back to article Snowden speaks from Moscow: 'Obama lies'

Fugitive NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has released a statement, published by WikiLeaks, that excoriates President Obama, essentially calls him a liar, and says that the administration is not afraid of leakers like him, but of us. "On Thursday," Snowden writes, "President Obama declared before the world that he would not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cyberdemon Silver badge
    Devil

So basically..

If you want to be a human rights activist, then get out of Russia. Those kind of people are not welcome here!

(plus since you told us everything you know - we made sure of that - you are of no further use to us)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: So basically..

Yes if you are going to be a Human rights activist you might be better off in one of the more democratic countries .... say the USA?

2. Herby

Justice??

American style, or Russian style! You might only get once choice Mr Snowden.

Choose wisely!

1. Steven Raith
      Joke

Re: Justice??

What about Gangnam Style?

Sorry, sorry....

Steven R

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Rol

I am hoping beyond hope that the person sat in Russia is a suitably disguised Wikileaks sourced double and that Snowden is reading all this from the comfort of the bolt hole he headed to after HK.

Snowden's plight will ultimately be the test of Wikileaks abilities and the yard stick all other potential good guys and girls will measure their chances against.

So, please, let's have a happy ending.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Happy ending

Yes. Snowden incarcerated for 20 years breaking rocks?

5. tempemeaty

Rock and a hard place

With the US Gov shenanigans and it's President's lies, it's left Putin on higher ground. Now I imagine Putin has been positioning himself to use that position to give the US Gov an ultimatum, perhaps about the US presence in the middle east. Now Snowden's presence there has a potential of compromising that position if Russia take him in. Therefore Putin needs him gone. I think Putin should have bribed another smaller nation into taking Snowden.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rock and a hard place

Iran should take him in. They could use the leaked information to their advantage and they could careless what the US wants.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Rock and a hard place

tempemeaty,

I think you've been reading too much spy fiction. Plus, what "President's lies"? He's not been made stateless, he's a US citizen, but has had his right to travel taken away. He can go home to the US any time he likes. Or he can find somewhere else that wants to take him.

'It has been reported that the US VP put pressure on countries' is not evidence of Obama lying. Or in fact evidence of anything. It's just rumour. Even if true, saying please extradite to us our criminal is not diplomatic wheeler-dealering.

Whatever is, or isn't, true in the Snowden case, he's not important enough to change Middle East policy for. Neither the US or Russians are even remotely likely to think so. Even if he was, the story has already been leaked, so there's nothing left to bargain for.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

> Obama a liar

Pope catholic, bears shit in woods etc.

Really, does anyone except blue-state fascists still have any confidence in Hopey Changey?

Closed Guantanamo, most transparent administration evar, saved the economy, left Iraq as promised, does not do surveillance, not into exporting duhmocracy by force of arms into foreign lands and other utter bullshit for years and years and years.

Did I mention not gonna kill women and children every Wednesday and won't intervene in Syria? Ok, he didn't say that but he does have a "Nobel Peace Prize", like Kissinger.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly...

You might be surprised how many people are in deep denial about Obama.

His job approval ratings have been between 48 to 51% since February. With so many right-wing freaks in office, Obama gets a pass for seeming relatively sane. That doesn't mean he's not a liar and a fraud.

Snowden says that US.gov is not afraid of him, but of "an informed, angry public". Sadly, that is a long way off, especially the "informed" part.

2. Killraven

Yeah, there are a huge number of very disappointed liberals that aren't very happy that the guy they elected is constantly behaving as if he's batting for the other team.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Disappointed, yes, and yet they still look for reasons to excuse him.

Even in this case, for example, Obama vows 'no wheeling and dealing' For Snowden, but then US.gov threatens Ecuador with trade sanctions if they accept Snowden for asylum.

So, what was that 'no wheeling and dealing' statement, then, if not a lie? Snowden is right to call out Obama for deception.

People will down vote, naturally. Sometimes the truth hurts.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You expected a pol from Chicago to behave in any other way? :-)

2. Killraven

Yeah, well sometimes the truth isn't what you want to hear.

June 27, 2013 - Sen. Robert Menendez (D-New Jersey) independently threatens Equador with trade sancions.

June 28, 2013 - President Obama states "no wheeling and dealing"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't worry. By the time 2016 rolls around, doubtless we'll have another Democrat whom all the great and good will declare to be utterly fantastic...with a remarkably poor track record, which will be studiously ignored and excused in extremis. Obama got away with refusing to release his university grades, got tenure as a law professor despite having never written a peer reviewed paper, hung out with the likes of Bill Ayers and Jeremiah Wright, and had the most partisan voting record in the Senate...and was still apparently a genius who believed in reconciliation and bi partisanship.

Meanwhile, the Republican will be a "dumb", "tool of the upper class who doesn't pay their taxes"...kind of like Obama's Treasury Secretary :-)

You're only dumb if you go along with it :-)

7. Don Jefe

Trades

My money is on Snowden settling down in Russia for a while then being traded for Viktor Bout after the U.S. and Russia get all the details worked out. Russia doesn't extradite to the U.S. but prisoner trades are fairly common.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Trades

I guess one 'good' thing about the Cold War, was that there was always a spy handy to trade for anyone you wanted to get back from Russia.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be anyone we can trade for Andrey Lugovoy. Although I guess they wouldn't have swapped him anyway.

