back to article Benchmark bods reckon NetApp storage has the edge over Isilon

Analyst outfit DCIG rates NetApp over Isilon for private cloud storage. Which comes as a bit of a surprise to The Register's storage desk. DCIG produces buyers' guides and then sells the rights to distribute these guides to vendors. This raises a suspicion that top-ranked vendors have somehow influenced their position in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bruce Hockin

Practically worthless

These tables hold very little credibility. Practically worthless. There are no apples for apples comparison's here. The are comparing SAN's, NAS's, Unified Solutions, Hyperconverged Platforms, Scale-Out File Systems and Object Stores. All have a different role to play in cloud storage.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Practically worthless

absolutely true! In looking through some of it I couldn't help but think what the criteria was based on.. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind running VMs directly on top of scale out NAS (as much as Isilon and other similar vendors may want you to try to do that). They're pretty good for just bulk file storage operations though.. access them directly from the guest CIFS/NFS .. not through the hypervisor..

1. Storage Guy

@Nate, Eric from EMC Isilon here. I do agree with your points on this. We don't suggest or even support VMs running directly on the storage nodes.

2. Adam 61

Yep i think a lot of the content they review is whats on the vendors website i.e. markitecture

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud=Object?

One can only wonder what DCIG's definition of "private cloud" is. Is it VMware? The support of object/REST protocols? When I hear cloud, I think object protocols yet their highest ranked products, the NetApp filers don't support an object/REST interface. Go figure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like