back to article Asus releases application kit for Eee PC coders

Asus has posted a Software Development Kit (SDK) for the Eee PC, the better to help coders write new programs to run on the elfin laptop's Xandros Linux distribution. The SDK centres on a development environment called Eclipse, and includes TrollTech's Qt for interface design. Asus is also supplying VMWare-compatible code to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dan russell

Hey, it's bikini bird again...

are there really no other pictures of the eee that you are prepared to use...

2. Rob
    Paris Hilton

Heresy

Does anyone live near Mr Russell? -if so could they pop round and see if he weighs the same as a duck please..

Paris, as she'd probably also do the eee bikini girl.

3. Elmer Phud
    Paris Hilton

Diverted attention

After a while the picture becomes familiar and one's attention is no longer drawn just to cleavage -- I'm now not so sure that she's smiling. Is that a frown or grimace?

Though I do get the feeling that many Reg readers will not be happy until the picture changes to an Eee PC wedged in a far more substantial cleavage - sad but no doubt true. Now boys, wash your hands and grow up.

Paris - as she couldn't measure up (or is it down) to that expectation.

4. Richard Twinn
    Happy

@ dan

i hope not

5. tom currie
    Go

Now I expect it

From now on there better be an article on the EEPC every day. Surely there is *some* angle that involves EEPC. And the picture of a girl in the sun where she obviously cannot make out the display, because she's straining to see it.

6. dan russell

I think she has cellulite

It's a photo of a girl, get over it Moss

7. Steve Evans

@Elmer Phud

I'm getting a bit immune to the picture too...

I find my eyes no longer drawn to the naked flesh, but to the incorrect shadows of the photoshop job that placed the Eee in the picture in the first place!

Maybe someone could photoshop it into the more substantial cleavage you suggested :-D

Hmmm... Well it is Friday afternoon... I wonder...

8. H
    IT Angle

@ tom

Do we have a new Reg mantra in the making then? "Where's the Eee angle?"

9. William Towle
    Linux

May require Xandros installation

Apparently the SDK is distributed as a 1.2GB disk image that installs Xandros (according to http://eeesite.net/2008/03/asus-launches-eee-pc-sdk.html).

The SDK Guide does at least have instructions for use under VMware should you not wish to (re)partition a machine accordingly, but this still assumes you've got disk space and I'm with folks who reckon a liveCD [with install option] might have been preferable (which is how I do development work at present). I'm guessing it's "necessary" to use the native compiler in whatever version it is that's provided.

The resulting applications are apparently suitable for the EP20 (the desktop version) as well, though, which is promising if not surprising.

10. spegru
    Go

Xandros

That looks positive for the future of the eee.

If there's a new Xandros SDK then presumably there will be Xandros in the new bigger one, and maybe even the desktop version...

Could be attractive for other PC vendors too

11. tom currie
    Go

here she is w/o the airbrush

woman-beach.jpg at

http://www.edgetechcorp.com/assets/images/company/themes/woman-beach.jpg

Stock photo from somewhere ...

12. Jaco van der Merwe
    Paris Hilton

eeePC mascot

Great idea!

Maybe we can recruit Paris as the eeePC mascot.

Gods know, it's simple enough for her to use & fit into her bag, and it's something that's actually cheaper than she is...

13. PHIL RADELAT

Nah, We Need A Fresh Bimbo

I say Miley, before she becomes Britney...

14. storng.bare.durid
    Paris Hilton

I find it offensive..

... to read any article anyway connected with the Eee and NOT have the obligatory 'friend'.

By the way, syntax errors are fine. I/O errors are not. Don't play offside.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like