Google battery drain.

This topic was created by TeeCee .

1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Flame

Google battery drain.

Courtesy of some recent Google updates, something called "Google services" is now thrashing the living shit out of my battery life. Apparently, while teh internets are awash with reports of this issue on just about every device you've ever heard of[1], Google deny there's a problem.

Anyone here worked out how to fix it yet? Uninstalling Google Services solves it, but the fucking thing reinstalls silently as soon as a data connection is available (Google? That's EVIL, that is....).

[1] From reading around it looks like they've even managed to shaft the iPhone too, so this cockup is not even Android specific.....

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Google battery drain.

More info:

ICS (and possibly earlier release) users see this as "Google services" chewing the battery like its free. JB must have the goocruft (tm) (beta) integrated, as they just seem to get a honking usage by the Android OS itself[1] reported.

Edit: Rather amusingly, Android's fragmentation seems to be working in Google's favour here. While there are many complaining about battery life after update on various devices, they all seem to be directing their invective at the device in question and/or its makers. Very few seem to have joined the dots and spotted that this is a Google cockup affecting a whole range of devices..

[1] Or "lies" as I like to think of it.

2. SiempreTuna

I guess they fixed this in 4.2.2 as I don't have the issue, however you could try disabling any apps that you don't want running but can't remove (Settings .. Apps)

You might also try other standard battery conservation stuff:

- turning off location services

- turning off sync and any radios you're not using (see Power Widget)

and since this doesn't cover everything:

- turn off / increase times between syncs for things like e-mail, facebook, news and weather widgets etc

- setting screen brightness to auto - or just lowering it

- reduce the screen timeout time

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon