back to article Snowden, schmoden. Let's talk about crushing hackers, say US'n'China

China and the US were able to set aside their cyber-spying-oneupmanship at a meeting yesterday, with officials from both sides agreeing to improving cooperation in tackling hackers. Before representatives met to talk about computer security defences, China had made much of whistleblower Edward Snowden's revelations about the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arctic fox
    Facepalm

"America's web snooping doesn't derail cosy security confab"

Why would it? Both the American and Chinese governments (regardless in America's case of which party is in power) have exactly the same attitude to their populations. As has the UK government of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He has a way out..... Just

A quick train trip to Vladivostok, and either a quiet sea trip avoiding US hunter killer subs or a private jet across the Pacific and in by the back door.

2. Ian 62

"So, we've got all this data we've hoovered up on people that have VPN'd out of the Great Firewall", says Uncle NSA.

"Oh good, we've got all this data we've hacked from you and other places around the world", says the Peoples Party.

Simultaneously.. "Shall we trade?"

"Great, we can now hunt down some more disidents"

"And we can avoid that pesky Constitution"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's like the old saying....

It's like the old saying:

"Don't steal - the government hates the competition."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

163data.com.cn

Maybe China can start by shutting down 163data.com.cn which seems to exist purely to send spam and attempt to break into servers. Has anyone ever seen any valid traffic from their address range?

5. alain williams Silver badge

The real transcript of the meeting

USA: OK, I admit that we were trying to crack your machines

China: We both knew that we were probing each other's cracks and knew that the other knew. We just did not like being honest about it.

USA: Friends again ?

China: Let's shake on it.

USA & China: Great, we can now go back to spying on who really worries us: our own citizens.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Big Brother

Extremest SEL's from the ends of the spectrum. Unite to attack the centre.

The enemy these governments fear above averything

Their own people.

1. Ted Treen
      Big Brother

Partly...

What they really fear is their own people becoming aware...

"Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled, they cannot become conscious." - George Orwell, 1984

Our own precious politicos keep the masses happy with 'bread & circuses', lies & innuendo - and guess what! The average citizen is so apathetic politically beyond his own short-term self interest, that this approach has met with success. Obviously, anyone attempting to short-cut the system and inform the populace is a threat which must be eradicated...

7. Don Jefe

Language Please

I know my hopes are probably in vain, but I really, really hope the word 'cyberspace' isn't being used in official conversations. People are going to look back on us and laugh at how we called our network infrastructure cyberspace. I know some super computer illiterates and even they say Internet or web.

- Sir, you stand accused of intercepting our communications in cyberspace.

: I, sir, kindly tell you we have no idea where this cyberspace is, or even what it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: Language Please

The preferred term is "google-nets".

8. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Computer security done government style

Set all the passwords to 'password' and arrest all the hackers who defeat government style authentication.

9. Eduard Coli

More like US

The US seems disinterested in state sponsered piracy from China while anti-piracy efforts from both the FBI and DHS are attempting to thwart "piracy" within the US. Does anyone remember when pundits in US politics and many pro-oligarchy US politicians were trying to sell the big US manufacturing sell-out along the lines on exporting democracy? They said they knew how much damage this was goign to do to the middle class in the US but thin kof the children, all of this trade will make the PRC more like US. Unfortunatly the US is becoming more like the PRC as the wealthy profit off of cheap PRC labor and then use their influence to bribe, nee, contribe to politicans superfunds the US becomes more like the PRC.

10. shawnfromnh

Priorities

I know we've both done espionage but we must put them hackers using P2P programs in the deep dark prison they belong in like little Tyler for instance. I know he's 14 but he's a danger to the world economy.

11. 2cent

Where's the universal truth.

Crush the hackers before they make it obvious what to fix, accidentally stopping government spying.

According to governments "If a ain't broke, don't fix it".

According to citizens "Why don't they fix this thing?".

Open means can't hide.

12. All names Taken
    Happy

If this is true (and I will not be drawn into defining "true") then this is a great day for humanity and the future of the same.

(Or maybe not?)

13. All names Taken
    Alien

Wrong icon

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like