back to article Chinese Apple suppliers face toxic heavy metal water pollution charges

Chinese environmental regulators have launched an investigation into two Apple suppliers – one being the giant iDevice assembler Foxconn – in response to allegations that the companies' factories are using nearby rivers as dumping grounds for huge amounts of toxic heavy metals. "If you're severely exceeding emissions standards …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It says they are Apple suppliers - but they also supply many other companies. It didn't specifically say this was related to production of iKit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It also says two Chinese Apple suppliers despite neither company being Chinese...

1. Rukario
        Facepalm

"Both companies are based in Taiwan" aka the Republic of China.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Queue the obligatory Tim Cooke "but we didn't know" press release...

... in 3, 2, 1...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Queue the obligatory Tim Cooke "but we didn't know" press release...

"Cue" not "Queue."

2. Dr. Mouse

'"If you're severely exceeding emissions standards, then we will punish you," Chinese environmental regulator Ding Yudong told The Wall Street Journal'

But if you're just exceeding them a little, that's OK.

1. Joe User
      Devil

As long as you remembered to bribeincentivize the right public officials....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clearly

These two companys have fallen behind on their bribe payments.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Boffin

What other companies do we boycott?

Apple is mentioned but who else?

We really deserve to know so the we, the readership can make informed purchasing decisions.

IT is not use continually mentioning only APPLE in these articles. We know that Foxconn make stuff for lots of other companies.

We also need to know if the stuff that Foxconn makes for say Apple uses materieals whoose by-products have been found to have been dumped.

I know that this may sound silly but this endless slagging off of only Apple is getting quite tiring and frankly boring as hell.

No more half stories please?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What other companies do we boycott?

Apple has had nothing but negative press in the past 12 months. But that's fair because in the 12 months preceding that they'd had nothing but positive press.

4. Jim O'Reilly
    Holmes

Time to bring manufacturing home?

With all these negatives from Foxconn, Apple needs to work on their image -a lot!

Since Foxconn is going to roboticise away it's workforce. This might be a good time for Apple to move manufacturing back to robot factories in the US, where the higher standards will protect their name.

Maybe the Feds will give them a tax break on all that foreign cash if they do that?!!?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bog standards

In fairness to Apple (and there's no particular reason why I should be - though I do like my Mac), they audit their suppliers and publish the results. How many other companies which use Foxconn and/or UniMicron can say the same?

My favourite sentence from the 2013 report notes that one supplier was found to be "intentionally dumping waste cutting oil into the restroom receptacle". I assume this means they were pouring it down the bog and flushing it away. This supplier is now on probation.

http://www.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/pdf/Apple_SR_2013_Progress_Report.pdf

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Face it, ALL manufacturers in the area are probably evading every environmental regulation they possibly can, and the only reason that these two get singled out is for the publicity that goes with them being Apple related. It makes it look like something is being done, and with activists involved you'd NEVER suspect that this might just be a publicity ploy, would you.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Indeed, lay off Apple here

The problem is not Apple, it is Foxconn. And Foxconn makes stuff for other companies than Apple.

I have nothing against slagging Apple, but this is a Foxconn problem, not an Apple one.

And yes, I would also like to know what other companies are Foxconn customers.

1. Rukario

Re: Indeed, lay off Apple here

Customers of Foxconn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn#Major_customers

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like