back to article Boffins find evidence Atlantic Ocean has started closing

On November 1st, 1755, the Portuguese capital Lisbon experienced a very nasty earthquake. Up to 100,000 people died and much of the city was destroyed. A Portuguese scientist working in Australia now says the earthquake was caused by an 'embryonic subduction zone' that may split the Eurasian tectonic plate and cause the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

I Blame the EU

Sorry, its a Monday morning and that is all I could come up with.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: I Blame the EU

Nah. Global warming.

2. andreas koch
      Happy

All those friggin' immigrants, I'd say.

Want my 'Daily Mail' when I'm finished?

1. g e
        Facepalm

It's the bankers, I tell ya.

(Well, Global Warming had already been taken)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

In other news scientists have discovered a nascent subduction can give you CANCER.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Go

It's a Chinese commie plot to destroy the western world !

Damn patient those Chinese

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought the commie plot was fluoridisation?

Preserve our bodily fluids.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Excellent News

This is wonderful news on two counts. Firstly, even if it is the EU's fault, if the Atlantic is about to close up, then we'll be able to leave the EU soon enough, and be conveniently placed to join NAFTA.

Secondly if the Gorringe subduction zone becomes as famous as the San Andreas fault, then poets and songwriters will now have something to rhyme with Orange.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

Re: Excellent News

They already have something that ryhmes with orange...

Dor'inge...

Hinges. On a door.

Dor'inge...

1. andreas koch
          Coffee/keyboard

@ comz1 - Re: Excellent News

as per icon.

2. Peter Johnstone
          Thumb Up

Was that a Monkey Island reference? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9my0tsutw

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"then we'll be able to leave the EU soon enough, and be conveniently placed to join NAFTA.

Only from below the Earth's crust. The Atlantic sea floor has been produced by a diverging margin, and is therefore newer and usually less dense than older rock, such as the European continent. That usually means that the newer plate overrides the older plate at a subduction zone. So Europe will be sucked down into the Earth's mantle.

Europeans: Funny langugages, a comedy currency, and now it turns out they even built the whole thing on the wrong bit of rock. Looking on the brights side, volcanoes and new mountain ridges might pop up, making Blackpool a bit more lively than it has been a for an eon or so.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

If I remember my geology correctly, continental crust is formed when oceanic crust subducts and is re-melted along with water to form a different set of minerals. These are less dense than those in oceanic crust, which is formed from minerals in the mantle (which is underneath us because it is denser). In this case, I would expect the crust under the Atlantic to subduct under the other half of the eurasian plate, subjecting western Europe to extended earthquakes and volcanism.

If you do an image search for the term 'subduction zone' using a Famous Web Search Engine, you get some diagrams of how this happens.

3. Code Monkey

@ I ain't Spartacus

Secondly if the Gorringe subduction zone becomes as famous as the San Andreas fault, then poets and songwriters will now have something to rhyme with Orange.

Not only does it rhyme with "Orange" but Gorringe Bank has massive rhyming slang potential as well.

4. Irony Deficient

rhyming with orange

I ain’t Spartacus, this article lists eight different rhymes* for orange.

More seriously, Gorringe has been rhymed with Blood Orange by (fully armed) poets and songwriters since the Boer War.

* — In the immortal words of Pliny the Elder, addito salis grano.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Go

/strumming on a guitar

"Your love sucked me dry as an orange, and it's your fault, just like the Gorringe!"

(Needs work, but fortunately I have at least 20 million years to finish it and get the band back together.....)

5. Crisp
      Pirate

This is all because of pirates. Open your eyes people!

6. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@Ian

How about global moving? ;-)

Global warming won't work any more I think because that has lost some credibility as of late.

But we definitely need something new so that we can start expensive investigations into it for the greater good of the children. And the best part with this name is that "moving" doesn't even have to involve the plates, you can easily make something up as well.

1. Montreal Sean

Re: @Ian

Nah, it's the fault of the cellular providers.

