back to article 'That time I hired a call girl to do my taxes while I f****d my accountant'

This was the week when international fugitive, criminal suspect and self-described eccentric millionaire John McAfee released a tongue-in-cheek video explaining how to uninstall the security software of his one-time company. Riffing on his, shall we say, unpredictable reputation, McAfee had the following to say on the NSFW …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Right John

"I had some beautiful software"

There are plenty of adjectives I could use to describe your software, beautiful is certainly not one of them.

I thought you were delusional, I just didn't realise how much.

1. dogged

Re: Right John

It wasn't horrible fifteen years ago.

It is now.

2. Daniel B.

It wasn't that bad when he sold it. Same thing happened with Norton AV, after it got sold, it started going shitty!

1. FrankAlphaXII

Why anyone would use the Norton branded crap as opposed to Symantec Endpoint Protection if you have to deal with Symantec? It winds up being cheaper than the Norton shit if you manage it from their cloud service anyway, at least for SMBs, and you don't have to purchase in increments of three seat licenses (maybe there's a way to purchase for a single seat for the Norton product. I couldn't find it, though admittedly I had better things to do than fuck around with Symantec's store for an hour), which is damned annoying when you need licenses for four seats.

The test system ran very well with Endpoint Protection installed when I was evaluating both Norton Internet Security and Symantec Endpoint Protection for a side job recently, but the system gimped along like an Elephant on Quaaludes while running NIS after a fresh install of Windows 7.

It was kind of surprising really, as they both use the same engines AFAIK.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

@Dan B

Please, if you are going to mention the N word, at least have the good grace to prefix your sentence with

[nsfyc]

Thanks.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that mcafee video

... and those women

I hope John doesn't catch a virus.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need a quote? Here's one I prepared earlier.

"There’s no doubt that John McAfee loves to manipulate the media, and be the centre of attention."

That's a bit rich coming from Graham Cluley, who is to mainstream media PC security quotes what Ray Boulger of brokers John Charcol is to quotes about the mortgage industry. And I don't mean that in a positive way about either, sorry.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forgive me, but is the the same McAfee that spreads malware?

You know, the kind of theing that tries to perfom an unwanted and uninvited executive action on your PC, and to do so BY DEFAULT.

The bloody pre-ticked McAfee scanner that gets intalled by default, with Adobe Flash Player updates.

Malware is as malware does and, by the definition above the McAfee install is bloody malware, pure and simple.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

"by the definition above the McAfee install is bloody malware"

Yes, but the definition you gave for malware isn't the real definition. Malware is software intended to harm your machine. McAfee is shovelware, but it's not malware. If it was, you wouldn't have the option to untick that box.

I'm guessing you installed Flash, hammered the Next button as fast as you could, and are now crying because McAfee got installed as well.

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

"Pitting one area of the country against another sounds a bit sleazy."

Not HP with the sleaze though. Someone else thought it was a good idea to offer companies a fat bung to move to their bit of the country. Where did they think the jobs they were trying to create were going to come from, the New Jobs Out Of Thin Air Fairies?

Rule #1: Every time you see some intiative to entice employers to somewhere, somewhere else is losing out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like