back to article India's eager IT grads fall for fake interview scams

Technology companies in India are warning prospective employees of a fresh round of scam mail designed to trick job-seekers into paying a security deposit in return for an interview. The fraudulent letters and emails usually hit a peak between June and August as this is the beginning of the academic year in India and the time …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right out of school and they are already learning a valuable lesson in life.

2. ChrisM

ouch...

Harsh lesson straight out of school. Not sure our graduates would do any better with that scam.

We have a different scam over here though called 'Internships'

1. Callam McMillan

Re: ouch...

As a TV show once said "You take someone who wants something for nothing, and give them nothing for something." This doesn't look much different.

As for internships, mine paid me £50k, so I'm not going to knock them

2. Ceb

Re: ouch...

Nah. The scam we have here is college itself. Unless you're in the hard sciences or mathematics... college is wasted money.

Even if you assume that you'll make more out of the college gate then you would without a degree, the overwhelming debt most students wind up with and the interest they pay on it more than overshadows that extra money.

Most students are better off out of high school to go to trade schools or pick up industry specific certifications and get to work.

3. Adze

Tech companies should learn from this...

...it's a potentially great interview technique to sort the wheat from the chaff - fall for an internet scam, particularly straight from doing a technology related degree, go to the bottom of the list when it comes to face to face interviews or the back of the line when it comes to salaries.

4. Anomalous Cowshed

Job ad in the local newspaper in a small town near Bangalore...

Big bizness Apel, very good company, he make ifon, he looking for new conpute progama. He good pay, much mani. You come interview quik, or byebye job. Mani pipel apli. You speshal man? Want have job garanti? Pay 10000 Ringgit Apel and you sure interview, garanti. Pay now for be sure job. Your sincerli. Apel

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I'm not sure why this is news?

I've long known that India was the home of graft. I guess that the government employees got a little miffed that someone else was feeding from their trough.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not news.

This kids had to get past people trying to sell them university places. There are people trying to sell government jobs, railway jobs, techie jobs, all kinds of jobs.

People are poor and the competition is intense. Don't judge the victims too hard. But I'd like to take the perpetrators and suspend them in a sewage pit.

1. LateNightLarry
        Paris Hilton

Re: It's not news.

Why suspend them... just throw them in and push them down with a ten foot pole... or longer if necessary.

As for Paris... why the H*** not?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Mushroom

Re: Why suspend them?

Very true. But some things bring out the nasty in me, and I don't wish these people a quick ending.

We have something called manual scavenging. It is supposed to be illegal, but it is a long way from being wiped out. It means people going into drains and sewers, with no protection, to clean and unblock them.

I think it would be an ideal life sentence for the people who do this stuff to young students. There are even people who hang around admissions halls and, under one pretext or another, rob youngsters of that money that was impossible to raise in the first place and represents their single chance in life. Those people would be a perfect fit for sewer cleaning.

Now I need to go and find a silly thread to post on so I can calm down.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pity the non-native English speaking candidate who has to digest IBM's Legalese...

"IBM, as a policy, does not authorize external parties to conduct employment drives or extend Offers of employment on its behalf. It is also not our policy to charge or collect fees of any kind from educational institutions or from candidates for participation in a recruitment event or to receive Offers of employment."

How about simplifying this and putting the candidate first to make it clearer to the potential mark...

'IBM does not charge its candidates fees for interviews, or for participation in a recruitment event or to receive Offers of employment. It is also not our policy to charge or collect fees of any kind from educational institutions. Lastly, IBM does not authorize external parties to conduct employment drives or extend Offers of employment on its behalf.'

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like