back to article You mean it's not perfect? Google to ship first Chromecast software fix

It's been barely a week since Google launched its micro-sized Chromecast streaming media dongle, yet already the device is poised to receive its first software update. "Today, we are pushing a bug fix update to Chromecast devices to improve performance, reliability and security," Chromecast product manager Ambarish Kenghe …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel

Logitech Revue

I have read a report that the Logitech Revue (GoogleTV) device works as a Chromecast device. Can anyone confirm this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Logitech Revue

"Google has declared that Google TV is not dead, and it did that with some great news for Chromecast fans. Googler Warren Rehman has confirmed that Chromecast support will be coming to the Google TV platform sometime soon. The engineer didn’t give many more details than that — such as when and how support will be arriving — but he did confirm it."

So yes and no unless they have even more recently provided that support. The above announcement was made about 5-days ago.

1. Mikel

My Australian friend confirms that he has cast Youtube from his first-gen Nexus 7 after the recent Android 4.3 update to his Logitech Revue. Not might or will - has. I'm seeking independent confirmation.

1. Mike Brown

streuth! so you dont belive your "friend"? well they are all criminals and murderers.

2. Craigness

But was it via Chromecast? Chromecast-like functionality has been available in the youtube app on phones and smart TVs for quite a while now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How does the user experience stack-up versus plain old HDMI / VGA cables?

Anyone streaming video on a regular basis via Wi-Fi? Is there any lag with 1080P especially? If so, can you fine tune the router to fix this?

1. Mikel
      Pint

Re: How does the user experience stack-up versus plain old HDMI / VGA cables?

Buffering... buffering... no.

My old kit had buffering problems, and had lower rez. Haven't seen the Chromecast go buffer crazy yet and it is definitely FullHD. If I had problems I could get a long HDMI cable and put the Chromecast somewhere that was better - or just put an access point in the room. We have wired gigabit Ethernet in every room. Did that myself some years ago when I had some leftover Cat5E from a job.

2. Craigness

Re: How does the user experience stack-up versus plain old HDMI / VGA cables?

All the stuff on my TV is streamed and there's almost never a problem, but it might depend on your broadband provider. My wifi router was £15 off ebay.

3. MrT

DTX...

"The Network Security Services (NSS) library, which handles SSL, TLS, and other public-key cryptography, has also been updated"

Moving to double secret probation?

4. Tim Parker

"It's been barely a week since Google launched its micro-sized Chromecast streaming media dongle, yet already the device is poised to receive its first software update."

Welcome to the world of software and hardware development - this springs to mind

No campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy

(Field Marshall Helmuth Graf von Moltke)

This topic is closed for new posts.