back to article Dotcom, NZ PM clash over spy laws

New Zealand's proposed revisions to the laws that govern its Government Communications Security Bureau have provided a venue for political theatre by Kim Dotcom, who choppered into Wellington to speak against the bill. With only 15 minutes to speak to a parliamentary hearing into proposed spy laws in New Zealand, Kim Dotcom …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe

Defense

I wonder how long before 4chan makes an "I'm wearing a scarf" meme.

1. Adam 1

Re: Defense

I have binders full of scarves.

2. Charles Manning

Poor ego-freak

With Assange being quite quiet, KDC was getting his ego rubbed nicely.

Now that jumped up Snowden bugger is grabbing the limelight and KDC needs to up his game to get his mug in the media again.

3. OzBob

Is KDC a genuine innovator or a smoke-and-mirrors PR hound? My money is on the latter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only criminals have privacy

In the same way that only criminals have guns in defenseless populations, only criminals have privacy in shepherded populations. It takes just a few minutes for criminals to setup encryption and/or a Virtual Private Network, minutes that the average citizen cannot be bothered to spend.

Clearly, the purpose of all this shepherding of the sheep is not to police criminals.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: defenseless populations

because the only way you can EVER defend yourself is with a firearm.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In the same way that only criminals have guns in defenseless populations, ...

you know, I really thought that you were going to finish: ... in NZ you only need a scarf.

3. Yes Me Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Only criminals have privacy

"It takes just a few minutes for criminals to setup encryption..."

I think you mean serious and organised groups. Amateur-hour crims and terrorists don't know or don't bother, so tend to get caught by surveillance states. The real concern has always been that the really dangerous ones will have unbreakable crypto, whatever the law says and whatever the sigint people do.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Only criminals have privacy

It really only requires a Google search, an a few minutes to install a package. So really only, the truly dumb not particularly threatening criminal is countered by mass surveillance, whilst the rest of the world loses all privacy. In addition, millions of bureacrats are employed to sift through the masses of data. A truly spectacular lie and stupendous waste of money is behind this scam.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Granted the man is an arse, but you can understand his ire, governments completely going against all their own rules in some kind of unilateral clusterfuck.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

i know what you mean, but....

how do they expect to get away with it next time if they don't change the rules now?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least in NZ there's some debate

this Guardian story about UKUSA 5 eyes collaborating with all EU nations in data retention and surveillance was actually pulled from their website. (a comment link & related article here http://www.examiner.com/article/nsa-story-spiked-journalist-and-former-govt-employee-censored )

Sounds like the late 1990's STC/ILETS and EU nations memorandums of understanding with the FBI/NSA are still relevant & sensitive documents.

I don't know where the UK Guardian 'disappeared' article currently is and/or whether its true that another DA-notice was used to make it go... i only know what I'm allowed to read in the press.. even transitorily..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like