back to article Google and Apple's couples therapy is working – Schmidt

Google chair Eric Schmidt has said that his firm and Apple have learned how to get along a little better in the last year and have held "lots and lots" of meetings. Schmidt told reporters at the Allen & Co media conference in Idaho that he has "a lot of respect" for the fruity firm, Bloomberg, Reuters and others reported. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RonWheeler
    Windows

Google copies Apple now

Seems Big G is jealous of Apple's ability to completely bugger up their mapping software. So decided to remove offline mode in google Maps to equally screw up their own. Slow clap.

1. Bornhuetter
      Paris Hilton

Re: Google copies Apple now

They have already added back offline maps functionality.

http://www.zdnet.com/google-reinstates-offline-maps-for-android-after-public-censure-7000017977/

1. RonWheeler

Re: Google copies Apple now

You actually tried the OK maps backpedal? Still pretty broken. Hopefully they unbreak it properly soon.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"But Schmidt said that while they were "two proud, well-run, different companies", they were trying to find some common ground."

They found their common ground. Handing all their users data straight over to the government without any objections whatsoever. You can include Microsoft in that group as well for backdooring any encryption in Outlook and giving access to skydrive files.

They are free to offer whatever product and services they choose. I am free to use open source programs I compile myself and communicate with "non-approved" encryption methods. You won't be fooling me again ladies and gentlemen. My business data, client info, and anything I write to friends and family is private and you can keep your damn noses out of it.

PRISM was active during the Boston bombings. I am betting someone somewhere is calling for more intrusive methods for more security. This house of cards is destined to come crashing down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You give out your realtime location every time you carry a mobile phone.

Your credit history tells any company that cares to check what your finances are like, including your balances and repayments.

Where you use your credit, debit or loyalty cards is stored and profiled and sold. Is it a great mystery why supermarkets have got into the banking sector? End-to-end monitoring of peoples expenditure.

PRISM is only a revelation to those that have been living in a cave for the last 10+ years. I'd wager at least half of the people that complain so vociferously about the sanctity of their privacy have no qualms about posting their life on Facebook for anyone who cares to read it (including Facebook itself).

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

"......have no qualms about posting their life on Facebook for anyone who cares to read it (including Facebook itself)."

There is a lot of stuff known about me by others simply because I live in a village. Many people know my date of birth, and my parents (including my mums maiden name), the car I drive, where I work, when I'm sick etc...

I am, therefore, happy to share online things which are already common knowledge for many. I lived in London for many years, so I understand how this concept could be alien to many..

2. Arctic fox

RE:"Handing all their users data straight over to the government............

...............without any objections whatsoever."

The sad thing is that one cannot rely on any part of the media to report these matters without having their own commercial and/or political agenda. Anyone who has read "Guardian Tech" in recent years will have noticed that they are regularly bottom kissing very friendly to Cupertino (and many of their posters have raised questions concerning a possible commercial relationship with the fruity company). Their headline this morning would have given the ordinary punter the impression that it is largely Redmond who is cooperating with the NSA when we are (here at any rate) aware that this is far from the case.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

They put this on their front page* - I have yet to see the same coverage of the major tech companies, "cooperation" being given the same prominence. I am not for one moment excusing MS' behaviour, just wondering who is pursuing what agenda.

*Normally very unusual for a tech piece at the Graun, unless it is a friendly piece of puff on behalf of you-know-who.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Re: RE:"Handing all their users data straight over to the government............

The same is true of the BBC. They, too, are regularly accused of Apple bias in both their tech reporting (particularly by commentards in Rory Cellen Jones' blog ) and in their apps (especially iPlayer mobile).

3. NogginTheNog

Friggin' marvellous!

So Google are busy hoovering up the world's online habits with Search, Chrome, and Android. Content with GMail, Plus, Maps, et al. Give it a few years and they'll be in every car sucking up as much as they can from there, and selling that on?!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like