back to article Moto X specs leaked ahead of expected August 1 launch

A set of leaked specifications for Motorola's Moto X handset show the smartphone will be running a new build of Android at its expected launch on August 1 at an event in New York. According to a spec sheet obtained by Android Police the new handset will have a relatively modest 4.7-inch display running in a distinctly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. William Donelson

Oh, Joy! -Samsung, HTC, et al

Google's Android partners will be thrilled!

1. mIRCat
      Paris Hilton

Re: Oh, Joy! -Samsung, HTC, et al

Yeah, why is that?

2. Irongut

Re: Oh, Joy! -Samsung, HTC, et al

Samsung won't bat an eyelid. The S3 has a better spec, let alone the S4.

2. Gunda

The specs are positively outdated. What is Motorola thinking?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

specs are everything, actual usage be damned.

For all its worth, I only use my phone as a 'kindle' (ebook reader), read/write email/chat, some web browsing, listen to music, and once in a while watch videos. Oh, and every other blue moon I might make a phone call. Dual-core is plenty to many of us; they should increase the battery life instead of increasing core/MHz count or screen resolution.

That being said, more storage space would have been welcomed.

2. Shagbag

Outdated specs

Yeah, I thought that. Then I looked at the photo - all female, all <35yo. On a second look, it appears they're all circa 35 but "dressing young".

It's obvious who Motorola are targetting with the X - and it's not your tech-savvy male. MILFs who want to look young again. That's my take on the advert.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Re: Outdated specs

"Yeah, I thought that. Then I looked at the photo - all female, all <35yo. On a second look, it appears they're all circa 35 but "dressing young". It's obvious who Motorola are targetting with the X - and it's not your tech-savvy male. MILFs who want to look young again. That's my take on the advert.

So - hypothetically, of course - if I carry a Moto X, then these women will be impressed with my taste? Order placed!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's wrong with the specs?

I suppose you're deluded enough to think that the difference between dual core and quad core actually matters in a phone? Or that the difference between 720p[*] and 1080p matters in a 4.7" screen, unless perhaps you're so nearsighted you hold your phone 3" from your face? It sounds like its pixel density will be slightly less than the iPhone, which is just fine except for those who want to be able to claim their phone is 'better' because it has more pixels you cannot see.

It is ridiculous how people are complaining about this phone and saying they won't consider it if it doesn't have a 1080p display. I wonder if in a few years someone will introduce a phone with a 4K display, and there will be people who will consider a 1080p phone "outdated". Don't laugh, if two years ago when the first 720p phones were introduced I suggested some people would find a 720p display unacceptable they'd think I was crazy.

[*]I'm assuming they're wrong in saying it is 720x1184 and it is actually 720x1280, and thus aren't inventing a new 14.8:9 aspect ratio. Or maybe it has something to do with this talk of it being 4.5" with the on screen buttons, so it is 1280 pixels tall but only 1184 are visible when the on screen buttons are shown?

4. Piro Silver badge

I totally disagree

1.7GHz Krait dual and Adreno 320 is a perfectly decent chipset. Most devices with it so far have had 1GB RAM, though, so pairing it with 2GB equals - in my opinion - a decent blend of performance / power use.

1. NoOneSpecific

Re: I totally disagree

You might well be right but MOST people are just looking at the numbers and given that would look at something similar like the HTC One with it's Snapdragon 600 quad core and 2Gig etc., etc.

5. Craigness

It's 312 ppi (beyond retina, contrary to the article) and, if it uses the same X8 chipset the new Droids have, it's actually an octo-core being misreported as a dual-core: 2 cores for normal processes, 4 for graphics, 1 for contextual stuff and 1 for natural language processing. With that setup the battery life might be superb even with a smaller mAh number than other phones.

3. Shagbag
    Headmaster

"The handset itself"

Redundancy or tautology?

4. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Meh

Android 4.2.2?

Surely it's time for Kumquat Slushie, or whatever v4.3 or v5 will be called? I can't see the point of releasing a middle-of-the-road handset like this without a new version of Android.

Unless they're going to try and sell it for £80, or something?

GJC

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Re: Android 4.2.2?

Ah, looks like that might be a typo in the article, given the context. We shall see.

GJC

2. oolor

Re: Android 4.2.2?

Kumquat Slushie - nice, worth an upvote

Announcement tomorrow, I'd bet that a new Android, and 7-8 inch tablet replacement for nexus 7 are on tap, fits nicely with Motorola announcement the week after.

Simply getting the device to market and building up buzz like nexus 4 saw last year could sway quite a few potential iPhone buyers, whether they are waiting for the cheap or pricey new version. My guess is this is what the main point is. Same for the tablet, make a version that gets out before the new mini and has the specs to compete at the high end while priced lower than the cheapest Apple product.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The best selling point

It's not a decrepit iFolly! You will not be Borg’d.

6. WalterWonkite

Cobblers

Yes then they'll release a 16GB version in the UK with a fixed battery and no SD card. Utter rubbish and a waste if time an money.

7. Mark .

My 20" flat screen TV has a much higher PPI than your 50"!

"a distinctly unretinal resolution of 720-by-1184 pixels"

Yet it's still slightly higher than the "retina" latest iphone which is at 640×1136.

I know, Apple go by "density", but that's a poor measure, as it rewards phones for having smaller displays. If I have a 4.7" Moto X, and you make it smaller, and reduce the resolution slightly, you've done two things to make it worse for me - I fail to see how one can spin that to say it's made it better. I have a 4.65" Galaxy Nexus, and I'd rather that size and resolution over 4" 640x1136 any day - I don't care how well it compares on some contrived statistic.

Imagine doing the same thing for TVs? Should I replace my big flat screen TV with a much smaller one, because "ooh, it'll look 'sharper', because of the higher density". No one buys smaller TVs because they think it'll be a better display. Should visits to the cinema treat us with, rather than huge screens, instead tiny postage stamp screens, for us to enjoy the incredible pixel density? The same argument would suggest we should sit miles away from our TVs, so the perceived visual density is higher. Making a device larger with the same resolution might make it look less smooth, but that's just showing up the low resolution it had in the first place - a smaller device doesn't magically have more information or more quality, it's just that you aren't able to see the poorer quality resolution in the first place.

The Moto X is low compared to the now standard Full HD among high end smartphones, but I guess not everyone needs or cares about that, it still seems a reasonable phone for many.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like