back to article Anti-PRISM Trojan explodes over Jay-Z fans

Fans of rapper Jay-Z who thought they'd grabbed hold of an app granting them access to an early release of his new album Magna Carta Holy Grail have found themselves on the receiving end of an anti-PRISM Android Trojan designed to slurp all their data, according to security researchers. It is not yet clear if the data-stealing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. g e
    Pint

Fabulous

Protest about data stealing by data stealing

Cocks.

Who the fuck is Jay Z anyway?

Friday, so pint for all, even Appleists (as it's free)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fabulous

All I know is they're an idiot. It's Jay Zed, not Jay Zee.

1. Euripides Pants

Re: Jay Zed

Zed's dead, baby...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Yp2L6c2KM

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Who the fuck is Jay Z anyway?

M'lud, I believe that Jay-Z is a popular beat combo. In the style of, what I believe is called, crap music.

We really need a lawyer icon, what with all the patent trolling, and SCO coming back from the dead. Again.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Meh.

If I could be bothered to create such an annoyance as a political stunt, I'd probably temporarily store the data on a compromised third party server, then dump it all to Wikileaks and claim it was pilfered NSA data.

2. tomban
    Megaphone

The first rule of Android club is...

How many times, people, really!

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Don't sideload apps from dodgy sources (which requires disabling security settings).

Check the permissions the app is requesting.

If you're too dumb to follow these simple rules, don't own a 'smart' phone, or a computer, or drive for that matter.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Re: The first rule of Android club is...

If you're too dumb to follow these simple rules, don't own a 'smart' phone, or a computer, or drive for that matter.

And please don't reproduce :)

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Stop

Re: AndrueC Re: The first rule of Android club is...

"And please don't reproduce :)" Hey, don't be silly! I know the iFans mean we're going to be fine for "underachievers" to work as barristas, but we need those other lusers for work asking "Would you like fries with that?" I really don't won't to have to go out and make my own burgers.

2. Jason Togneri
      Holmes

Re: The first rule of Android club is...

"If you're too dumb to follow these simple rules, don't own a 'smart' phone, or a computer, or drive for that matter."

And for those of you who claim to be sysadmins or power users, please don't tell me you aren't using something like Droidwall on your Android device. Blacklist all by default, and then just allow communication from those apps you're absolutely sure of, and to hell with whatever permissions they're asking for!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise!

Why is it that when we see the word "exploit" or the phrase "security problems/issues", the article is always about Microsoft.

People need to give themselves a shake and stop using MS products!

Yeah, ok, even I'm getting bored of my hilarious repartee now....

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      FAIL

Eadon, would you mind pointing out exactly which line even mentions Microsoft in this article ?

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Pascal, I think that was the ironic point of anons post...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
          Happy

Sorry, it must be PTSD.

4. deadmonkey

Oh, I hadn't even noticed that your anti virus expert had become independent now.

I wonder if that's a reflection of his ambition or that of Sophos?

5. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

I don't give a toss who you are, what your agenda is, what message you're trying to send or which political ass you happen to kiss.

Get the fuck off my device.

1. WatAWorld
      Big Brother

If you don't want unauthorized software on your phone you're a traitor

Isn't that how it is now?

Your device is the government's device, because they own you.

You're being disloyal to your owner not wanting their stuff with their backdoors on your phone.

6. RaidOne

Can someone please explain the link between Magna Carta and Jay-Z?

What's next, are they going to rap about Domesday Book?

7. Zack Mollusc

Pffft!!

Big freaking deal. I once downloaded an app called 'Swedish Lesbians In Blackcurant Jam - Totally Not Malware Edition' and some sicko had replaced the code with a Jay Z album!

8. Lamont Cranston
    Big Brother

Do Google still have the ability to remotely wipe apps from users' phones?

If it's in the Play Store, and it's malware, surely the responsible thing to do would be to 1) remove it from the store, 2) remove it from wherever it's been installed?

A bit Big Brother-ish, but probably to the greater good.

1. Shrimpling
      Boffin

Re: Do Google still have the ability to remotely wipe apps from users' phones?

The dodgy version isn't from the Play Store so it wouldn't help in this case.

But in answer to your question yes Google can remove an app from your phone if they decide it should be removed due to it containing a trojan or similar.. The same is true for Apple and iPhones.

1. Lamont Cranston

^ Thanks

This still took me by surprise, though: "The malicious code poses as a real app released through the official Google Play store ". Having checked the Play strore on my phone, it looks like the app has been pulled (couple of obvious fakes still there, though), so maybe the almighty hand of G is already at work?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want to see Explode, forget Snowden, or this virus.

The religion of peace are doing a Ramadan Bombathon scorecard again this year.

http://thereligionofpeace.com/

The details of the contributors to the stats are at the bottom of the page, I think they're not keeping the website up to date, because I heard there was a spectacular involving a hairdresser being beheaded for accidentally shaving a beard.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Go

Re: AC Re: If you want to see Explode, forget Snowden, or this virus.

"The religion of peace are doing a Ramadan Bombathon scorecard again this year......" I can hear the sheeple flocking together to downvote you and call you "a racist" right now (even though Islam is a religion, not a race).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like