back to article Wanna be a ROBOT OVERLORD? Boffins pave way with mind-controlled cursor

Scientists have implanted electrodes in the brains of seven epileptic people in a bid to understand how humans learn new skills. They wanted to see what happened when people learned to use a device called a brain-computer interface, which allows them to interact with computers simply by thinking. This revolutionary technology …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Well that solves a problem!

...feed herself chocolate using a mind-controlled robot arm.

This overcomes a pressing US issue. The upper limit on fatbastardry caused by being unable to fold your arms far enough to reach your gob with your own hands anymore.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Well that solves a problem!

Indeed the Judge Dredd Fatties are upon us!

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Well that solves a problem!

I was more imagining the initial learning cycle which seems to contain a degree of Darwinism. It was either learning fine motor control quick enough to handle feeding or die due to blunt force trauma of an overreaching robotic arm..

2. Spoonsinger

" implanted electrodes in the brains of seven epileptic people"

McCoy: What is this, the Dark Ages?

3. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

It's about time...

... Cyberpunk was doing this back in the 1980s!

--- Jacking out ---

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Tom 35

mind-controlled cursor

They dropped a brick on their foot?

1. Charlie van Becelaere

Re: mind-controlled cursor

What, me drop a great heavy lump of coal on my foot?

You must be out of your ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

epileptic?

u sure u got that right? u sure not paraplegic or similar?

7. RcR
    Thumb Up

Brain electrode implant

I want one of these implanted to tickle my amygdala- pleasure centers that reward on when you ingest a molecule such as sugar, chocolate, cocaine, heroin- you get the picture. Then I will power it up and turn myself into a null wave transmitter...

8. Steven Roper

Wow, Michael Chrichton was a prophet.

Way back in the 70s, I read a book by Chrichton titled The Terminal Man, which describes exactly this scenario. In Chrichton's story, a man, Harold Benson, suffering from what was then called temporal-lobe epilepsy is fitted with a computer controlled implant designed to trigger his pleasure centres in order to arrest the onset of epileptic seizures - exactly as described in this article.

In the book, although the implant is designed to trigger only when it detects a seizure, Benson quickly works out how to deliberately induce seizures in order to experience the burst of pleasure the implant generates. As a result of the continuous seizure state, he enters a psychotic mindset in which he believes machines have taken over the world, that everyone around him is now a machine, and embarks on a horrifically murderous rampage to free the world of his perceived machine dominance.

It's incredibly spooky to see how a novel that grabbed my imagination back in the 70s is actually coming true. The Terminal Man now joins 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact in my library of sci-fi futures whose time I'm now living in. Makes me feel like a time traveller!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like