back to article Internet evildoers stitch together vile ransomware-survey scam chimaera

Internet Igors have fused genomes from two of the web's most noxious scam strains to create a repulsive chimaera. The new ransomware doing the rounds locks up victims' PCs before forcing their users to complete a survey in order to receive an unlock code. Traditional ransomware scams typically involving locking up systems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jess

The ransomware strain blocks .... the Start Menu

Not so good on windows 8 then.

So it is more secure.

If you do the survey does it give you a free start menu?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Jess

I wouldn't jump to conclusions because "strain blocking" could mean just about anything. If they somehow managed to intercept any mouse activity which happens in the lower left corner then Windows 8 would still end up vulnerable.

1. JulianB

Re: @Jess

I don't think "strain blocking" means anything. I parse the sentence as "this strain of ransomware blocks..."

2. jake Silver badge

Hi.

I'm conducting an internet survey. Click here.

Idiots abound ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Hi.

That technique only works if you use Chrome

2. adnim
      Joke

@jake Re: Hi.

Your link doesn't work.

3. Elmer Phud
    Pirate

Double your fun

"The new ransomware doing the rounds locks up victims' PCs before forcing their users to complete a survey in order to receive an unlock code."

Nice -- 'Just how much of a dick are you, click here to find out."

4. David Pollard

Southern Electric

Data harvesting seems to be quite popular these days even without the internet. Southern Electric's trawling may be a mild example and is some way short of being a ransom demand, but it does seem to show how big business really wants your profile.

Having almost completed a debit card payment of my electricty bill by touch-tone 'phone, my call was intercepted by an operator who asked for account and payment details. So I provided the details again verbally. After taking these he then requested my date of birth, "for security purposes". I said this was unnecessary and I would not provide it, to which he replied, "In that case I can't take your payment." He then hung up.

Having checked, Southern Electric now say that they don't actually have any record of my date of birth. Presumably "security purposes" could cover requests for quite a range of personal details.

5. Esskay
    Happy

So... That El Reg survey that just popped up - I should keep on ignoring it?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Repulsive noxious genome chimaera ransomware strain

When are Google and Apple going to be held account for infesting the Internet with all this computer malware?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like