back to article First Austin, now live across the US: Watch Americans pay by bonk

US pay-by-bonk platform ISIS will go live across the US later this year following the pilots in Salt Lake City and Austin, as network operators make their big play for big data. ISIS is jointly owned by AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon, and has been trialling its electronic wallet for the last nine months. Now it's going national …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe

I was watching the version of CNN customized for airports (at the airport) the other day and there was a repeating infomercial warning people how they could lose their money with NFC enabled devices if they didn't protect their phone with a special case and use the special wallet. Crooks with the right equipment can steal your money just by walking by you! Protect yourself today...

I was kind of shocked at the level of anti-NFC propoganda they were spewing out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not to mention the level of utter rubbish! You have to have a merchant account in order for money from a card to go somewhere. If you have a merchant account, the bank know who you are, where you live, what your business model is and much more besides. This is the sort of thing I expect on ill informed Internet forums, not from CNN.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That is exactly what I expect from CNN.

2. Robert E A Harvey

Leapfrog

So the USA is going to go from mag stripe to NFC and skip chip-n-pin?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Leapfrog

No, the PCI are practically forcing the US to go c'n'p, I believe it's currently being rolled out.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: CnP

A couple of years ago the head of a medium size retail operation told me "It's ridiculous: we would have to change all our terminals". When I told them that everyone in Europe had already done so he didn't believe me!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never, no way, no how.

Will I ever enable this on any device I ever have.

I saw some guys in one of the Dubai Malls last week wafting 'wand' devices at many of the women who walked past them. They were targetting their Handbags. I have to assume that these were NFC receivers and they were harvesting data.

Just transpose this to a crowded subway car? Nope, not interested in the slightest.

so what if they have to have a merchant account? That sure hasn't stopped the other Card thieves who simply transfer your money to their account. By the time you notice, they have closed the account and disappeared.

Anon simply because I don't want to be targetted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Never, no way, no how.

Maybe they were just trying to wind up the paranoid. It seems to have worked.

2. Don Jefe
      Happy

I thought you'd get in deep shit for waving your wand at women in Dubai.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In that country, it would be the woman that would be in real trouble. They can't even go to the police after they have been raped without being arrested for their part in that sex crime; being a female.

4. Paul Wells

Still no Chip & Pin though

Just finished my annual questioning of US credit card issuers to try and get a C&P credit card - only found one place but the hold times to talk to any one were regularly over half an hour so didn't really want to go with them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like