It's global roaming.

2. Fatman
        Stop

Re: How about global moving? ;-)

Dammit man, don't give the nutters another 'cause'!!!!

7. breakfast Silver badge

I think you'll find it's actually Microsoft's fault.

If only we had used Open Source geology for the planet, none of this would have happened.

8. Piro Silver badge

I find it hard to do that, since I discovered that all phone roaming charges are to be dropped in July 2014 in the EU.

Fantastic!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Black Helicopters

I find it hard to do that, since I discovered that all phone roaming charges are to be dropped in July 2014 in the EU.

Yet further proof that the EU is to blame! Nigel Farage is right! Just as the EU announce they're stopping roaming charges, tectonic plates start roaming round the globe like there's no tomorrow. Coincidence? Pah! EU Conspiracy more like! And the same week as a Bildeberg Group meeting as well!

The lizard-people are coming! The lizard-people are coming!

Where's the tin-foil hat icon?

2. Anomalous Cowshed

ephemeral

It's all changing, everything we see as grand and permanent, and it makes our lives seem ephemeral indeed. We are buzzing around like little flies. Our most amazing achievements soon to be turned to dust on this cosmic scale of time and power. Aaaargh! No wonder so many of us just spend our hours commenting on such articles instead of doing some work.

1. Yag
      Thumb Up

Re: ephemeral

"No wonder so many of us just spend our hours commenting on such articles instead of doing some work."

Or even less creative : upvoting posts...

1. Khaptain Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

El Reg exists to allow the depressed and the frustated a means by which they can vent their spleen. ( Maybe the French could invent a version with some kind of theme revolving around Baudelaire - Les Fleurs du Mal for the IT community).

It was once suggested that Marvin, the paranoid android, actually thought up the El Reg website as an attempt to rid himself of Existential Nihilistic thoughts, he failed and we got left with the result.....

<-- Paris, cause she looks like she is shedding a tear.

1. Mikey
          Thumb Up

@Khaptain

"It was once suggested that Marvin, the paranoid android, actually thought up the El Reg website as an attempt to rid himself of Existential Nihilistic thoughts, he failed and we got left with the result..."

Which explains where we got Eadon from, I guess? Positive proof that bad memes can take on a life of their own, and wreak havoc in the real world!

2. David Pollard

Existential nihilism. Now there's a thought for Monday morning.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It was once suggested that Marvin, the paranoid android, [...]"

Marvin was a metal reincarnation of Eeyore.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

@ khatain.

Your suggestion that Paris is wiping away a tear is ludicrous, everyone knows she is wiping main-juice from her eyelashes after a vigorous BUKAKAE session.

Paris, proof that the story about man-juice giving you good skin is completely true.

2. Elmer Phud
        Go

"Or even less creative : upvoting posts..."

Bastard-- do I up or down vote that?

Or is it time to make a cuppa and contemplate such dilemma?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Or is it time to make a cuppa and contemplate such dilemma?"

With or without sugar/milk? Plain digestive or chocolate coated? Such decisions. It's worse if you are retired - as Parkinson's Law states "every task expands to fill the available time".

My own apparently paradoxical philosophy is "Nothing in life matters - yet every small thing does matter".

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Couldn't agree more. For 99.999...% of us, we end up as no more than memories for our immediate descendants. After that, little more than a entry in a BMD register. And in a blink of universal time the BMD register itself is forgotten. And not long after that the human race is too a lost memory. And then the earth itself.

etc.

For some, its a bitter pill to swallow. I suspect that was one of the reasons why Facebook was invented.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The creative side of the IT industry is "ephemeral" writ large. In my retirement I'm doing figurative sculptures of people. They should last a while - especially if handed down the families' generations. No codecs needed to view those 3D memories.

2. Elmer Phud

"The memories of a man in his old age

Are the deeds of a man in his prime.

You shuffle in gloom of the sickroom

And talk to yourself as you die.

