back to article Motorola teases with Moto X 'design your own' phone

The launch of Motorola's much-ballyhooed Moto X smartphone is starting to kick off, with the Google-owned firm taking out its first teaser adverts for the forthcoming handset. Motoroloa's Moto X teaser advert USA, USA, USA There's no sign of the actual phone itself, but Motorola is striking a patriotic tone, which is handy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Thumb Up

...the United States takes Thursday off for its annual "Huzzah, we kicked out the British and will now spell color anyway we like," Independence Day celebrations.

Best. Quote. Ever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Still sour grapes after 237 years?

1. Not That Andrew
        Joke

Nah, we sacked Washington and burned the White House in 1812, so were evens now.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
        Devil

Nah!

Its just an excuse to have a lot of beer and watch fireworks go boom.

If we had any sour grapes, it would have been because of the Sacking of Washington and burning up the White House. Oh wait. that was a different war which we have seemed to totally forgotten about.

Next you'll be blaming us because of the cronut!

3. dogged
        Meh

The thing about a civil war is, whoever wins it's the same side.

So the British won (and lost) the American War of Independence because they were fighting on both sides. They also won the war of 1812 but that was because the Americans lost.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Blain Hamon
    Alert

Oooh, goody! Can I design mine to be able to have the latest OS?

Motorola's promising, then reneging of upgrades has meant in the past, and now, that whatever phone I get, be it Android, iOS, or Windows Phone, it's not MOTO hardware. HTC may have taken a year to upgrade the Amaze to 4.0, but to their credit, upgrade it they did.

1. Arthur 1

Re: Oooh, goody! Can I design mine to be able to have the latest OS?

+1 for sure.

I bought a Motorola phone using a one version out of date Android on the promise the upgrade was in the pipeline when Android 2.2 was the new hotness. I haven't checked in a while, but I'm pretty sure that model is still stuck on 2.1 Motorola's UI and other bits were horrible, battery nuking, performance killing pains in the rear, and the phone went out of support months after its launch.

Everything I've heard from Moto owners, regardless of model, is pretty much the same experience. No support, no follow through, unremovable garbage bloatware and apparently third party builds of Android don't always support the weird hardware choices Moto makes. Unless Google proves that they've totally overhauled the culture of Motorola, avoid this phone like the plague.

Shame, because they're the only one who tend to make decent keyboard phones that run Android. Oh well.

2. Chris J

Re: Oooh, goody! Can I design mine to be able to have the latest OS?

Amen.

Although Google must surely recognise how badly dented Moto goodwill has been by their erstwhile hokey-cokey approach to upgrades. After all, Google understand the value of long term support, right? I wonder if the phone integrates with Google Reader....

...wait a minute...

3. uhuznaa

USA, USA, USA...

Bad timing, I'd say.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Re: USA, USA, USA...

Indeed, it's more like NSA, NSA, NSA !

4. Cameron Colley

Well, I know which manufacturer not to buy form then.

Since I decided a while ago to boycott US products until they improve their dire human rights record.

1. SkippyBing

Re: Well, I know which manufacturer not to buy form then.

So where do you get your ethically pure phone from?

1. Johan Bastiaansen
        Angel

"So where do you get your ethically pure phone from?"

Fairphone

2. Cameron Colley

"So where do you get your ethically pure phone from?". Good question, but it certainly isn't the land of the hypocrite.

1. thomanski

"So where do you get your ethically pure phone from?"

Korea

(South)

2. h3

Motorola are American through and through. (To the point of taking the we only care about America attitude probably about as far as any phone manufacturer).

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Holmes

Sounds good

Can I ask for AOSP or Cyanogen?

6. h3

Wonder if you can get one with Snowden's picture next to an American flag on it.

They should offer something with a Haswell chip inside it maybe tweaked a bit big battery. (Phone Manufactures don't like spending more than $20 on the SoC though even on a $600 phone). Be a good thing for Intel to do to show it can.

7. An(other) Droid
    Meh

> selection of colorful covers to express one's individuality

So we can express our individuality as long as the said individuality matches one of the colors that the manufacturer decides to offer us?

What a load of...

8. Mikel

They should offer covers in prints

Flowers, tanks, Angry Birds, Disney characters. If you're personalizing why stop at color, desktop background and engraving? Get some style designers and license some images and iconic brands. Heck, let people upload a photo for the cover.

It seems they may be offering other customizations as well - storage size, RAM, display resolution among other things. That would be really interesting.

1. Simon Rockman

Re: They should offer covers in prints

Sendo did this with the D800 more than a decade ago

9. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

No mention of the Motorola data slurp?

Design my own Motorola phone?

Is there a tick box for 'Slurp all my private data into your marketing server farm'.

10. Martin Maloney
    Coat

Under your spell

...the United States takes Thursday off for its annual "Huzzah, we kicked out the British and will now spell color anyway we like," Independence Day celebrations.

Your Yank bashing is tyresome.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Under your spell

Glad I wasn't the only one that rolled my eyes a bit.

Of course I have the objectivity of being neither Brit nor Yank, so that might help.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Under your spell

Maybe it is TIREsome, but until the NSA/USA starts acting differently towards the rest of humanity then the well deserved yank bashing will continue.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Wahoo.....

...finally a phone that will fall to pieces BEFORE the warranty runs out.

12. tomban
    Go

My 'phone' will have dual 24 inch touchscreen 4k monitors, 16 gigs of RAM, 4tb storage, physical keyboard, mouse, 35x optical zoom camera, really big speakers and a week-long battery.

It shall be called the 'tomban'

13. Chris G

We let them win!

Off topic a little but I find Motorola boring.

In 2000 I lived in N Cal up in the Sierras, I was invited by a friend to drive the local radio station's old Pilot V8 van in the Independence day parade so I happily accepted, I was then asked by one of my American friends ' Don't you mind driving in the parade? After all we did kick you out!'

My reply was that I didn't because we actually let the yanks win, so I had to explain;

Running a colony 3000 miles away is expensive, enforcing tax collections from a bunch of recalcitrant pioneers is also expensive and cost nearly as much as the revenue gained.

So when the revolution began, the plan was made to allow them after some resistance, to win; the logic being that if they thought they owned the place they would look after it better and even after the War of Independence Brits still owned most of the lucrative bits of America, the new American Government footed the bill for protecting all that stuff we owned so it was a win win situation.

Strangely the pub went silent for a bit after that!

1. Hud Dunlap
      Joke

Re: We let them win!

But what about Canada? You could have let them "join" the United States.

See War Plan Red

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2070/did-the-u-s-plan-an-invasion-of-canada-in-the-1920s

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like