back to article Chinese hackers launch PRISM scare campaign

The Chinese group behind the recently discovered NetTraveler attacks is now using widespread interest in the infamous National Security Agency (NSA) PRISM surveillance program to encourage users to open malicious email attachments, it has emerged. Brandon Dixon of the 9bplus blog said he came across an email uploaded to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google malware strikes again ..

'MSCOMCTL.OCX RCE Vulnerability - CVE-2012-0158`

2. MrDamage Silver badge
    Trollface

Easy to avoid

Nobody is interested in PLISM

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Widespread interest"?

From what I can see, on this side of the pond if you're not a Guardian reader or a reader of the likes of El Reg, you don't know or care about it.

So the malware may actually be spreading interest, rather than capitalising on it.

1. ukgnome
      Meh

Re: "Widespread interest"?

I am both a guardian reader and an El Reg reader and yet I don't care much about it. For every commentard that bangs on about how terrible it is that spy organisations harvest data for their spying needs there are hundreds that don't actually care that much.

Next you will be telling me that the CCTV cameras in the town centre are monitored.

And as for the conspiracy theory nutters, yeah PRISM is a smokescreen for the bilderberg / G8 / Aliens seen over moscow stories.

MEH MEH MEH!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lighten up, Mr Gnome. It was just an observation on the lack of 'widespread interest' in the UK.

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

1. ukgnome
          Thumb Up

No one expects the spannish inquisition........etc

I can understand the lack of interest as a free thinking libtard Brit :-)

In the UK we are not surprised by this, as we all know about Bletchly Park and the work it carried out in WWII. If it wasn't for the work of the code breakers and spy network then Norwich wouldn't still be on the map (or summink)

It's just that the whole of prism is a bit of a non story for a lot of us, and the media has tried to fuel this by negative reporting. Yes some people have their emails scanned, it has happened for a while. Yes some calls are recorded (and not just for training dolphins or porpoises) And yes some people are outraged as they seeminly had no idea that communications could be intercepted on such a high level. However a lot of people was never under any illusion that facebook, G+ and twitter are public and that sometimes keywords in communications are flagged for investigation.

apologies if you thought I was trying to use surprise, well surprise and fear, and maybe fanatical devotion to the pope as weapons against your post.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No need to apologize. I'm content that you don't know where I live, so I don't have to fear the comfy chair.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

get out of Guantanamo free card

So the lesson is if you are a western hacker make sure to add 20pct extra Tibetan targets in case you get caught then you can claim the Chinese were behind it.

5. Anomalous Cowshed

American government hackers retaliate

Message aimed primarily at Western women

Your cat is not safe. The Chinese are coming to get her. They are going to catch her and put her in a freezer before cooking her as a meal for their army as it collects information aboutinvades your country. Click here to register your cat for protection.

6. Orcus
    Pint

Paranoia as an attack vector

Just because you are paranoid ...

doesn't mean you should click on the attachment.

This topic is closed for new posts.