back to article Windows kernel bug-squish, IE update star in July Patch Tuesday

Microsoft's Patch Tuesday for July landed overnight with a bumper crop of seven bulletins, six of which cover critical flaws that carry remote code execution risks. And the Windows 8 giant today revealed that one of these, CVE-2013-3163, is currently under active attack online. Every supported operating system, every version …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Helpmann??

To summarize....

...the ensuing comments:

MS is EVIL! Windows is vulnerable by design! No it isn't! Yes, it is! Well, OSX/iOS has flaws, too. Yeah, but they don't need an AV product. What? You're deluding yourself. Nah, haven't had a virus I could detect (even without the AV product) since I switched over to the Mac side. Still, Android products are getting hammered. But that's only because of vendors not updating the OS often enough and consumers downloading things that ask for bank account details and passwords and accepting the defaults. And then there's Linux...

Discuss.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To summarize....

re: Discuss.

I really wish people would discuss, and not flame from their relative entrenched positions. Some of what people here think passes for discussion are the lamest argument styles I've ever come across.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

People here have ace discussion styles, you are obviously a windows user. Your OS sucks!!!

1. sabroni Silver badge

Like that, yeah?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you down-played the amount of basic name-calling we usually get, stuff along the lines of

"You know when you switch on an Amiga and it doesn't do anything and there's the image telling you to put the floppy disk in"

"I am acquainted with the product in question"

"That's your O/S that is."

3. 404

Luddite!

That is all...

sent via OS2 Warp..... (lies)

4. Philip Lewis
      Devil

What has Adult Video got to do with all this ?

1. Invidious Aardvark

If you watch Adult Video rather than playing with the real thing you're less likely to get a virus?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Mandatory question

Will they fix the problems in IE9 that cause it to crash on a regular basis? IE10 does not work with some sites so we can't use it (yet)

1. Test Man
      FAIL

Re: Mandatory question

Must be your machine - my two works with IE9 fine with no crashes.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Unhappy

Not my machine. It happens on several systems inc Server 2008 R2.

Generally it happens when IE is open but not doing anything and sometime later (several hours) it gives up the ghost. FireFox and Chrome on the same systems do not show this problem

2. TheVogon
      Mushroom

"Will they fix the problems in IE9 that cause it to crash on a regular basis?"

Zero crashes here. Remove crap like Flash and Java and likely your problems will disappear....

3. vmistery

Hm now should I deploy them whilst I am not on call...

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Coat

That all depends if you are bigger thatn the guy that is on shift. ( And hopefully he doesn't have axe wielding tendencies)

4. JDX Gold badge

Boring without Eadon

I never found out what happened... was there any announcement or did he stop posting suddenly?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Boring without Eadon

He started using IE 9 and cannot post due to its frequent crashes.

1. Mpeler
        Windows

Ahhh, Eadon....as with the other sheep, there'll never be another ewe......

2. Pete Spicer

There was a big rant from Eadon calling Trevor Pott an MS shill (which he most certainly is not) and one of the senior folks banned him. I do miss the occasional entertainment though.

1. Malagabay
        WTF?

I miss the entertainment.

Their best contributor... and for free!!!!

VC have lost the plot.

1. Getriebe

If I have it right, the post that cause the dried reed to fracture the dromedary was libelous and he stupidly backed it up with a reinforcement instead of backing off

Which for me typified him - absolutley no reasonable analysis of the situation and pig headed self regard.

I'm glad he has been fucked off.

3. Arctic fox
      Windows

@JDX Re: Boring without Eadon

He managed to piss off Vulture Central so much that they terminated his arse with extreme prejudice. Icon? Nothing would piss that late and unlamented gentleman off more.

1. kain preacher

Re: @JDX Boring without Eadon

Eadon has been at it so long I did not think you could piss some off at El Reg the way he did. Nuked every post he made. And it was not Trevor that did it.

1. Arctic fox
          Headmaster

@kain preacher. Re: "..........I did not think that you could piss off.............."

Neither did I. However, he certainly managed it! I have to say that in the four years or so that I have posted here I cannot recall seeing such an example of "summary justice" before - just goes to show.

5. Kanhef

180 days to fix security flaws?

Disappointing; I'd rather see apps removed after 30 days – or less, depending on how severe or actively exploited the vulnerability is.

Of course, then people would expect Microsoft to follow their own standard...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

TrueType Font vulnerability ..

`CVE-2013-3129 .. allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted TrueType Font (TTF) file, aka "TrueType Font Parsing Vulnerability".'

With all this 'integrated innovation' going on, how did we get to the stage where a TEXT FONT can expose a computer to getting hacked?

1. Mpeler
      Coat

Re: TrueType Font vulnerability ..

With Fonts like those, who needs enemies?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TrueType Font vulnerability ..

The issue was not with the fonts (which are GUI fonts), but with the code that parsed the font files. The Linux kernel is a good example of many such bugs - over 950 vulnerabilities now...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like