back to article Cloud computers are like bananas, says Deutsche Börse

You can agree on the price of bananas even if they don't all look the same, so why not cloud computing services? That's an argument put by the newly-launched Deutsche Börse Cloud Exchange – a trading platform for cycles and storage. Due to launch in 2014, the exchange promises “neutral, secure and transparent trading venue for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neoc

Comparing Bananas and Oranges

"It is possible to agree on a price, without all the bananas looking the same"

True. But we don't expect to pay the same per-banana between Plantains and Cavendish. Or even per-Kilo. So be careful about your analogies - they may sound good on the surface but make sure it covers all of your points.

1. MacroRodent

Re: Comparing Bananas and Oranges

Commodity exchanges specify some standards for the items being traded. They would not be haggling the price for "bananas", but for "Cavendish bananas" of some specified quality.

2. jake Silver badge

Yup. Just like bananas.

Eat it immediately, or it'll rot. No shelf-life. At all. And hard to ship, to boot.

Bring me something that works like plantains, and maybe we'll talk.

But I doubt it. Computing & storage is easier to roll out internally ... at least if you actually hire folks who understand how computers & storage really work, that is ...

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Yup. Just like bananas.

Bananas don't roll very well because they are bent and faceted. Clouds are bumpy and nebulous so they probably don't roll too well either.

You may well have a good point there!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"You can agree on the price of bananas even if they don't all look the same"

Most of the banana's I see in the store are usually green. Which basically means they're not really ripe yet (one of the reasons I hardly buy bananas).

So does this mean we can also sell unfinished cloud solutions ("just pay up and we'll finish it later..")?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "just pay up and we'll finish it later.."

Not like it hasn't been done before. Just look at the games industry - they've been doing that for years.

Even managed to do it on consoles (after a few versions).

4. tojb

Looking forward to massive speculation-driven overproduction of cloud computing followed by a crash (the financial kind) that leaves us all communicating with cups and string.

Way to go Deutsche-Borse!

(Rushes off to stake €1,000 confident that he alone can time the bubble)

5. BanjoCat

I like to think of the Cloud as a 2 week old banana. It certainly looks enticing; it’s nicely packaged, cheap, easy to get into and handy if you’re not really that hungry. It’s only when you peel back the skin that you realise the innards are not what you expected and you would have been better off just sitting down for a proper meal. It’s not even as cheap as it looks; you had to buy a bunch and the rest of the bananas are just going to waste on a shelf in the kitchen. Even if you do hold your nose and eat it, only time will tell what the real damage could be!

This topic is closed for new posts.