back to article Yahoooo! - Activist! investor! leaps! overboard! jingling! with! cash!

Activist investor Daniel Loeb is stepping down from Yahoo!'s board and giving up a chunk of his outfit Third Point's stake in exchange for a healthy payoff now that shares have risen. Loeb took credit for the uplift in Yahoo!'s fortunes in a statement, hinting that agitating his way onto the board along with two of his chosen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stephen Blake

Dead! Horse! Being! Flogged!

Seriously guys, the whole "exclaim every word" joke is so far beyond dead it is annoying me to see it pop up in my feeds. Find some new material before we get bored and leave to try other news sites.

1. CCCP

Re: Dead! Horse! Being! Flogged!

Your sense of irony has gone missing. Oh wait, you just used it in the title of your post. Carry on.

2. Mikel

other news sites.

Well, bye.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That sure sounds like a classic hump and dump

3. Turtle

Hey...

"Activist investor Daniel Loeb is stepping down from Yahoo!'s board and giving up a chunk of his outfit Third Point's stake in exchange for a healthy payoff now that shares have risen."

Hey Danny, now that you've got some free time, how about you do me and some other people a favor and take a look at Microsoft, eh?

1. Herby

Re: Hey...

For all we know, he looked at Microsoft and decided that it was too far gone. Who knows? Maybe he will come back and have Yahoo! buy up Microsoft.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

2. Mikel

Microsoft is too big a fish for him. Warren Buffet might tackle it, but he's not one to meddle in tech and hasn't got the energy left to win. Besides, he plays in Bill's charitable efforts so would shy away for that reason if no other.

Ballmer will be well away in four years, when his daughter graduates college. Patience.

3. Daniel B.
      Trollface

Who should get into MSFT is Icahn. He's an expert at destroying companies, which is probably what MS needs these days. If they're going to crash and burn, at least they should do so with "style"!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Activist investor? Sure thing

I think the word "greenmail" - sort of like extortion, but legal if you live on Wall Street.

1. Don Jefe
      Thumb Up

Re: Activist investor? Sure thing

Agreed, Yahoo! Is better off buying him off than to continue dealing with his incessant badgering.

5. Moonshine
    Gimp

Marissa...

Lovely.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Gert Leboski
      Thumb Up

Re: Marissa...

I concur.

Hottest woman in big business by a long way. A pleasure to have her in the tech industry.

6. Euripides Pants
    WTF?

"...played key roles in Yahoo's resurgence since we joined the Board last spring,"

I'll have some of what he's smokin'

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: "...played key roles in Yahoo's resurgence since we joined the Board last spring,"

Even rich investor types need an attention grabbing resume. They have the advantage of having theirs published in the papers & such.

7. Shannon Jacobs

Such a bright future...

Yahoo has such a bright future that he wants no part of it? Take the money and run.

Like he contributed a big fart to the success?

Seriously, since Yahoo is becoming the best friend of spammers, I'm increasingly convinced the best thing for everyone would be immediate bankruptcy. Yes, it would inconvenience lots of people--but especially the spammers. I'm guessing Yahoo will never get desperate enough to react.

Hint: How about mail-system-integrated anti-spammer tools that target every part of the spammers' business models? ALL of the spammers' infrastructure and ALL of spammers' accomplices. Separate the spammers from ALL of the suckers who feed them.

Turn some of that spammer hatred into Yahoo fondness? ROFLMAO at Yahoo.

8. Fihart

Perhaps he tried using the new Yahoo Mail.

Long term users were recently corralled out of Yahoo Mail Classic and into "new" Yahoo Mail or a Lite variation thereof. The Lite version has been playing up recently, returning "Server Hangup" error message when one attempts to insert addressees or attach files.

Cue lots grumbling from users already upset at being forcibly evicted from Classic to bland looking New Yahoo Mail(s). Plus, of course, some misadventures with account hijacking and spam.

Perhaps said leading investor agrees with users like me that Yahoo would be better off fixing its products rather than buying up other brands and pursuing the chimera of a social network (that boat sailed long ago).

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Doubled since last spring, eh ?

Let's see what the numbers say.

Last Spring was around March, if I'm not mistaken, but it's obvious that February is the reference. February value was 19.77.

Double that is 39.54.

Current price as of July 1st was 25.26, so there is 14.28 missing, which makes more than a third (36%) less than what he states.

For his claim to be valid, you have to go back to September 2012, and I don't remember Spring ever happening in September, even with the crazy weather we're having these days.

Conclusion : the numbers say his claim is bullshit.

Secondary conclusion : he's probably so full of it that he actually believes the bull he spouts.

1. Ed_UK

Re: Doubled since last spring, eh ?

"For his claim to be valid, you have to go back to September 2012, and I don't remember Spring ever happening in September, even with the crazy weather we're having these days."

Southern hemisphere, innit?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like