back to article CRINGE! Home Office wants to know whether your boss BEATS YOU

Tech suppliers wading through the government's latest bizarre 150-page online questionnaire are asking if the folks in the public sector are smoking something – other than taxpayers' money, anyway. The Supplier Information Database (SID) for Government is designed to give buyers across public sector access to information on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. knarf
    Thumb Down

offshore to iphone manufacturer???

Maybe they are they going to offshore everything cos its cheap to china to some old iphone manufacturer?

Then blast ex-workers on being lazy and unemployed. Because unemployment is choice not a right remember.

2. Graham Marsden
    Alert

"Does your organisation use any form of corporal punishment?"

I could recommend a couple of suppliers, but I'm sure those in power have their own chosen providers already...

3. qwertyuiop
    WTF?

Held prisoner at work?

Ummm... "Are employees within your organisation free to leave the workplace after work?" isn't a totally ludicrous question.

Last year the government announced that it wanted to increase the amount of paid work prisoners did whilst serving their sentences - see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/plan-for-cheap-prison-work-may-cost-thousands-of-jobs-7815140.html. Huge benefits for the employer becuase they can pay considerably less than minimum wage.

1. Rikkeh

Re: Held prisoner at work?

There's also the issue of oil rigs, mines and similar, where it's very difficult to allow the employee to leave safely, whether or not their shift is over.

There's a very old Court case (from the 1910s) where someone quit on the spot while at the bottom of a mine shaft (it was never revealed why he waited until he was hundreds of metres underground to decide that this wasn't the line of work for him). Essentially, he accused his employers of illegally detaining him until the end of the shift (which was the earliest time the lifts became free for people rather than coal). Long story short, he failed as there was a good enough reason to keep him down there for the day.

4. smudge
    Unhappy

Just testing the waters

Its real purpose is to research more ways of screwing the workers and lining the fat cats' pockets.

Expect a commitment to re-introduce slavery to be prominent in the Conservatives' 2015 election manifesto.

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Flame

Oh FFS !

And we pay taxes for this ?

6. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

What a silly question!

"Are employees within your organisation free to leave the workplace after work?"

Of course, they are! If they can undo the chains linking them to their desks, that is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a silly question!

@Wladimir

It's not such a silly question if you are an east-european fruit picker, living in a communal hut and unable to leave the farm in the evening because you don't earn enough to pay for a taxi into town and back, even occasionally.

2. mhoulden

Re: What a silly question!

They may not be physically prevented from doing so, but very long hours are expected at some places. Places don't offer on-site facilities like laundries, evening classes or even beds out of the goodness of their hearts. Why not do all that stuff at home? Simple: you won't be going home until it's too late to do much there.

7. Buzzword

Imagine if this strategy was rolled out across government. The police could survey members of the public, asking if they have committed any crimes recently. Makes sense, since we can always trust the bad 'uns to incriminate themselves.

8. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Actually

This is a clear example showing why democracy works - different governments come and go but the madness within the bowels of civil service remains unchanged.

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Some good (awkward) questions here

for example

and if they required employees to put down a monetary deposit with the company when they joined.

I am sure that a few well known Indian Companies could not answer this with a NO. At least one uses this to keep their employees from leaving mid-contract.

10. Chris Miller

As Dean Acheson wisely observed: "A memorandum is written not to inform the reader but to protect the writer." The same goes double for RFIs.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not quite so silly as it seems

"employees to put down a monetary deposit with the company when they joined"

This http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/05/18/ryanair-staff-exploited-mp-luciana-berger/ and similar articles indicate that in effect some staff do have to, and it's probably non-refundable, so the term deposit might be generous.

I am employed by an organisation that I won't identify (and I'm being AC here to be extra cautious), who supply me with PPE clothing that has the correct CE markings. I know and they know (and they know that I know that they know etc etc,) that the product does not actually meet the specs but because it's got the label on it from the supplier, they can pay £80 rather than £500 and tick the box. I've paid for my own because I want the training that the role gives, but I can't say I'm happy about it, however alternatives are limited.

Whilst the survey woulnd't get anything other than the official line, and so wouldn't uncover my example, this kind of practice does go on.

1. BrownishMonstr

Re: Not quite so silly as it seems

Come on, tell us the name of the company. You've got us all interested. We could make a game out of it, yeah...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not quite so silly as it seems

Not to defend Ryanair, or the "contractors" they use (set up for the sole purpose of providing Ryanair with warm bodies), but at least they are *very* upfront about their employment conditions well before you decide to join. Some people can put up with it and, for cockpit crew, the pay is not all that bad--cabin crew on the other hand have to rely on their sales commission to make a decent living, and so most treat it as a stepping stone to get into a more traditional airline (lots of ex-RYR applying for Emirates, Qatar Airways, and the like).

