back to article Huawei muses on Nokia's future

Growing its smartphone shipments by 94 percent from Q1 2012 to Q1 2013 might not be enough to satisfy Huawei: it's reportedly floated the idea of acquiring Nokia. According to a report in the Financial Times, the rising Chinese giant would consider buying the veteran Finnish mobile phone vendor, but isn't impressed at its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They could sell more phones by selling Sailfish, Firefox and Ubuntu handsets than buying Nokia.

"Free" is what the handset manufacturers like with the only exceptions being Apple and RIM. The majority of the sales are with an "free" (Android) OS. Windows is the only pay for OS available.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Affordability

If they bide their time, the purchase of Nokia in a few years will be a snip at 99p.

2. Nick Kew

Just what Nokia needs

If Huawei wants Nokia, it's because Nokia has considerable assets and they're going cheap following Nokia's three or four years of failing. For Huawei it might also see it as a workaround for western protectionism in the guise of security concerns.

Could spark a bidding war if others see potential in those assets.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Just what Microsoft needs

A worldwide whispering campaign against the big chinese manufacturers leave Microsoft free to play the good guys and rescue Nokia.

How very convenient. If they get lucky state interference will keep the bidding low as well.

(With current MS management, there's no believable hint of planning for this specific route to owning Nokia though... the incompetent idiots just got lucky)

1. Schultz

Re: "leave Microsoft free to play the good guys"

If there was any lingering hope about Microsoft being the good guys, it must have evaporated with their preferential treatment of that large customer called NSA. If all your data belongs to some superpower anyways, why not offer some choice about the superpower?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just what Nokia needs

"If Huawei wants Nokia, it's because Nokia has considerable assets"

The brand. Which would be really useful in cracking Europe, where the Huawei name is not widely considered when shopping for a phone), and in emerging markets (like India) where the Huawei name may be a turn off.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure I trust Huawei to deliver my smartphone. Now granted I probably shouldn't trust any of the companies that deliver smartphones to do so - and I guess that at least this way you'll make sure that anything the NSA knows, their Chinese counterpart knows too.

Huawei - the fair choice?

(I have no evidence but paranoia. Huawei is probably run by the nicest of people and comes preinstalled only with rainbows and lollipops)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Seeing as the vast majority of handsets are made in China by contract manufacturers your fears are misplaced. Anyway the spooks want, and get, backdoors in the networks so they can listen in on everyone. The reason why the US is worried is that Huawei is probably not prepared to give them access to the backdoors in its equipment.

For a large Chinese company Huawei is reasonably well run with established centres of development outside of China. ZTE on the other hand is still largely controlled by the army.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Not sure I trust Huawei to deliver my smartphone."

Having used their current crop, It's not a matter of trusting them because of their political connections, it's more because they're more than a little "rough around the edges".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the tip of the iceberg

Huawei buying Nokia is not about smartphones, it is about ISP equipment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the tip of the iceberg

I assume you're referring to telco equipment (=Nokia Siemens Networks)?

I suspect NSN would never be part of the deal. Yes, Siemens is looking to cash in PDQ but I can't imagine competition authorities anywhere approving the acquisition of NSN by Huawei...

You're right in that it wouldn't be about smarthphones - it would be about patents.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It will be waste because......

All the patents are already with M$. What asstes are they talking about?

Would you consider M$ WIndows 8 phone OS as asset, for which one has to pay licence fee?

Something doesnt seem right in this argument.

1. Shagbag
      Boffin

Nokia's assets

The brand.

The engineering and design team.

...are two that come to mind.

WP8 is definitely a liability. The problem is knowing how much it would cost to extinguish that liability (ie. terminate the contract).

The WP8 contract could be a Poison Pill to any acquiror.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple will buy Nokia first...

There are several governments who will not allow the sale of Nokia to Huawei to happen. Expect Microsoft or Apple to buy them. My money would be on Apple. ;-)

Not that I have any insider information, but that Apple has a certain problem that they need to solve and Nokia has the tech to solve it.

Just saying...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Apple will buy Nokia first...

Apple doesn't have much of a record for this kind of acquisition: buying a large company, stripping out the IP and selling or closing the rest. You don't need engineers for that but lots and lots of beancounters.

Other manufacturers would never let Apple go it alone. Much more likely for a joint bid, presumably led by Microsoft who we can assume to have already assured itself with preferential rights, with the IP going to a patent pool as happened with Nortel.

If we're lucky Microsoft will get in a bidding war with itself again like it did with Skype.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Going - going - gone!

With the sale of Nokia Win-Mobile will bite the big one.

8. CyberAngel
    Megaphone

True Value

cash 4.5 billion

patents

engineers

brands (Nokia, Here, Pureview, Lumia, Symbian, Asha, ...)

NavTeq map system

etc

the value of the company is at lest three times more than current speculative price of the shares

grab as you can...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like