back to article Apple threatens ANOTHER Samsung patent lawsuit

After a US judge refused Apple's request to add the Galaxy S 4 to the list of products for which Cupertino accuses Samsung of infringing upon its patents, Cook's crew is threatening to fire up yet another lawsuit against the Korean smartphone and tablet rival. US Magistrate Judge Paul Grewal turned down Apple's petition to add …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ChrisM

Another one?

Damned things are like the Hydra... Chop one off and two appear in its place...

1. MrXavia

Re: Another one?

I have a question, this lawsuit, are these the same patents that a UK court found were invalid?

1. ChrisM

Possibly... Different jurisdictions though.....

There are so many suits going on between every different party that its impossivpble to keep up... Winners and losers? No.. Only losers and its us the consumer doing the losing...

1. Stacy
          Happy

Hey, that's not fair!

The lawyers are winning hands down!

1. g e
            Coat

Not quite.

A proficient lawyer NEVER shows you what his hands are doing.

2. GeirOElnir

A UK court found some some design/trade-dress similarities between iPad and Galaxy Tab not close enough to merit an injunction.

So no.

These are the same patents that a California jury already found infringed in the S3 and other Samsung phones.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"are these the same patents that a UK court found were invalid?" but of course the 'mericans don't and will try to flog to death hoping that their chose of ifolly does not embarrass them anymore.

2. bonkers
      Thumb Up

"legal beagles" - what a fantastic strapline.

For those that don't have a tradition of fox hunting - the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable according to Oscar Wilde, beagles are the repulsive pack dogs that live in compounds eating the discarded carcasses of stillborn farm animals.

Once in a while, when their masters decide, they get to tear a real live functioning animal to shreds.

Not much like patent lawyers then...

2. JarekG
    FAIL

The whole Apple vs. Samsung is not funny anymore.

When will they realize that people just don't care about this crap..

Let us buy what we want.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When will they realize that people just don't care about this crap..

Well, I do care, in so much that although I like their products, this crap in court is annoying me to the point where I'm reconsidering any further purchase. What Apple doesn't seem to realise is that this gambling in the court creates a business risk for its users - you cannot plan an IT strategy on *either* company involved in this rubbish and as far as I can see, it's Apple who keeps adding fuel to the fire every time they're near a court.

Message to Tim Cook: innovate, don't litigate. Or lose the business you managed to establish.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

"Or lose the business you managed to establish."

Errm, try: "Or lose the business Jobs managed to establish."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and re-establish

once he got rid of that assclown Gil Amelio

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Message to Tim Cook: innovate, don't litigate. Or lose the business you managed to establish."

Looking at the latest figures I'd say that it's too late.

3. GeirOElnir

What's the point in innovating when anybody can just copy your stuff?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"What's the point in innovating when anybody can just copy your stuff?"

When is rounded corners innovating?

2. ItsNotMe

Re: What's the point in innovating when anybody can just copy your stuff?

@GeirOElnir...you mean like Boy Wonder did?

http://www.edibleapple.com/2010/03/03/steve-jobs-referenced-good-artists-copy-great-artists-steal/

4. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

Risk/Reward

An, but who is more at risk in the all important US market for smart phones? Apple does have home court advantage in the US legal system; far less likely to be on the receiving end of an US trade injunction let alone actually paying Samsung damages. Take another look at their legal teams. One of them is a well known gambler when it comes to the courtroom.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unless it were your product you felt someone else was infringing I bet...?

3. We're all in it together

It's getting really boring now

Only one story on Apple suing in the last month? Are they slipping? Perhaps their lawyers are on holiday?

4. Piro Silver badge

Ugh.

Seriously Apple, just make products people want, and stop with these petty tactics. The S4 is not at all confused for any iPhone. That plasticy build is clearly a world apart. They changed it. It's no S2. Stop it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ugh.

" The S4 is not at all confused for any iPhone. That plasticy build is clearly a world apart." and is something which is appealing to vast numbers of consumers considering the iFolly looks as old as a motorola razr.

No wonder the iFolly market is shrinking! It’s as old and decrepit as its user base.