8. Martin Huizing
    Big Brother

Wow, nobody talks about the elephant in the room?

America spies on everyone. EVERYONE. They say some countries are excluded, but those countries rely on monitored countries' network infrastructure. Who is to say communique through those countries isn't also intercepted. Another thing is; strangers like Mr. Snowden can rummage through our stuff without constraint; ie every one of them is a potential blackmailer. Luckily for us Ms. Snowden was of sound mind not to use gathered knowledge against individuals but to expose a huge security issue that affects us all.

Germany is only the beginning, mark my words!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Wow, nobody talks about the elephant in the room?

Martin Huizing,

Everyone spies on everyone. That's what spies and diplomats do.

1. kyza

Re: Wow, nobody talks about the elephant in the room?

Why is it people need to be constantly reminded of this fact?

I'm waiting for the US to get truly pissed with the EU hissy-fitting about being spied on and release information about EU member-state spying operations in the US, or remind everyone about the honeytrap they used to embarrass the French a few years ago.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snowden is in for a real surprise if he stays in Russia. He can spout off all that he wants just like A$$ange but in the end they will be held accountable for their crimes and I hope the punishment is very painful and long.

1. hplasm
      Big Brother

"...but in the end they will be held accountable for their crimes..."

Who? The US Govt? Fat Chance.

10. darkpill

Just imagine your future dependent on Vladimir Putin. Wow.

11. tkioz
    Facepalm

Liar?

Of course Obama is a liar, he's a politician, the ability to obfuscate the truth is a job requirement.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Liar?

I think that is a bit harsh. I did think he said they wouldn't be scrambling jets. Putting diplomatic pressure on other countries to return a fugitive from justice seems fair enough.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I agree, the real issue is the spying

Forget the players for a moment, think about the surveillance angle for a while.

Extradition talk is just a smoke screen to take the focus off the activities of the NSA, etc.

1. shaolin cookie
      Unhappy

Re: I agree, the real issue is the spying

Partly that, but it also serves as a detriment for anyone else who might decide to tell the public what's happening. A show of force by the US government, no nation dares to anger them, so whistle-blowers have no future. Sad.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This case, and the previous one (Manning) might put off potential whistle-blowers, yes. On the other hand, some people now might say: I don't give a flying monkey what happens to me, I've had enough, or - "I KNOW what will happen to me, but here's the pen drive with 16GB data anyway". It's just a matter of reaching a certain... boiling point, when what they preach, and what they do are so wide apart, that you finally can't take it any longer.

And yes, there will be vetting, and there will be activity and patterns monitoring to weed out the "lunatics", "leftists", "traitors" and "hackers"... but it's never going to be 100% accurate. And generally, oppression stimulates resentment and resistance. Some people will riot, and will get caught before they do any damage to the system, others will outsmart it and leak the info out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And just how would extradition, followed by a trial, and if found guilty imprisonment, take the focus away from the NSA?

13. Allan George Dyer

He's not coming back to Hong Kong

On 27 June, the HK gov announced he would be refused entry because the US had finally told them his passport had been revoked.

14. graeme leggett Silver badge

Obvious

Politicians lie, misdirect, obfuscate, cut deals and so forth

Nations conduct diplomacy, conduct propaganda, negoiate and so forth

it's just a question of scale.

15. Eugene Crosser

Double speak alert

Putin said "He must stop his work aimed at harming our American partners" ("Он должен прекратить свою работу, направленную на то, чтобы наносить ущерб нашим американским партнерам"). He did not say about it being "harmful to the US" as the author of this piece interpreted it. Putin't "American partners" are not necessary the "US, the Country".

Putin probably still feels that he belongs to the "intelligence community", and perceives the US secret service establishment as his partners, so it makes sense.

16. TheBoyBailey

They All Lie

My default position is that all politicians lie, all of the time.

From that position the only way is up ...

17. kyza

Ordered?

"Yet now it is being reported," he says, "that after promising not to do so, the President ordered his Vice President to pressure the leaders of nations from which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions.

I'm fairly certain and old hack like Joe Biden wouldn't need to be ordered to do something like that.

Putin's big reaction to all this would probably have been one of wincing laughter as if he were watching The Office or similar comedy - and probably thinking 'Well, I'm glad we don't use private contractors in the FSB and that everyone who does work there knows they'd be dead before Grenwald had a chance to write an op-ed piece about them.'

18. Joe User
    Holmes

Not a surprise

Snowden doesn't specifically use the "L" word, but he makes it clear that he believes Obama is not a man of his word.

Obama is a politician. And in other news, the sun rises in the east, and water is wet....

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A little island ...

Has he applied for asylum to St Helena? Both Snowden and Assange would love it there. They could rant at each other all day over the island's internet (2 starbucks cups and 100m of string), claim to have more followers (seagulls) than the other and occasionally visit Bonaparte's grave to remind themselves of the enormous impact they are making on history.

In the meantime the rest of us could forget these sad individuals and get on with our lives.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like