back to article Tango down! Chat app millions ransacked by pro-Assad hacktivists

Hacktivists loyal to Syria's president Bashar al-Assad claim to have extracted 1.5TB of sensitive data from chat app Tango. The Syrian Electronic Army, best known for hacking into the official Twitter feeds of the Associated Press and The Guardian, boasted it swiped the mobile numbers and contact details of millions of users …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. taxman
    Mushroom

Iconic

Better late than never to start introducing security. Wordpress.....!

2. Bumpy Cat

Who?

Tango chat app? Never heard of it.

Keep going, Syrian Electronic Army! Another unknown chat app down! Surely that will drive the infidels from their strongholds!

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

WTF?

"Much of the information in the databases that were downloaded will be delivered to the Syrian government,"

And...............................?

They haven't really thought this through, have they?

1. FrankAlphaXII
      FAIL

Re: WTF?

And maybe they'll get some "evidence" and hand it over to a Shaiba death squad to rob, rape and maybe kill a rebel sympathizer or two. I seriously doubt the Free Syrian Army was using something like Tango for C4I.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: WTF?

The fun thing about Syria is that you get deathsquatted by BOTH SIDES. What do?

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Facepalm

Hurrddurrrr

Tango was hit thanks to a vulnerable WordPress installation

Maybe people should stop using integrated third-party WebShit 2.0 left and right (those dozens of integrated flypapers icons that NoScript always complains about) and have dedicated secure tools.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Hurrddurrrr

Great. So the syrian gov now has thousands of teenagers phone numbers, logins for a chat app and millions of pictures of teenage Nobs and tits.

I can see this being of huge use to the war effort.

Top. Work. Lads.

"General, we did it, we have 15TB of infidel-boobs, step 2 ?? Step 3 - win the war + PROFIT"

1. gryzor

Re: Hurrddurrrr

Yeah, I don't see the meaning in this either, but maybe you'll wanna read up on the Syrian conflict: the Assad side is secular, its the other guys who would go on about 'infidels'.

This topic is closed for new posts.