5. mmeier

IMHO - both iOS and Android can go the way of the Dodo.

1. stephajn

Are you by any chance a Blackberry or Windows Phone user?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Careful

Don't mention the 'W' word. If it's mentioned three times in the comments, Eadon appears!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

Re: Careful

(in the vein of BeetleJuice)

MICROSOFT WINDOWS, MICROSOFT WINDOWS, MICROSOFT WINDOWS!!!!

2. andreas koch
        Happy

@ stephajn -

BREW.

3. Daniel B.
        Trollface

@stephajn

Haven't seen his other posts? He's got Microsoft-phillia.

I myself am a Blackberry user. I'd rather have other alternatives like the Elop-murdered Symbian for a replacement smartphone, but as it stands it seems BB is still the only one that gives me both security and privacy these days, and isn't Yet Another Annoying Microsoap Product.

4. Shagbag
        Thumb Up

Are you by any chance a Blackberry or the Windows Phone user?

There, fixed that for ya'.

5. mmeier

No. A soon to be "no more smartphone" user. As soon as a Baytrail Win8 is out the Note 2 goes into the bay.

6. Kevin Hutchinson
    Meh

iPads due for a refresh

As has already been established in the court, Apple didn't invent the tablet computer (or phone). And if they don't release a new iPad soon, then Amazon, Google and Samsung will all be offering better products (Kindle, Nexus, Galaxy, Note, etc).

1. NewAccount

Re: iPads due for a refresh

"And if they don't release a new iPad soon, then Amazon, Google and Samsung will all be offering better products (Kindle, Nexus, Galaxy, Note, etc)."

And if they don't release a new iPad soon, then Amazon, Google and Samsung will all continue offering better products (Kindle, Nexus, Galaxy, Note, etc).

... just a minor tweak.

7. Mikel
    IT Angle

As if there wasn't going to be another one?

The court may as well schedule a standing reservation for this nonsense. Make the parties build their own courthouse and hire their own judge and court staff. Maybe pay for it with lawyer mixed martial arts cage matches on pay-per-view.

1. Martin Gregorie
      IT Angle

Re: As if there wasn't going to be another one?

"Maybe pay for it with lawyer mixed martial arts cage matches on pay-per-view."

Yes!! Read "Gladiator-at-law" by Pohl & Kornbluth to see what a great spectator sport that could be. It would also provide a much-needed lawyer cull.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Headmaster

Just lay a few gas pipes and get it over with.

1. pepper
          Devil

I think we should go with the BOFH's method of sorting out negotiations, put them all in a conference room with a brick under each seat. Tell them last man standing will get the deal and seal the door.

Oh, dont remember to advice the surviving contestant to take the service elevator to the bathroom, its slightly faster(you need to wipe away the blood and brainy bits offcourse). Note that this elevator will first act like a carnival ride between floor 1 and 8 and concequently gets stuck in the basement(where noone will hear the banging). This should were him down sufficiently for final negotiations.

Much cheaper and double the fun over CCTV!

8. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Unhappy

Self defeating behaviour?

If Apple wish to decrease their share value further through contentious behaviour ( and the resultant less than favourable press presented to investors) they certainly appear to be going the right way about it. With the hand of Mr. "Reality Distortion Field" Jobs (RIP) no longer at the helm, I get the impression of a steady descent into corporate mediocrity. Just MHO.

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Mum. Can we go home now? I bored.

10. Frumious Bandersnatch

Damn

I wish this whole patent litigation thing was something more like it's portrayed in Spiral (Engrenages) from the telly (BBC). I'd love to see what would happen if a case like this landed on Judge Roban's desk. All this litigation definitely waxes vexatious.

11. Captain DaFt

Ya gotta love diplomatic legalese!

"they consume considerable amounts of the court's time and energy, which takes time way from other parties who also require and are entitled to the court's attention."

Translation: "Fuck off and stop wasting my time!"

