back to article Dish DASHED: No Sprint, no Clearwire, no spectrum. No sale

Dish Network has officially withdrawn its offer for Clearwire, giving up the fight against Sprint for control of the firm and its coveted radio spectrum. The satellite TV company was already slogging it out in a losing battle, after the board said it favoured majority shareholder Sprint's bid to buy, because it had upped its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Kelly 2

Dish Didn't Lose

Dish did Clearwire's stockholders a favor in forcing Sprint to pay more. That may make it harder for Sprint to survive and easier in the future for Dish to pick up the pieces. Or it may not. Dish played, the cards have been dealt. Now lets see what happens.

1. Charles 9

Re: Dish Didn't Lose

Thing is, Sprint got it all. Not only do they get Clearwire's spectrum which they can use to improve service and compete better against AT&T and Verizon, but now they also have better financial backing.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm devastated- Poor Charlie...

Dish Network, the Meanest Company in America

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-02/dish-network-the-meanest-company-in-america

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm devastated- Poor Charlie...

One really has to wonder how in the course of 30 years you can go from installing satellite dishes (which at that time was a rarity) to building a company to what Dish provides. Makes you really wonder how many people he stepped on, trampled over and gave a royal screw job too in the process.

I have always viewed Dish as a second rate provider of services. There is the right way and the wrong way (albeit it works) to do something and Dish always seemed to like the latter. Let's sell service where you need three or four dishes on the roof to get all of the channels.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

Does this mean Dish will stop spamming me?

And I'm not even in North America

4. Inachu
    Pint

Not out of the game yet.

I am sure they will aquire some telephone celluar company startup or something to get what they need.

By the way it looks like they just might get what they want if not even if it was or was not Sprint.

They are not a second rate service. They service a niche market where people buy their service whereas they would have no internet at all. So something is better than nothing. So who would buy their service? Farmers. Or people who live so far away from the rest of humanity.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like