back to article Watch LIVE tomorrow: LOHAN team attempts second pop at SPEARS

This afternoon, The Register's Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) team will assemble in Blighty's Baikonur (aka Brightwalton, Berkshire) ahead of tomorrow's flight of the Special Project Electronic Altitude Release System (SPEARS) control board. Specifically, this is a test flight to check that the aforementioned …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukgnome
    Pirate

Salutations to the Playmobil Frogman - I salute you.

Darwin speed my flippered friend!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought you weren't allowed aero mobile?

I thought a previous posting had said you weren't allowed to transmit amateur radio aeronautical mobile?

1. daveake

Re: I thought you weren't allowed aero mobile?

This is correct.

Which funnily enough is why we aren't :)

All transmitters are using a license-free frequency/power, explicitly allowed for airborne use.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry - the comment about "70cm" made me think you were in the ham bands.

1. Jess--

the frequency in use IS within the 70cm ham band which is allocated to ham radio on a secondary basis (the primary user is the military) another secondary user is ISM (Industrial, Scientific & Medical) which are allowed to operate from the air, license free but have a max power limit of 10mW.

those of us that launch balloons and hold ham licenses have to make sure that the balloon does not identify itself using our callsign while it is in the air since that would be an instant breach of our ham license conditions

3. LAGMonkey

Im looking forward to it...

And shall be deploying every screen/laptop i have in order to watch as much of the coverage as possible.

Good luck with the launch, and beers all round for what ever happens.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's hoping it works

As I contributed quite a few ideas for this.

Just a thought, but how hard would it be to hack a TV Rx module rinsed from a broken LCD as a makeshift 434Mhz receiver?

I am led to believe that they work fine at this frequency if the tuner is slightly modified by changing the voltage going to the tuning diode below or above the typical 33V used with a trimpot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Here's hoping it works

I don't know about UK TV channel assignments, but for the US, setting a TV's tuner to "cable" mode vs. "antenna" mode will allow it to tune the 70cm band's assigned ATV frequency as (IIRC) cable channel 62 or some such.

5. Alan Esworthy
    Thumb Up

Abuzz with excitement

I'll be following your progress online and will try for the streamed launch and chase video. Who will be operating the Digital Instrumentation Laboratory and Downrange Observatory? I'm sure she's quivering with anticipation.

6. cortland

Closer to home in the USA -- Grand Rapids (MI) Press

Race to space: Grandville High School robotic team attempts new altitude record

By Monica Scott | mscott2@mlive.com

on July 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM, updated July 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

The Grandville High School RoboDawgs on Friday, July 12, conducted the next in their series of launches in their Race to Space to reach ever-increasing heights and gather data about winds, air quality, and atmospheric conditions. Grandville RoboDawgs

GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Grandville High School robotics teams, the RoboDawgs, which has developed remote controlled and fully autonomous land and water drones, pushed toward space Friday, July 12.

The RoboDawgs began their so-called Race to Space in

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/07/race_to_space_grandville_high.html#incart_river

This topic is closed for new posts.