back to article Hey, wannabe Murdochs, yet more chances to run your own telly station

Ofcom has opened the bidding for seven new Local TV stations, and scheduled a further 23, to join the 14 already awarded, some of which could be on the air by the end of year. As well as offering hyperlocal telly for the lucky inhabitants of sleepy North Wales town Mold (population 10,000), the latest round of licenses will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Compact101
    Happy

Wayne's World, it's party time most excellent

1. Annihilator
      Go

"As you can see, it sucks, and cuts"

"It certainly does suck"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's more exciting

Mold TV or just mould?

3. tonysmith

OR they could

Or they could just use youtube at a fraction of the cost, larger (growing) target market as opposed to setting up a real TV station with a larger cost and most probably dwindling viewer base.

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Enough content?

I wonder how these local TV companies will be able to generate enough local content.

The local newspapers struggle to fill their pages with stuff other than adverts. Is local TV going to be any better ?

5. Panicnow
    Go

Cambridge Red TV

I ran Cambridge Red TV for several years and we had no trouble making 15 hr a week watchable local content. And we lost money slow enough that the BBC funding would put it into profit!

But its too late to apply, as you had to register interest 3 months ago to be eligable to apply.

If anyone local to Cambridge wants to volunteer.... redtv@dawe.co.uk

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So...

Another foreseeable waste of taxpayers money.

The BBC (read taxpayer) is forced to fund it, forced to buy local content, the coverage will be small, and more than likely, completely ignored by all locals except those forced to watch it in care homes, doctors surgeries etc.

Hmm, I can see this being a roaring success.....

7. Andy 97
    FAIL

Let's have a look at local radio - a warning from history.

Hello all you people involved in community radio, this isn't aimed at you. I believe CR's offer a really local output and have to deal with an unbelievable torrent of effluent thrown at them from other broadcasters and prohibitive legislation that a local radio group owner was instrumental in influencing in his favor.

I have one thing to say on the possibility of local TV: Heart FM.

8. Zmodem

no csi or documentries about egypts history is a good place to start

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like