back to article Premier League boots footie-streaming site off Blighty's interwebs

The Premier League has won a court order to force UK ISPs to block footie streaming service FirstRow1.eu in Blighty. The High Court has ruled that the popular Swedish site's links to football match streams from around the world are a breach of copyright and will order the site to be blocked by ISPs including Sky, Virgin, BT …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Locky

I give it a day

Before FirstRow2.eu is registered...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I give it a day

"Before FirstRow2.eu is registered..."

or FirstRow1-VPN.eu

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I give it a day

As the site is only links, so can be pretty much text based there's very little reason why it couldn't be up and running at a new location within the hour.

2. richard 7

Hang on...

"The judgment recognises the parasitic nature of the enterprise"

Was he talking about the site or the Premier league and its associated vastly overpaid wastes of space?

1. wowfood

Re: Hang on...

"It is absolutely imperative that content industries are afforded protection under the law if they are to continue investing in the sort of quality talent and facilities that has made them successful and of interest in the first place," a Premier League spokesperson said.

Considering the fact that many footballers make more in a week than most of us will in a decade, I imagine it must be the premiership they're talking about.

2. Dazed and Confused

The judgment recognises the parasitic nature of ...

businesses being allowed to drive a coach and horse through the whole concept of the freedom of movement of goods and services throughout the EU. This judgement says that people with the sort of money the Prem has can ignore the laws or payoff people to have them rewritten in their favour, even when doing so goes against the whole idea of the "Common Market".

When VW/Audi were found to be making it difficult for their German customers to buys their cars in Italy the EU slapped them with a bloody great fine. Yet it seems the Prem can charge different rates in different territories with impunity. Get real judge. Sure people should be able to do this for free but megadosh businesses should equally be made subject to the law which the rest of us have to live by.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

This is a UK judge, not a EU one. This could play out quite a bit further.

Especially given the decision about greek TV feeds.

3. Kevin Fairhurst

Thanks to this court order....

There's another streaming website that I know about now! Barbra Streisand!

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Thanks to this court order....

Yes, the Streisand effect. That was my first thought too!

I can imagine many people will be firing up their vpn's.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice website, thanks for the heads-up Premier League.

5. Anomalous Cowshed

Those salaries must be protected

You cannot allow people to stream stuff for free or on the cheap when you have to pay salaries of £5-10 million to EACH of your front-line employees and to your agents, lawyers, consultants...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Those salaries must be protected

I know, how will Wayne Roony afford his 7th super yacht if those of us who can barely afford to rend don't pay absurd amounts to watch him look like a potato on TV.

1. MJI Silver badge

Potatoes

They are more interesting.

Following a trailer full, watching them fall off on a bump and the locals run out and collect them!

More exciting than football

6. Velv

"estimated revenues of up to £10m a year, whilst giving nothing back to the sport"

Yes, because Sky and BT are giving SO much more back to the SPORT. Sport is being killed by the money.

We're paying for the figures our children idolise, and we're not really getting something worthy. While it could be argued business is business, we all get what we pay for - good to see that popularity is dragging the world down to the lowest common denominator.

I'm not suggesting the streaming should exist, but to simply suggest it is depriving the poor suffering world of Premiership soccer is the wrong perspective for a caring society. They probably snort £10m of Cocaine a year.

7. Justicesays
    Trollface

I can hardly wait

Until the camels back breaks, and they run out of gullible billionaires to buy the failing clubs.

The sooner the whole rotten edifice falls over and the world suddenly discovers that a nob-end with the personality of a carrot who is able to kick a ball a bit is not really worth $100s of millions the better.

My only concern is the probable economic downturn this will cause as billions of $ suddenly "vanish".

And that our equally useless and overvalued leaders will decide its a great plan to spend public money to buy out the football clubs because "they are too important to fail". And then sell them to their mates at below the market rate afterwards of course.

8. g e

VPN

Meh.

Not that you'll every find me watching football anyway though I believe quite a lot of people do. Whether there's any demographic intersection between people who know what a VPN is and footballists is another matter, mind you.

All for starving greedy companies of revenue, all the same.

1. Roger Greenwood
      Pint

Re: VPN

"demographic intersection" is surely the phrase of the day when discussing football.

9. lglethal Silver badge

Oh please, oh please...

... let someone bring up a case against Google or YouTube using this as an argument...

"YouTube aggregates together a large number of streams from a variety of streamers, indexes them for the convenience of the user and provides a simple link for the user to click on in order to access a specific stream," Justice Richard Arnold said.

"It is true that the technical effect of clicking on the link is to direct the stream from the UCG site to the user's computer, but even so the stream is presented in a frame provided by YouTube. In all the circumstances, I consider that YouTubeis responsible for the communication. ""

Fixed that for you!

10. Tsung
    FAIL

Own Goal?

Never heard of firstrow1.eu until this court case / news article. So now I feel compelled to go check it out. I wonder how many other people will start using the site who have never heard of it before?

Internet blocks don't work, but lets not tell the courts that...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

P*ssing in the wind. There are hundreds of the things. Thousands. You can ALWAYS find a stream. Of any major sporting event.

And well done everyone who thought commenting just to make sure everyone knows they don't like football was worthwhile. Top work.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blighty? Pah...

Another finger in the dyke. At some point they will run out of fingers and realise that perhaps they should revisit their business model and charge less.

Until then, I actually pay a national TV company $28 a season to be able to watch every single PL match online, in decent quality. Naturally, it isn't a British company but with VPNs I can be whichever nationality I like.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blighty? Pah...

"Another finger in the dyke."

I thought this thread was about football, not grumble flicks??

Mind you, there are probably just as many dodgy streaming sites providing both types of entertainment.

13. MikeyD85

Darn it

FirstRow was my place to go after myP2P got killed.

I'm sure a quick FB status will inform me of another place.

Speaking of which - how many variants of TPB are there now?

14. SirDigalot

They do the same

over here with NFL, can't watch you favourite team unless you have a really expensive package with a satellite provider.

Funny the minor league allows you to buy individual games streamed online or a season pass for whatever team you like. I am pretty sure the major league teams would make a killing doing that, but I guess they have already done that calculation.

I really do not want ALL the teams just the team I want to watch... I also do not want satellite I guess I am picky, and I guess they do not appreciate that people do actually move around the country/globe these days, it is not the early 20thC any more!

15. Shasta McNasty
    WTF?

So the difference with this and google is....

"...FirstRow aggregates together a large number of streams from a variety of streamers, indexes them for the convenience of the user and provides a simple link for the user to click on..."

"...the stream is presented in a frame provided by FirstRow..."

So is the judge's beef with the fact that FirstRow puts it in a frame? Besides that, its no different to Google (vast army of lawyers notwithstanding).

The only way to impact any form of online "piracy" is to offer the same goods online at the same time but don't take the piss with the price.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems to have moved to Firstrowuk.eu

That really worked well then.

I used something else after myp2p got killed but I'll sure be adding this to my list now.

17. Only me!
    Meh

UK Gov V Premier Leauge

This is a nice set of stories today.............................

1. UK Gov charge £56M for calling them

2. Steams from Premier League get cut

SKY charge more and more ..... a few select people agents, players, hangers on, etc. get paid a few extra million each a year

Gov charges poorest to say "Where is my pension money this week?"

Just trying to get my head around equality today.

My head hurts!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The actually went to court over this and it wasnt thrown out as a waste of time???

For fucks sake its only a game, a game played by dullards and watched by fuckwits.

This topic is closed for new posts.