Life is a short, warm moment

And death is a long cold rest.

You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:

Eighty years, with luck, or even less."

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@Elmer

My vision was obscured by clouds, it took me a while to recognize the genius behind those words.

Defiantely Thumbs Up material.

3. EddieD

http://images.cryhavok.org/d/20646-1/Calvin+_amp_+Hobbes+-+I_m+Significant.jpg

3. Paul A. Clayton

That reminds me of a quote from H.C. Andersen's "The Old Oak Tree's Last Dream" (http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/hersholt/TheOldOakTreesLastDream_e.html)--a mayfly replying to an oak tree:

"No, I don't understand you at all. You have thousands of my days to live, but I have thousands of moments in which to be happy and joyous. Will all the beauty of this world die when you die?"

"No," said the tree. "It will probably last longer, infinitely longer, than I am able to imagine."

"Well, then, we each have an equally long lifetime, only we figure differently."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like ...

a novel by Saramago, Stone Raft, where the iberian peninsula goes off drifting over the atlantic

4. Tom 260
    Boffin

Plates

Tectonic plates aren't quite the large rigid bodies in the standard explanation in the article, they each contain regions that can move independently over the main plate, either at different speeds or with different vectors, with the potential to create new major plate boundaries as they do so.

One possible future with a new subduction zone off Iberia (Spain & Portugal) is for the Atlantic to continue expanding either side of it (the mid-Atlantic ridge is very staggered, rather than a straight line), with the subduction zone causing Iberia to start moving West, out over the subducting oceanic plate, separating it from Europe once more (the Pyrenees are the remnants of Iberia joining Europe).

5. Irony Deficient

with apologies to Inigo Montoya

[…] two newish zones have already been spotted in the East Atlantic. One is near the Caribbean […]

This word, near — I do not think it means what you think it means.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

compass points

"... two newish zones have already been spotted in the **East** Atlantic. One is in the North Atlantic, near the Caribbean Sea, and another lies between South America and Antarctica, beneath the 55th parallel."

N

W E

S

Am I off target here, but aren't the Caribbean and South America in the **West** Atlantic??

Is this reporter error or more dodgy science?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: compass points

I re-checked my re-checking of my compass. Apparently, the author has difficulties with the cardinal directions of the compass.

But then, the author of the paper had difficulty understanding that there already is a plate collision in the Caribbean.

Or that it's been extremely well observed and measured that the Atlantic is still spreading and Africa is still on the move. Or that the Red Sea is part of a plate separation.

Come to think of it, it seems that the author of that paper shall fail peer review quite early on.

It's a complicated set of processes, the author seems to be oversimplifying matters and his theory suffers for it.

7. Magister
    Joke

Oh no...

Bugger Scottish independence; time to start getting ready for the re-unification of Pangaea!

1. monkeyfish

Time to stick a flag in it I'd say...

...and claim it for the british empire! That way, when it rises up from the ocean floor, we'll already have it! That'll stick it to the yanks/hun/frogs etc.

8. Stephen Channell
    Coat

subduction insurance

forget PPI, subduction clauses are going to be the new policy extra that excludes many claims.

9. Schultz

Exciting times...

ooh, that we can see geology evolve in our lifetimes... I definitely hope I'll be around in some 100 million years to see the projections come true!

10. Matt_payne666
    Thumb Up

new series of Preppers...

cool, the current crop of doomsday preppers have been getting a little stale, economic collapse and dinosaurs are all unlikely, but this... this looks like a very real worry... but how will we prepare? under ground bunker? it will be more underground... bug out to the hills and live off your relatives? sounds like a better plan... either way, I look forward to seeing new fear poured on to our American cousins...

1. Elmer Phud

Re: new series of Preppers...

" I look forward to seeing new fear poured on to our American cousins.."

New Improved Recipe Rapture?

Long-term plan by El-Ron?

