back to article Google gobbles map app Waze

Google has acquired crowd-sourced map app Waze, and the company behind it. The acquisition gives Google a map app that uses data generated by some 50 million or so users to provide real-time traffic updates and accurate directions even when you drive off the beaten path. "We are excited about the prospect of working with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gashead

Just downloaded the Android app, you can log in with a Facebook account but not a Google one!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Google only released their 3rd party sign in a few weeks back. Expect that to be fixed soon

2. Shades

Expect...

...Google will strip the bits they need, slowly hobble the app and users quickly leaving because they don't want to do the donkey work for a company the size of Google.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Expect...

yup I can imagine it will be enhanced with G+ which will be a good thing. I use it lightly but hate the fact you can only login with FB - it will be much better once they rip that out and replace it with Gooogle.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

waste

just went to www.waze.com/livemap and got "The Waze Server has returned an error for this operation". Expensive error message generator

4. Khaptain Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Shame - Waze was OK

I presume that this will now become yet another method of tracking that Google(Prism, NSA, FBI etc) can use. It's unfortunate because Waze was pretty good for providing live radar position information ( which is not legal in France).

Sometimes I wish that Google would simply collapse in order that the internet and the associated companies return to a "familly" size. These MegaCorporation bring advances, that they choose to bring, but at the same time seem to stifle everything else.

1. Don Jefe
      Meh

Re: Shame - Waze was OK

Such has it always been unfortunately.

The whole 'global' mindset is, as you say, good for some things, but there is no long term option that includes variety and choice. Things have already gotten so large that entire governments are held in thrall to massive commercial interests and I don't believe it can be stopped. Oh well. Get in and try and make your riches now I guess.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Facepalm

"data generated by some 50 million or so users to provide real-time traffic updates"

50 million... yeah, that's about the number of assholes on the road here that are texting and looking at their phone when they should be paying attention to their driving.

So I assume this is mining aggregated GPS position/velocity information from lots 'o people? Kind of like an anonymous Google Latitude of the masses? And Google couldn't write this in-house?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: "data generated by some 50 million or so users to provide real-time traffic updates"

They could but it only works because of a willing user-base. Waze already has that so if they carry on, the rest of us can benefit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like