12. GaryDMN

Jobs legacy

These law suits are Steve Jobs legacy. He was quoted saying "I don't care about the money, I have money, I want them to stop copying Apple". He was referring to the litigation and monetary awards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Jobs legacy

Apple is litigating just for the money. They have to, because the law says they must do everything they can to protect the interests of their shareholders. So they don't have a choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So they don't have a choice."

I think you misunderstand protecting the shareholders.

If you are damaging the public image (which Apple so heavily relies on), then you are lowering the brands value ergo, potentially lowering the share value.

Many high profile companies, such as Apple, Mercedes, Rolex, Gucci all rely on brand image, far more than there actual products.

2. GeirOElnir

Apple is not interested in the money, they want Samsung to stop using 'their stuff'.

Last year jury agreed it was 'their stuff' and Samsung was using it, and they shouldn't be.

3. lunatik96
        Coat

Litigation is required to increase shareholder value? hahahahaha

How about producing quality products at a reasonable price?

Oh that isn't in their game plan.

Produce inexpensive products and sell for 3 times the cost of manufacture.

Apple's ethics are in no danger of being questioned, with child sacrifices and all.

Apple is worse than Microsoft ever was.

2. Shagbag

He was a man of contradictions.

On the one hand he says the wants them to stop copying Apple. On the other he says "Good artists copy, great artists steal. And we [Apple] have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

A hypocrite.

13. Belardi
    Unhappy

Next week... Apple sues Samsung for being on the planet Earth.

Stop it Apple, you look like assholes. You generally a have the best tablet in the world... I like my iPad-1. But this BS makes me not want to get another Apple product. I already only stick with Android phones... I don't care for the Apple UI for a phone.

14. NewAccount
    Pint

C r A p p l e

App - Crap - iCrap

Apple - Crapple

Sick to the iBalls of crApple's mediochre, vastly overhyped, vastly overpriced consumer goods, copying, legalising rivals, believing in themselves (or faking it to take in their oh-so-gullible fan-babies). Technology for people too stupid for technology, too gullible to understand that a eff-ing computer is just an eff-ing computer, and putting shiny lipstick on it adds nothing to its quality (*).

(More than happy to take down-votes from Appey-clappies on this one, because they're worth it).

The only thing that makes me hope that Apple will survive for quite some while is their entertainment value. I get even more pleasure sniggering at 'Special Needs' Apple users than I used to get sniggering at shell-suit fashionistas. The funniest thing of all (in both cases) is the way they thought / think they're cool, whereas their main purpose is actually to entertain the thinking people on an otherwise boring train journey or Friday.

Speaking of which, Friday looms, beckons, flirts just a litle provocatively...

(*) A bit like Paris, whose quality is beyond addition.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: C r A p p l e

"mediochre" – do you mean an even paler brownish-yellow color than ochre?

Oh, and by the way, the rabidity of your excoriation of anything Apple makes you appear not only dotty, but also somewhat morbidly obsessed.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Enough with all the polite self restraint, tell us what you really think :)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Anyone who seriously says CrApple must surely be about 12...? How about Samsunk? Grow up.

15. NewAccount
    Thumb Up

'"mediochre" – do you mean an even paler brownish-yellow color than ochre?'

P.S. just up-voted you for picking me up on mediochre.

(Ironically, I am typing this on an iPad, where playing guess-the-word-substitution tends to distract from English as she is typed. Or, at least, once was).

16. NewAccount
    Meh

'"mediochre" – do you mean an even paler brownish-yellow color than ochre?'

No. I meant mediocre, really. But, now that you mention it, the 'medi' would have suggested a moderation of the ochre-ness, though just as likely towards a darker as a paler hue.

'Oh, and by the way, the rabidity of your excoriation of anything Apple makes you appear not only dotty, but also somewhat morbidly obsessed.'

It wasn't an excoriation it was a rant, plain and simple.

And it wasn't about 'anything' Apple, just about the crApple part of it which, it seems to me, has been a steadily increasing part for some time.

Concerning 'makes you appear' / 'morbidly obsessed', that's a way of looking at it. Especially at this time of night. On the morrow I might endeavour to learn from those Applistas who are not, in their own way, morbidly obsessed. Or not.

