back to article Apple TV 'close' to deal with Time Warner - report

Cupertino is close to closing a deal with Time Warner that will allow fanbois to watch proper grown-up telly - and Disney films - through their Apple TV boxes. Bloomberg says that insiders "with knowledge of the negotiations" spilled the beans. When the agreement is officially inked, it will mean that Time Warner Cable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NightFox

Is this the same deal that MS signed with Time Warner for Xbox last week? I wonder what's different about the Apple agreement that's taking so much longer.

1. Keith 72
      Thumb Down

And are these deals the reason that BT Vision and Talk Talk TV customers no longer get Warner TV?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes its same deal

But they are stuck on Apple's demand of 30% cut from paid viewers (of which there will ba many Fanbois around).

1. VinceH

Re: Yes its same deal

Not to mention their Most Favoured Nation clause that'll prevent MS getting content cheaper than they do.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

...it’s not an experience that I think very many people love...

Well, take the adverts out and you're golden.

I suspect the majority of viewers are precisely that: watchers of a continuous stream in real time, selecting from a small group of channels for something that pleases them and is on now. I'd love to see some numbers on that, mind: I may be biased by my own viewing habits.

3. jai

Apple's little white box?

Last I checked, the AppleTV was black? Have Bloomberg's sources let slip a detail of a new AppleTV release??

1. Eddy Ito
      Coat

Re: Apple's little white box?

iWatch for AppleTV perhaps?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Apple's little white box?

Agreed. But people will still be starting rumours of: a) an Apple watch; b) a large-screen Apple TV set; and c) an Apple-branded saddle for flying unicorns

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The cable giant offers access to 200 different channels"

So, that's about 1 decent programme per year per channel, then. If you're lucky.

5. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    WTF?

Umm... you can already watch Disney movies on the Apple TV.

It's called Netflix.

6. Jonathan 29

Cracked It

The more time that passes the more I feel that Steve Jobs' remark that he had "cracked" the concept for an easy-to-use Apple television set was just a throwaway joke. It is the same as Fermat's claim in the margin of his notebook that he had a proof for the theorem, but the space was just too small. I am ever hopeful though that we will one day see a device and company that can provide me with a product that properly integrates TV,Web and film content in a usable fashion.

1. Redsyrup

Re: Cracked It

It already exists. It's called an HDMI cable from your PC to TV. Anyone expecting another Siri/Kinect Mind Reading iDevice is sadly mistaken.

7. Spoonsinger

Re: Apple TV 'close' to deal with Time Warner

Yeh! that went well for AOL. Oh?!, maybe not, (or did it?). It's all so confusing, probably need a lie down or something to get into the mood so that I give a damn.

8. RTNavy

Microsoft and Apple TV?

Didn't X-Box One just sign up for all of Time Warner's stuff to stream as well?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatives

Whats wrong with streaming from a £30 Android usb/hdmi device and you can plug in your smart TV & get all your Youtubes/netflix et al from there?

Just wondering, what will be different.

Too much is made out of movies and Music streaming these days. Its just not worth it anymore, considering thte alternatives.

10. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

If the Apple can do to tv and movies what it did to music and downloads then buying shares in Apple now would be a good idea?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If the Apple can do to tv and movies what it did to music and downloads then buying shares in Apple now would be a good idea?"

Do you live in a cave? WTF? There are a myriad of services out there.

No one wants a shitty iTunes for tv content!

11. Captain Queeg

I wonder

if Sky News appearing on the Apple TV is a pre-cursor to Sky punting their on demand and over the top services on ATV in the UK?

The current offering for non subscribers is PC/MAC only - ATV would seem like an ideal vehicle to get PAYG customers on board, even at 30% it's another channel that Virgin don't have and once you've had easy big screen access (as opposed to HDMI from a noisy bulky PC) it's hard to go back.

Seems logical that Sky would explore the platform by offering Sky news before a bigger launch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder

"once you've had easy big screen access (as opposed to HDMI from a noisy bulky PC) it's hard to go back."

Sounds like you need a tech refesh!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Streaming sucks

when your internet connection is as slow as mine. At least Google lets you download a full movie from the PlayStore and watch it later.

13. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Better get their Finger out...

Samsung has bought Boxee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23170757

Samsung are getting a bit too powerful methinks.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"He said: “When you look at the TV experience, it’s not an experience that I think very many people love. It’s not one that has been brought up to date for this decade. It’s still an experience much like 10 years ago or 20 years ago"

Sky is great! Sorry Timmy, once again you have no fking clue about what you are talking about.

We don't want Apple doing to the TV market what they did with eBooks!

Apple can not be trusted.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like