back to article South African kids win global cluster glory at HPC fest

Our last day's talk with Team South Africa did nothing to tip us off that they were going to be the eventual winner of the entire ISC’13 Student Cluster Challenge. But I wasn’t the only one in the dark – I don’t think they had any idea they had a chance to win it all. Team South Africa displayed their normal good-spirited, fun …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Background or explanation

It would be handy if the story had more of a background story or explanation. I don't want to go off and research what this event is, what the point is behind it etc etc. So basically a big waste of time reading this story.

1. I Am Spartacus
      FAIL

Troll needs spoon feeding

So, here we have a story that you don't know about. It has a link to the website that is the origin, but you don't want to look at this (because it needs and click and clicks mean time).

You want the story author to explain what is on the web site because you're to lazy to read it yourself.

You, sir, get the award for Troll fail of the day.

(PS: The loss is yours, its a good story with some good messages)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Troll needs spoon feeding

TO be fair it's filed under 'HPC Blog', so one might assume that anyone reading it already knows what the HPC competition was.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Background or explanation

It'd be nice if the above AC had bothered to do a little background reading, perhaps bothered to click on the link and read the information himself. I'm actually wondering why they bothered to post what the point is behind it etc etc. So basically a big waste of time reading this comment..

1. Steven Raith
        Go

If I recall, Dan did a deeper dive on the hardware last time around? There was mineral oil cooled competitor in there.

Perhaps we'll get a more in-depth round-up later in the week?

Steven R

1. danolds
          Thumb Up

Hey Steve....I did write an article about the configurations, you can find it here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/24/isc_13_cluster_comp_configurations/

We didn't see any exotic cooling this year, although at least one team had signaled they might try for a liquid cooled box.

I'm going to do little deeper dive into the hardware, looking at node count, core counts, memory to core ratios, and whatever else looks interesting. Look for that soon.

1. Steven Raith
            Thumb Up

Cheers Dan - I missed that.

Look forward to hearing more on these little HOC setups, always interesting to see who can get how much out of what, as it were.

3. danolds
      Alert

Here's the problem: there are now three major international student cluster competitions, each with 8+ teams, 5 or more apps, and three or more winners. I probably end up writing somewhere around 20-30 articles for each competition. I can't face a life where each and every one of these stories has to contain verbiage summarizing the entire competition. It would be way tedious to read and more tedious to write.

The solution? I wrote up a comprehensive guide to Student Cluster Competitions earlier this year. That article (here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/14/guide_to_student_cluster_compos/) explains pretty much everything you need to know about these events.

While that article isn't linked in each and every story, the stories that I have linked to do have a link to that original document. (Now that's a great sentence, very clear.) . So, like the other posters have said, if you're interested, check out the links - they have the details.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Congrats to the amaKlevaKleva on their win!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like