(And 'somewhat'? Who needs 'somewhat'?)

(And 'dotty'? Hmmm... My grandfather used to use that word. A worthy gentleman, my grandfather.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dont bite. It just feeds to tolls!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

You of all people don't get to lecture about troll feeding.

17. Fluffy Bunny
    Paris Hilton

If they were doing this in Australia, they would be labelled a vexatious littigator and denied access to the courts.

18. Stephen 2

I bought the S3 because of this legal nonsense

I'm a big apple fanboi, used to be bigger. I got so fed up with Apples nonsense lawsuits that I went out of my way to buy the galaxy s3 instead of upgrading to the newest iphone.

They may win some money in court but they're losing many of us who used to dump every penny we had into 'anything apple' and used to tell our friends and family to do the same thing.

1. GeirOElnir

Re: I bought the S3 because of this legal nonsense

Yes, this Korean home appliance maker with a weapons division make some neat phones.

Samsung kicks ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ

1. g e
        FAIL

Weapons division = government pork for R&D.

R&D = invention and innovation (something still apple dimly remembers)

Which translates into tech for consumers.

The AC's (Apple Cultists) will disagree, natch, but they'll be the ones appreciating stuff like ABS and traction controls systems on their cars which comes from 'weapons grade' Formula One Car R&D. Same principle.

Still, the thought of One Infinite Loop as a Korean-crafted smoking hole in the ground does have its appeal.

1. GeirOElnir

Samsungs internal emails that came up at last years trial show quite plainly that, at least for phones, Samsungs 'innovation' has a lot of 'do what whatever Apple does' in it. At least the jury thought so. Samsung was found guilty infringement but can happily keep on infringing. It's not unlikely that in a few years, maybe as soon as somewhere after the launch of the Galaxy S5 or so, Samsung has to pay for the infringing S3.

Apple would prefer Samsung to stop using 'their stuff', but nobody wants to make Samsung do that.

Meanwhile, Samsung thinks that (maybe) paying a few 100 million 'damages' in a few years to get yourself cemented as a a top smartphone brand now, is cheap.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really. Sound like you shot yourself in the foot. So if some ripped off your product you would then go out of your way to BUY that product. Why not just buy the product you wanted and ignore all the behind the scenes litigation as it exists on both sides - Samsung sue Apple as well you know.

If only Apple made fridges and microwaves I could really stick it to Samsung.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"If only Apple made fridges and microwaves I could really stick it to Samsung."

They'd also need to sell food, otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy anything to put in them.

19. GeirOElnir

So adding the S4 is to much work, but a new trial doing all the same stuff again is OK?

The S4 trial can't start until long after the S4 stops selling, maybe they hope Apple won't bother.

1. g e

Yep

I should imagine though, that a judge who's had enough of apple's pram-face can say 'fine you're scheduled for preliminary hearings in 2017, as we're a bit busy with dickheads clogging up the system for everyone else.'

20. g e
    Pint

Irony overload

Apple, the incessant whiner of people copying it's shit, releases DroidOS7 IOS7.

May I be among the first to raise a weekend-ahoy glass to another halving of their share price.

Pint for all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Irony overload

You really are a cock.

21. The Dark Lord
    Flame

Patents Damage User Experience for All

I don't really care who copied whom. My problem with all these obscure patents is that they harm the usability of devices. When one firm tries to claim that their "swipe" is in some way their legal property, it means that another firm has to think of something different. The users are screwed, because they have to remember two gestures and which gesture belongs to which device.

So while the lawyers have their high priced pissing contest, users are stuck with needlessly obscured functionality for which they've had to pay over the odds in order to pay for the lawyers that nobody in the whole fucking world actually wants.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

strange behaviour

Apple seem intent on self destruction. For quite a while now Apple's principal image is one of a patent troll - not an innovator of next gen devices. To me, it's and odd strategy.

If Apple want to beat Samsung into submission they should release the next big killer iThing - and I'm not talking about another tedious incremental version of their over priced and under spec'ed phone or tablet.

Looks to me like the behaviour of an organisation whose ideas have all dried up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: strange behaviour

Apple release something - Samsung copy it perhaps?? Isn't this why they are in court...?

