2's backhaul capacity more or less wherever I try to use it, I'd say that's a good thing!

That said, as my iPad on a 3 sim is now *regularly* hitting 15meg I don't think I'll be bothering finding out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: same day as O2 - of course...

Well that's not exactly true is it... both networks have their own equipment on each other's sites. The tower, power & accomodation, and antennas are shared. The equipment is separate. It's a very similar setup to MBNL where EE & 3 share the same grid of sites, traffic is separated within the same pipes until it reaches the core network.

7. Jason 24

Sounds tempting...

My main reason for not having Spotify at the moment is a) 3g is simply to unreliable to jump and switch tracks as I see fit, I need to cache a playlist with wifi before setting off anywhere, so if I've selected a load of random crap the playlist is useless, plus b) 4g (which should be fast enough to allow me to just select anything at any time) doesn't offer near enough data allowance for me to freely jump anywhere on spotify without bankrupting myself, so I'll still be caching stuff before setting off anywhere.

Giving me enough data and spotify in one go, that is awfully tempting.... let's see what the first adopters make of the networks reliability first though...

8. The Dark Lord

Price vs. Quality

"So the UK's second 4G operator to publish its pricing has pegged the cost around the same as the first (EE), choosing to bundle more data and value-added services rather than compete on price. That's probably good news for those hoping for rapid rollout and ubiquitous coverage - even if it's less good for those hoping for cheap 4G."

Hopefully the shocking state of the country's 3G network will make most people realise that it's better to pay a little more for something that works than it is having the operators cutting our service along with our bills.

9. Roger Stenning

It's a nice ofer, to be sure...

..but I'm still leaving them in October when my contract ends, as their coverage where I live, and a lot of the places I visit both for work and leisure, is rubbish (polite version). Hell, their coverage at the local hospital is practically zero, for heavens sake - and this, inside the M25 area, even. As to the data allowance, even though I've got close to a gig (500- megs plus 250 meg bolt-on to make a grand total of 750 megs/month), I can see that being eaten up by 4G and all that streaming content in fairly short order. I use google maps and navigation a LOT, and that eats data too; I'll be going to 3, instead. All you can eat data at no extra charge is one hell of an incentive.

10. Rob Davis

Cities?!

Everywhere please!

11. 5hady
    Facepalm

98% Population or...

98% of the country? I regularly leg it up and down the M11 and also (unfortunately) regularly lose signal at least 3 times per conversation. And not all at the same point geographically! What these mobe companies don't appear to recognise is populations move! I need coverage everywhere, not just where, statistically, people spend more time!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vodafone's 3G was sh*te.

I had BBS with them, surfing the web was ten times as quick, tethering to my three android package, than it was through my phone.

Not to mention, complete dead times, when the request was made, and no response came (like from google, or John Lewis,)

not surprisingly, I've moved absolutely everyone off Vodafone.

13. Andy 70

vodafone coverage

is garbage. i don't care where you are. the 3G displayed on my phone is a lie.

moved the office off vodafone to another carrier. much better.

ditching them when my personal contract ends.

14. chipxtreme

Vodafone is practically just a 2G service where I live so switched to 3 where I regularly get anywhere up to 20mb. I don't think there 4G service would be any better.

1. marky_boi
      Facepalm

you have to pay extra for 4G???

4G is a normal part of the network here in Aussie, you don't pay extra to access it.

No one uses Voda in Australia they are 'on the nose' here, their service stinks and the network sucks.

They keep losing >500,000 customer each 1/2 year, Poor network capacity and crap network outages have contributed to a proposed class action, look for vodafail on google.

I do feel sorry for you Brits as the networks there seem to be a very patchy quilt of supposed network coverage no matter who the operator is...

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. TechGeezer

LTE?

LTE? long term evolution? Of 3G?... Yes, that would be fine if Vodka bothered to supply me with a 3G signal in the first place.. So I have no confidence in them supplying me with an LTE signal.. I'm sorry but they rely on an outdated business model, supplying an outdated service, on outdated and overwhelmed technologies.. And I am in the second city not in some country bumpkin land.

Truth of the matter is that Vodafone is truly shockingly terrible and I wouldn't even recommend their service to a recluse for fear of them not being able to have the opportunity not to make contact....

1. TechGeezer

Re: LTE?

vodka would probably be more useful.. I meant Vodafone.....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good for the consumer

Price-wise, the competition has to be a good thing for the consumer. Service and coverage, I don't think EE has much to worry about for now...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like