back to article Eurogeddon? Pah. UK banks are more terrified of hackers - big banker

Hacking attacks present a bigger risk to the operation of UK banks than problems caused by the ongoing eurozone crisis, according to a senior Bank of England director. Andrew Haldane, the BoE's director of financial stability, told parliament's Treasury Select Committee that representatives of Britain's top banks are telling …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. taxman
    Holmes

I would like to think that the Banks are spending some of their 'hard earned' cash (of mine) on protecting their 'crown jewels' by having an agreement in place with the likes of Prolexic, Akamai etc to negate DDoS and 'defence in depth' for APTs/hacks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a wunch ..

Bugger hackers, the biggest risk to the operation of banks are the fucking bankers themselves.

1. nichomach
      Thumb Up

Re: What a wunch ..

This would be an example of the Chewhacker defence - "Never mind the incompetent bankers, look at the hacker! Look at the evil hacker!"

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

"Banks are really IT companies that just happen to do banking"

this was stated last year, after the NatWest fiasco. Was anyone listening ?

1. Richard Jones 1

Re: "Banks are really IT companies that just happen to do banking"

The pity is that for too long they did both rather too badly.

They make the old NCB, (National Coal Board) look almost OK, (they were a pension fund with a few mineral extraction operations).

4. The BigYin

I thought they'd mostly fear...

...actual regulation and the closing to tax evasion loopholes.

Oh wait...Tory and Labour....not going to happen.

5. NormansLament
    FAIL

EADON you are the class fool.

6. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    FAIL

Might help

if the bank did'nt cut their IT departments to the bone, then offshore the rest

Then a simple upgrade to a key system would'nt bring the whole system to a crashing halt when someone pressed the abort button

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Banks are cheap dates....

None I've ever banked with and that's in several countries, have ever offered a range of security options depending on your preference for robustness. I'd be happy to use a Dongle-Token and an LCD-Token. But oh no! Instead my main bank's crappy system is no longer even asking me for the two-factor security challenge question anymore! Why is that? I asked them but they never reply. My guess is, they are using 'Super-Cookies; Which of course is great if you're also using public computers travelling. Great security!

8. John Hughes
    WTF?

Collapsing currency?

What collapsing currency?

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=USD&view=5Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=5Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=JPY&view=5Y

Sorry, just can't see any collapse there.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Collapsing currency?

You are looking in the wrong place. Banks do not invest money in currency, they invest in bonds, equities etc. Now check how Greek, Italian, Spanish etc. bonds fared in last 5 years. Yes of course there is currency element to risk of offshore investment but, as you noted, that haven't quite played yet.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Collapsing currency?

"Banks do not invest money in currency"

I don't think you understand the Forex market at all then.

Banks buy and sell currencies all day long, in fact you could almost say that they were 'market makers'.

No-one invests in currency unless you're taking a long position in the carry trade. You buy low and sell high, it's as simple as that.

9. RainForestGuppy

Comedy is sometimes so true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9ptA3Ya9E

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like