"Atlantic narrowed by Gays"? ([tm] SBC)

"Buy more guns to protect yourself from geological events" (NRA)

2. hplasm
      Unhappy

This will, no doubt, be seized upon by the UK 'No-Nukes' lobby to prove that the UK is unsuitable for both Atom Furnaces and deep storage of Nuclear Bric-a-Brac, due to being Geologically Unstable, Like Japan.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Boffin

> 'No-Nukes' lobby

So, experts. Science fiction novels have proposed getting rid of nuclear waste by vitrifying it and dropping it into subduction zones, on the basis that by the time the glass has dissolved/disintegrated in a few 10K years it will have been absorbed into the crust and be on its way, harmlessly, to the core.

Is this actually practical? Discuss...

1. Dan Paul
          Devil

Re: new series of Preppers...Anything is Possible but is it Practical?

The vitrification part works, West Valley Nuclear had a pilot project for it near Buffalo, NY in Springville to cleanup the leftovers of a failed nuclear fuel reprocessing center. Left a bunch of big black glass logs that could never be trucked to the underground storage in Yucca Flats because hey didn't want it there either.

Unfortunately, we're not close to any subduction zones. Assuming these are close enough to the surface to be useful, it would sound like a great idea.

I assume that Magma can be radioactive considering where it comes from and adding more by dumping the waste may not greatly increase the overall level due to dilution.

Launching it into the Sun would work too but too costly Would deep sea dumping be any less costly?

3. Down not across

Oh great... they haven't even finished with their war on terror yet, and now they might start war on subduction.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One less worry

That 18th Century earthquake in lisbon had really been buggin' me.

Anyhow, so how long before we can drive to Europe from America?

1. Elmer Phud

Re: One less worry

"Anyhow, so how long before we can drive to Europe from America?"

Atlantic Bridge?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Or Berring Strait bridge. The most difficult bit would actually be the roads either side of it to link it to the civilised world.

1. Stoneshop
          Holmes

Bering Strait Bridge

The most difficult bit would actually be the roads either side of it to link it to the civilised world.

On the west side it's just a bloody long distance; the eastern side is much more difficult as you have to cross Alaska before you can get to Canada.

2. Montreal Sean

If you can drive from Europe to America, that means the zombies can walk here!

Keep your European zombies, we have enough of our own here in government offices.

12. Fink-Nottle
    Alert

"A Portuguese scientist working in Australia now says .."

It's kinda worrying that he's moved to the other side of the planet ... what does he know that we don't ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's kinda worrying that he's moved to the other side of the planet .."

Last night's episode of the BBC "Rise of the Continents" was about Australia. How it parted company with Antarctica - leaving the latter at the South Pole cut off from warm seas to support its then lush vegetation.

Australia continues its drift northwards and is on target to crush Indonesia against India - and Japan against China. In the process its deserts will again become the lush vegetation that the fossil records capture.

1. Montreal Sean

"Australia continues its drift northwards..."

Further proof that Australians are just a bunch of ruffians!

Leave the continents alone. Bully!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BBC "Rise of the Continents"

The current BBC documentary series on plates tectonics is trying to educate the general public, or at least the subset that watches BBC Two or BBC Four. Very slow moving and full of flashy graphics and pretty pictures. It does contain some interesting long views of the way the continents have been formed, and re-formed - plus some of the scientific evidence behind the theories.

Reminds me of our "O" Level Geography teacher in the early 1960s. He told us that it was a coincidence that South America and Africa seemed to be complementary shapes. My memory is that he also said that a "new" theory called "plate tectonics" was not really viable.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: BBC "Rise of the Continents"

It's all a bit signature modern Horizon, 20 minutes of telly put on the rack to torture the innocent.

(damn, just had a 'Morticia Adams on the rack' moment.)

1. bigphil9009

Damn straight! The modern Horizon format makes me weep - a better example of style over substance it isn't possible to find.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The modern Horizon format makes me weep"

The last Horizon that I couldn't snooze through was at least a decade ago. That was the one about the human condition where cartilage turns to bone - especially if it is cut in an operation. Miss a second and you missed an important step in the development of the story.

