back to article Drug gang hacks into Belgian seaport, cops seize TONNE of smack

Police in the Netherlands and Belgium have seized a tonne of cocaine, a tonne of heroin and a suitcase stuffed with €1.3m after uncovering a massive drug smuggling operation that used hackers to break into the systems of shipping companies. According to the Netherlands public prosecutor (statement here in Dutch), a Netherlands …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gerryg
    Trollface

they were shipping lines

but it was a smack down

1. Eponymous Cow Turd Silver badge
      Coat

Re: they were shipping lines

At least the cops didn't make a hash of it

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    WTF?

Life imitating art...

Isn't this similar in premise to season two of The Wire?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Life imitating art...

Spooky isn't it. I am surprised they didn't mention that in the article.

*sarcasm face*

3. Don Jefe
    Happy

Walloons

For some reason I can't get the picture of a bunch of coked up Walloons running about in traditional smock-frocks waving halberds at shadows and screaming at cats out of my head.

1. nsld
      Happy

Re: Walloons

Can you let me know where you get your gear, that sounds like an impressive trip.

Smiley face, a boiler suit and some glowsticks!

2. A J Stiles
      FAIL

Except that Antwerp is in Flanders .....

1. Don Jefe
        Happy

And cocaine comes from Bolivia (at least the European stuff), neither are 'supposed' to be there :)

4. Crisp
    Coat

I hate people who think it's clever to take drugs

Like the police, customs officials, etc

(Stolen from Jack Dee)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free marketeers ahoy

Cue the drug-addled Libertarian posts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Free marketeers ahoy

.. and proud of it. Liberty is allowing other people to do stuff you don't approve of, yet which causes you no harm. As a fundamental principle, consenting adults in private can do whatever they like. OK, conspiracy to harm others is an exception, there are probably others.

2. Graham Marsden
      Boffin

@AC "drug-addled Libertarian posts" was Re: Free marketeers ahoy

I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't take drugs. I have no interest in the recreational use of substances that alter my perception etc and I am most certainly not "drug addled" in any way.

But if someone else wants to take these substances, why should they not be allowed to? More people die from tobacco related illnesses and accidents caused by drunk drivers than from illegal drugs. Legal drugs would, as has been pointed out many a time, allow the control of quality *and* permit Governments to raise tax on them, rather than pissing away huge amounts of money trying, as they have been for the last several decades to win an unwinnable "war on drugs".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Walloons?

In Antwerp? Unlikely.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who is going to save us from this Google Malware?

"The hackers obtained access at two container terminals by using spear phishing and malware attacks directed at port authority workers and shipping companies, before changing the location and the delivery times of containers that had the drugs in them, according to the public prosecutor." link

8. John Gamble

Life and Fiction

"The whole scheme, eerily similar to the set-up of the plot of season 2 of The Wire, ..."

Also the Donald Westlake novel, "Dancing Aztecs" (although what's being smuggled is a valuable artifact, and the scheme is set before pervasive use of computers). Now I need to check out "The Wire", which gets recommended a lot and which I still haven't seen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like