back to article Google Groups blunder exposes thousands of Japanese govt emails

The Japanese government has admitted sharing thousands of email conversations with world+dog after a mix-up over Google Groups' privacy settings. Officials from several ministries shared messages on the free web-based service without realising that the default setting is for public access to all discussions, the Daily Yomiuri …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But - transparency is supposed to be good

Why is a democratically elected government so concerned about holding secret negotiations? If these goofballs would open up their processes and stop trying to keep so many secrets, governance would probably be a lot cheaper, more effective, and more acceptable to the "governed".

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: But - transparency is supposed to be good

You know what Hillary Klingon has to say to that. Just check her comments when the story of State Department sniffing broke.

2. Don Jefe

Re: But - transparency is supposed to be good

The fact they are elected officials says it all. Anyone who wants a politicians job is by default the worst sort of person to give the job to. They're after something, money, power, etc and they figure being in government is the best way to fulfill their wishes. Douglas Adams, among others, talked about how anyone capable of being elected for a role should not be allowed to serve in that role. He's right.

2. Martin 71 Silver badge

Once again

A headline crafted to make us think the google department of the US government is the problem, whereas it was actually ignorance of basic online security (hint, if it's online, it's not secure) was the actual problem

3. jake Silver badge

"the ministry has apparently begun an investigation into the accidental leak"

Accidental? Shirley you misplelled "clueless fucking idiotic leak"?

Anyone using the gootards solution deserves what they get. IMO, anyway.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

So what did they say to each other? Talk about tea ceremonies?

“Our security awareness was weak”

Followed by ritual sepukku...

1. nematoad
      Happy

Re: So what did they say to each other? Talk about tea ceremonies?

“Our security awareness was non-existent,”

There fixed it for you.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: So what did they say to each other? Talk about tea ceremonies?

You must maintain face, grasshopper!

5. Sir Barry

So it isn't just UK Gov that is incompetent....

Why would any government/official body/corporation use cloud services anyway?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Why ... use cloud services anyway?"

"Why would any government/official body/corporation use cloud services anyway?"

Because in comparison with the typical government/corporate IT department/outsourcer, "the cloud" is cheap, convenient, and readily available.

Reliability has always been a potential issue (easily swept under the carpet most of the time).

And for those who weren't worried too much about confidentiality in the cloud: don't say we didn't warn you.

1. taxman
        Big Brother

Re: "Why ... use cloud services anyway?"

Because the ears of the Cabinet Office are being tweaked and spoken into by those who have a personal interest in 'Cloud' perhaps? Why listen to Civil Servants who only go on about recognising risks when the world is being promised to you by industry experts?

Emporer's clothes again.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what an idea.

I think I'll log in and check the status of my groups...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If government can read my emails, why can I not read theirs?

1. Don Jefe

Even though I have no idea who you are, I'm pretty certain your emails are more interesting that those of any government.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like