The "Continents" program would have been much improved if the graphics had been less detailed and shown for longer so one could appreciate exactly what was happening. The content was interesting - but included too many irrelevant "human interest" scenes. That particular presenter's style puts me off - although in fairness that may have more to do with the programme's production team.

Science was interesting to us as kids for its own wonders - not for being dressed up with irrelevant bystanders' antics.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The modern Horizon format makes me weep - a better example of style over substance it isn't possible to find".

It's all perfectly logical once you realise that the BBC thinks all its viewers have IQ < 90. Oh, and also that numbers are toxic.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'That's bad news for Portugal and even for Britain, which Dr Duarte thinks will eventually become part of the subduction zone. '

Bad news? Bad news? Clearly the author isn't a geologist. This is amazing news - Cornwall is going to get volcanoes!

1. Elmer Phud

" Cornwall is going to get volcanoes!"

After it has sunk or before ?

and will they bugger up air traffic?

1. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

Cornwall is going to get mountains

Imagine jet-setters 50 million years from now. "Val d'Isere and Zermat are so dead these days. Penzance is bangin' though!"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Subduction doesn't mean the ocean is closing, only that some of the oceanic lithosphere has become cold enough and old enough to lose most of its bouyancy. The Atlantic will only be in trouble once its spreading ridge is subducted; a similar thing has happened the East Pacific Rise under the Western United States which is why the ground there is - stretchy.

The Atlantic is going to more closely resemble the Indian ocean which is still opening and doing a splendid job of (amongst other things) building the Himalayas, but there is active subduction of its crust at Makran under Pakistan, under the Indonesian Arc and in and around Vanuatu. There's also a region to the South of New Zealand, the Macquarie Fault Zone, where subduction appears to be starting, much like what is going on under Portugal right now.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As usual

Australia remains flat and boring. Sigh.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
  17. Identity
    Boffin

Can this be so?

"Newly-appearing subduction zones are, Dr Duarte added, to be expected as part of Earth's “super-continent cycle” that sees much of earth's land come together in very large continents..."

And here I thought the continents were moving apart since the days of Gondwanaland and Pangea...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can this be so?

"And here I thought the continents were moving apart since the days of Gondwanaland and Pangea..."

There is a limited pool of ocean in which they can move. The up-welling magma flows find weaknesses that split the larger pieces apart - and then they have to go somewhere. Like a multi-player game of pong - in very slow motion - they keep colliding with each other.

As someone above rightly said the BBC Horizon format is on a time rack - but the "Rise of the Continents" does contain some interesting nuggets about this phenomenon. If they had cut out the glossy images then they could have made a good single programme covering the meanderings of all the continents.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can this be so?

Pangaea was just the latest in a series of supercontinents. It was made by assembling Gondwana (pedant note: you don't need the 'land' since Gondwana means 'land of the Gonds') which is a borderline supercontinent of its own as well as Laurentia, Baltica and Siberia.

Before that there was Pannotia around the 0.6Gy mark which is associated with the Pan African Orogeny that created the modern African continent, that followed the surprisingly long-lived Rodinia (1.25-0.75Gy) that contained pretty much everything apart from the Kalahari and the Congo craton.

Prior to that things get a bit hazier because the magnetic records of rocks have largely been overprinted by later orogenies. The Columbia (Nuna) supercontinent around 1.8-1.5Gy is highly likely to have existed - odd place - eastern India docked to where California would be and Australia neighbours with Canada.

Further back there is Kenorland which seems to be associated with diamonds and iron formations between 2.7Gy and 2.0Gy, and the hazy Ur that work in South Africa and Australia suggests might date as far back as 3.6Gy. But at that point the geology is getting seriously buggered and whilst it is possible to work out the sort of processes that were going on (a mix of modern subduction and weird buckling of continents), it's almost impossible to relate the continental fragments to one another.

