back to article Vodafone Oz launches '100 Mbps' 4G service

Vodafone Hutchison Australia is putting its newly-secured debt funding to work, becoming the last of Australia's three mobile carriers to launch 4G services. The carrier says its two blocks of contiguous 20 MHz spectrum mean it's able to offer speeds reaching 100 Mbps (presuming that there aren't too many other users in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. goldcd

I'll go first - what's the point of LTE?

I mean I know from the operators point of view - it's a more more elegant and efficient system - but does anybody actually need this much bandwidth on their phone?

3G does me just fine for my mail, spotify and the odd bit of video streaming (and for this I'm usually using wifi) - what service do we have that actually requires LTE?

And, if this service did exist, it would be so massively expensive due to the operators retaining their old charges.

I can see it being extremely useful to provide pockets of 'internet' to homes in areas without cable/decent quality copper, but that's about it.

1. frank ly

Re: I'll go first - what's the point of LTE?

However, if an area doesn't have decent quality fibre/cable, then the telcos have probably decided it's not worth laying it to that area. So why should a mobile company built a mast there and run backhaul to it?

I'd agree that high mobile data rates are not much use to most people under the present data charging tariffs.

2. Andys^

LTE has lower latency, and reconnects faster after idling compared to HSPA. This makes it more better for VoIP and other interactive stuff.

So for me at least, it is not about the bandwidth (though more bandwidth has the nice side effect of increased capacity for a given cell)

3. RealFred

That might be fine if the vendor had good coverage, but Vodfones coverage is crap, even in capital cities.

2. marky_boi
    FAIL

lipstick on a pig

Like slapping lipstick on a pig. Pointless if there is no customers.

3. RealFred

Vodafone should just die already

Moved all business services away from Vodafone a few years ago. Their service is crap, their corporate billing system is crap and this new service will be like putting lipstick and a dress on a pig

4. Adam 1
    Stop

"presuming that there aren't too many other users in the cell"

The way Vodafone has been going recently, it is quite plausible that there wont be too many other users in the cell..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like