I'm waiting for the Samsung cylinder shaped desktop now and when it arrives guess people will say they didn't copy Apple?

1. PsychicMonkey
        Pint

Re: strange behaviour

Brabantia are the ones who will sue Apple for the new desktop bin...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

How long before...

Apple et al are declared a Vexatious Litigant?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How long before...

Samsung don't sue then - WRONG.

24. Paul 164
    Megaphone

No more courtroom action...

"Apple's legal team undoubtedly would prefer that any new lawsuit not be presided over by Judge Grewal – it's clear that he's had it up to here with the entire squabble."

Yeah... Him and the rest of the World have had it up to here with this petty litigation shit!

How the hell anyone could confuse the two products is beyond me (some UI icons may look similar on the Samsung too, but that's just it - UI icons on many platforms look very similar!), and it's not as if Apple haven't ripped off anyone ever, is it? Steve Jobs "invented" the mouse - by ripping it off from Xerox?

I've got loads of Apple products but I think what they're doing is utterly stupid. And boring.

- Megaphone because both companies need to listen to their customers!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That smug slowly drains away and replace with HUGE globs of shame/remorse/embarrasment.

Sad sad people need to move away from the embarrasing folly and embrace real innovation. Sorry, your hipster tag has diminished!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe this is Samsungs ploy - come out with new models all the time so they go after the S3 but by the time it gets to court it's a S4 rinse and repeat. One day everyone will stop buying Samsung and buy whoever makes the now best Android phone - but they are just looking to make cash as quickly as possible.

What gets me if people whinge the iPhone is expensive yet the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are about the same / more expensive now.

1. PsychicMonkey
      WTF?

iPhone is expensive

the HTC One & the Galaxy S4 may be similar prices, but they are superior phones.

1. GeirOElnir

Re: iPhone is expensive

But realize that they come with Android, which is not a product, but part of the harvesting machinery for Google's (and malware makers' ) products : lusers like you.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps Apple should port Android so it can run on iPhone - that way you can buy an iPhone and run iOS or Android - bit like with a Macbook you can run OS X or install Windows etc. Personally I run OS X but have Windows for a few legacy apps.

28. ejmfoley

The ironic thing is that these lawsuits actually gave Samsung credibility. The average consumer sees what's going on and thinks, Apple is scared of Samsung, their products must be pretty good. It backfired.

29. rcp27

Too Slow

It seems to me that the time taken to get a patent law suit from initiation to judgement is currently longer than the product lifecycle of smartphones and tablets.

30. ChristianG
    Stop

I am an Apple fan.

I appreciate that Apple (and their ilk) jealously guard their patents nowadays but what is happening now is entirely inappropriate. Mind, it's "the law" which makes it so; today it seems that you can get a patent for pretty well anything - thus making the law a complete ass.

It's about time that Apple (and others) recognised that fact and stopped making a mockery of the whole process, even if "the law" says otherwise - or seems to.

31. Howard Hanek
    Mushroom

Give 'em a Break!

Come On! The blood sucking parasitic horde of lawyers employed by these two benighted corporate pugilists need to eat too. Well, perhaps if they aren't fed they'll resort to cannibalism. On second thought maybe it's best this gets settled out of court.....Right!

32. Anomalous Cowshed

Hey!

Hey, Apple, man! Cut the lawsuits and show us some truly amazing and revolutionary products. And I mean truly amazing and revolutionary. You have masses of cash, loads of employees, you make billions of profits. You've shaken the market a number of times over the past few years. Now your shareholders, employees and customers would love to see you pull a similar thing out of the hat. No more redecoration. Time for something really new.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Considering that market share of Icrap keeps dropping while the market share for Samsung is exploding, Apple is fighting back with the only weapon it knows. Samsung phones are getting better while Iphones are the same. This law suite garbage is insuring that I would rather live without a mobile phone than be forced into owing an Apple product. Shame on Cook

34. AidanCheddar

I can see the future now

20 years later... Apple adds yet another Samsung device.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like