back to article Japanese boffins could save UK from economic doom

Japanese boffins believe they may have developed a means of reversing cirrhosis of the liver among rats and perhaps people, in a development with far-reaching consequences for professional cricketers, hellraising movie stars, layabout drunks, politicians, economists, Catholic priests, journalists and others whose jobs require …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roger Greenwood

Funniest thing

I've read since Fridays BOFH

Well done Lewis

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good job

This is the best description of scientific research i have seen on the mighty t'internet, Bravo!

3. Pete Mallam
    Thumb Up

Awesome!

Love the tone.

4. Rick
    Thumb Up

Onward

Im suprised no one in the US researched this? But they do have a thing for the saki over there. Full speed ahead!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Really lame joke alert.

I think we can all chip in and get those scientists a round or two for their troubles!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I'm off to the gym...

...to cancel my membership!

7. ian
    Coat

"Ready in a few years"

Brilliant! If I start now, my liver should well pickled just in time.

Mine's the one with the half-consumed bottle of paint thinner in the pocket,.

8. kain preacher

@rick

"Im suprised no one in the US researched this? But they do have a thing for the saki over there. "\

Simple. It one way to get rid of politicians. I also believe cocaine should be free to politicians too.

Wait before you say do you really want drunken high people running this country, look at congress and then look at out prez, The fast these people can off them self's the better

9. Mark Jan
    Paris Hilton

Rat-arsed?

Do rats get human-arsed then?

Obviously Paris as she's no doubt been shafted right up the **** whilst been rat-arsed (allegedly).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good work boffins

Two pints of lager and a pack of vitamin A–coupled liposomes please.

Great article BTW.

11. Pierre
    Stop

Stop sensationalism

ready for human in 10 years, yeah right, shurely, that's not as if siRNAs by themselves had secondary effects, right? Not as if uncontrolable fibroblast proliferation (and subsequent collagen accumulation) had deeper origins, like the decreasing proliferation capacity of hepatocytes. Not as if rodents and humans had different metabolisms. Not as if the study didn't involve any actual cause of human liver disease. Not as if....

OK. There MIGHT be something there. But my money is on the "100 years before efficient human therapy" hypothesis, not 10 years. US scientists rank first in my personal pantheon of bullshitters-for-moneyz (and media attention) [I was very impressed by the claim "we can cure cystic fibrosis by gene therapy", rapidly followed by the death of a young boy and the slow death of the gene therapy approach), but Japan is apparently catching up. Yay Japan!

Forgive the over-enthusiastic comment, it's almost spring, here in .ca

This topic is closed for new posts.