back to article Up yours, Google! Iran to launch OWN state email service

The Iranian government is set to roll out a national email service to all of its citizens in another ominous step towards the dismantling of their online freedoms. There’s not much detail on the new home-grown service, which was apparently reported in local media and on state-run TV, except that it will use the “mail.post.ir …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Big Brother

invisible to PRISM?

'nuf said

2. tonysmith

dismantling of their online freedoms

Moving closer inline with the US then?

3. sabroni Silver badge

Look over there!

We're of course much better off with our internet "freedom". Freedom for the Americans to watch everything we do. And then tell our government, thereby sidestepping any local snooping laws.

But yeah, those fucking Iranians, eh?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Look over there!

Let us not forget the immortal words :

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose".

4. mark 63 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

how handy!

Clearly they're setting up a system where everyone has a voice and they can have a regular referendum on the issue of the week.

Those freedom loving Iranian hippies!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Yeah commenting on this article is a zero sum game, isn't it? Iran's national email system not looking like such a bad idea after PRISM, is it? Or wait, is it? Fuck, I'm confused...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Competition

A Government sets itself up to eavesdrop on the communications of its citizens for self serving purposes.

Question: Is this the American Government or the Iranian government?

Bonus question: How did you tell the difference?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Competition

It's clearly the Iranian government. The American government wants to eavesdrop on EVERYONE, not just it's own citizens....

2. Irony Deficient

Re: A Competition

Answer: Not necessarily.

Bonus answer: If that government’s preparation was both constitutional and lawful, then it was the Iranian government. (See article 25 of the Iranian constitution.)

7. tkioz
    Black Helicopters

I really fail to see the difference between Iran spying it's people's email and the yanks monitoring mine...

1. Bumpy Cat

You're not going to disappear into prison for posting something bad about the state?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry, was that distinguishing America or Iran?

2. WatAWorld

That's right, Iran does not have anything like Guantanamo Bay.

8. Alister

Maybe other countries might want to think about doing this, providing a national email service for their citizens which is not so likely to be snooped by America...

9. WatAWorld

Why should the NSA be the only one with access to Iranian email accounts?

All countries should be setting up their own email services, that way email privacy falls under the jurisdiction of the country the email account holder is in.

I'm in Canada, an ordinary private citizen -- but the USA treats me as if I'm a government official in Russia or China, with no expectation of privacy, no human rights, and no warrant required to look at my message contents and other data.

Americans are supposed to be our brothers, but they treat us like an enemy.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. RonWheeler

Get a sense of proportion you morons

Seriously, the NSA stuff is bad, but even slightly comparing the scale of invasiveness of the Iranian regime with that prevalent in the West? Brains must be getting baked under those tinfoil hats

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like