Don't know about cabin crew, but most First Officers have to *pay* (about £200 IIRC, covers the sim ride) to get an interview. Kind of sets the tone for what comes next but as I say, people who make the cut and are able to put up with the rather dry work atmosphere can make a decent living when it's all said and done. Again, cabin crew is a different story when it comes to the bottom line.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The questions might seem silly, although maybe less so if you have been locked in a fire trap factory for 16 hours and beaten for missing production targets, but might help avoid the Goobucks Defence.

Govt: 'You are supplying us with widgets' made by slaves'

Goobucks; 'There is nothing in the contract prohibiting slave labour, and we owe it to our shareholders to maximise profit'

Govt: 'Ah but you lied in the tender process - we won't give you any more contracts'

I know the latter won't ever happen, as the next line is:

Goobucks: 'Why don't you join us as an advisor, so we can use your expertise to avoid this happening again?'

Govt: 'Thank you - cash will do nicely!'

1. Tom Wood

Lying on the form

Indeed. I've always assumed the crime of "lying on official paperwork" was easier to prove/prosecute someone for/carried a more severe penalty than the crimes they ask you about on offical paperwork. For example, the questions in the ESTA form you need to complete to enter the US under the visa waiver program include "are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?" and "Have you ever been or are you now involved in... terrorist activities".

I seriously doubt many criminals or terrorists tick "yes".

1. Don Jefe

Re: Lying on the form

When my wife was applying for her US Citizenship she was sworn in then asked to fill out forms with questions like 'Do you have experience or training building bombs or explosive devices' and 'are you here on the behalf of another country or military to gather information about the US, its government or people'.

I laughed at all that and asked the agent who would answer 'yes' and he said it was because it pretty much guaranteed a successful prosecution if they discovered you had lied on the form while under oath.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The simple answer will be that someone will have organised a campaign that got the Government to agree not to award contracts to companies that use corporal punishment or require employees to stay in a company compound (or who use overseas sub-contractors who do this) and they are now protecting themselves so that when some investigative reporter comes up with a story of people being held captive and beaten while working on a contract that originates with the Government then they can turn round and say "look, we asked the lead contractor to confirm this didn't go on but we didn't know they were lying to us"

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Home Office, could you just use those NSA snooping powers of yours?

Oh, wait, you probably have.

15. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Headmaster

It's only ridiculous....

When there are no companies and businesses who would do such things, and sadly there are some who would and do.

Migrant workers can often find themselves trapped through employers threatening violence and exploiting lack of knowledge of worker's rights. It may be more common for manual labour but that doesn't mean it never happens in the IT and wider business world. Respectable businesses may well be running sweatshops and labour camps abroad if not here.

It seems ridiculous to ask but if they did not, and it was found such things were being done, they'd be hauled over the coals for having not asked. This way they have a 'we tried and they lied' defence to not doing all they could have.

1. qwertyuiop

Re: It's only ridiculous....

Situations like this for example - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9392950/Traveller-family-guilty-of-forcing-homeless-men-into-slavery.html

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can honestly say

I've witnessed or have heard statements from people who have witnessed all of this first hand.

When working for a steel construction company, a welder with a temporary contract was told he had to put down a deposit for the welding goggles. He never got his money back because they claimed he damaged the goggles though it was just normal wear.

I heard, but didn't witness, the owner hit one of the workers there. The guy quit and this meant he wasn't allowed any unemployment benefits for 2 months.

Overtime was not always voluntarily when the job needed to be finished the same day. A foremen from the erection crew was arrested by the police because the boss reported his company car as being stolen when he left the construction site after a full days work when the boss insisted he should work overtime.

My brother is driving a 50 ton mobile crane and last week he told me he bought his own blind spot mirror because the company failed, after repeated requests, to provide one, although they are required by law.

I have been working in Belgium for nearly 30 year. Yes, that's in Europe.

There is something rotten in this continent people. With the collapse of communism, our elite no longer have to play nice and can concentrate on the money grabbing. The working guy and gall, and that is blue & white collar, will be put in his/her place. That battle is being fought in Greece and in Spain and when they are victorious there, they're coming after us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

* 30 YEARS

When there is more than one of something we often show it by putting a letter 's' on the end.

17. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Alert

Could be worse

It could be "capital" punishment...

18. Tegne
    Big Brother

Nothing unusual here

My mother recalled that she had to have an interview by some German representatives from Adidas when the company she worked for started doing work for the Olympic games. She said the questions were ridiculous (iirc from what she said one of them even may have been do your employers beat you) but it was clear that they were part of a global questionnaire with sections that were clearly aimed at countries like China, India and other developing countries with a less than stellar history of human rights.

19. William Boyle

Beats me at what?

Bridge, poker, D&D?

20. snowweb

Searching for Slave Labour

Looks like they are trying to source 'Slave Labour'. I don't think they are trying to prevent it. Probably looking in the wrong place though. They'll find it faster in China (or just ask Apple or GAP for their supplier lists)

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just forward it

To foxconn

22. Herkybird

HaHa, perhaps there should be a new comedy series on the BBC. "Public Sector"...obviously the Public Sector cutbacks are insufficient if this is all they can come up with. How about questionaires on reducing childbirth rates, that might be more constructive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like