18. Bunbury
    Stop

Indian plate surely?

"collision of African and Eurasia has just about run its course, having already spawned the band of mountains from Gibraltar to the Himalayas"

Surely the African impact on Europe didn't have that much effect on the Himalayas? That was surely caused by the Indian plate barrelling up into the midrift of Eurasia like an over enthusiastic puppy into the crotch of a bishop?

Having chucked Africa and India into Eurasia those sticky mantle currents will presumably find another way to transfer their momentum to the surface scum. I suppose the action near Lisbon might be a case of crumpling as the Atlantic pushes the combined mass to the right while the opening of the Red Sea pushes Africa to the left.

On the other hand I seem to recall that there are a number of features that start down the road to being plate boundaries but never actually get there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Indian plate surely?

The African collision is responsible for everything from the Atlas Mountains through the Alps and Carpathians to the massive deformation of the Aegean Sea. Further East it is Arabia which is crunching into Europe along the Zagros. Until recently (say 30My) Arabia was part of Africa, but it has now become a separate plate by the emplacement of the Afar Mantle Plume under the Southern Red Sea where a new constructive margin has formed.

The Himalaya are the result of India whacking into Eurasia at 20cm pa (nice analogy of yours by the way).

Mantle currents don't seem to directly drive continental movements. Much more important are vertical displacements - such as dynamic uplift of continents over hot Mantle plumes which cause material to slide sideways towards lower elevations (such as is happening in the African Rift, the Western United States and Central China), and, at the other end of the process, the subduction of dense material into the Mantle which drags ocean crust after it.

19. jubtastic1
    Pint

If this is indeed true

Then we should proceed with my plan to move Great Britain to the safety of the Mediterranean post haste.

Stage 1: Build a new motorway carving a straight line from Lands end to john o groats.

Stage 2: load Scotland into dumper trucks, use the rubble to build a causeway into the sea at lands end.

Stage 3: Snake causeway around France and through the straights of Gibraltar consuming GB from the top down as we go.

Stage 4: create a new donut shaped landmass in the Mediterranean, effectively annexing the entire sea.

Stage 5: Relax on the beach for a job well done, txt 'told you so' to Norway as they sprout volcanos.

1. meanioni

Re: If this is indeed true

"Then we should proceed with my plan to move Great Britain to the safety of the Mediterranean post haste."

It seems a shame to bury all that beautiful scenery into the foundations of the causeway. I think we should move Slough and Crewe first then any town/city in which Katie Price or Simon Cowell live. We should then move onto the homes of any BMW/Audi drivers and Rupert Murdoch.

We can melt down windfarms to make pontoons and the hole left by the removal of Slough would become my first giant shark tank adjacent to my newly built mansion. Now all I need is a white pussy-cat....

2. Tom 7

results:

Stage 1: Big contract goes out to public tender. Friends of government win, Branson sues and wins only to discover that cancelling the contracts costs Britain ... Britain.

Again.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Stage 4: create a new donut shaped landmass in the Mediterranean..."

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

20. phil8192
    Coat

Not so fast ...

I'm not exactly worried enough to sit down and fasten my seat belt.

21. regorama
    Childcatcher

This is serious bowel-movement but...

Based on the comments here, I'd say; the British are responsible if anything.

22. Securitymoose

Is that Atlantis coming up again?

Only 30 mteres below the surface - pass me a bailing bucket and we will see!

23. promytius
    Facepalm

So why not...

WAIT the 20,000,000 years and THEN report it!

24. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Alert

TSUNAMI ALERT!

Where is the icon for Not Joking? The 1755 Lisbon quake caused a tsunami in which "great loss of life and property occurred upon the coasts of Cornwall". The new subduction zone is active and growing so the next quake could come along any time now. The UK (and presumably also France & Ireland) is at genuine risk of a serious tsunami.

This topic is closed for new posts.