back to article Amazon confirms CIA spook cloud contract

Amazon Web Services has confirmed to The Register that it is set to build a massive cloud for the CIA. IBM, however, is still in the running, after the company's protest at the choice of Amazon was recognized by the US Government Accountability Office. In a statement emailed to The Reg late on Friday, Amazon Web Services …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors
    Big Brother

Well at least the CIA are open about it

As opposed to the FBI/NSA who already have complete access to everything in the AWS cloud anyway and then deny it and use a secret 'court' to threaten to jail anyone who talks about it

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not only

Not only can they spy on us, but they can buy stuff online while they do it!

Can they claim it on expenses?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not only

The Russians can sell their fighter planes and aircraft carriers online, and save USA a bundle.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Not only

Not only can they spy on us, but they can buy stuff online while they do it!

And they get Amazon's recommendation system.

"Spooks who spied on Register users also spied on: ..."

2. Don Jefe
    Joke

Support

You've got to spend about $600M in order to get good support with AWS. The actual services are probably $15M.

3. tentimes
    FAIL

We've got Terry Taliban in our si.... uh no, it's down again :(

I am a developer and wouldn't touch AWS after doing a years research on several providers. AWS had at least 6 serious outages last year, for hours at a time, taking Heroku and Netflix with it. On one of those occasions (xmas eve for several hours) it was something along the lines of one of Amazon's minimum wage drones pulled the plug on something.

You would think that the I of CIA would point them somewhere else... I'm using 3 separate providers, all with substantially better uptime than Amazon. And I didn't have teams of analysts help me with the decision.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: We've got Terry Taliban in our si.... uh no, it's down again :(

Because this thing will be running on the cloud for non-governmental rubes which may be up or down, instead of a special bespoke solution for the glorious Inner Party Master Race?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: instead of a special bespoke solution

We've got one of those special bespoke solutions for the agency where I work. Yeah, it's GMail instead of AWS, but guess what? Yeah, when the public GMail accounts are down, so are the government ones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Guess those 3 separate providers would not include Azure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Azure is one of the best IAAS options on the market at the moment....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1 basket please.

Well, I just have to say that I believe I.B.M. has many, many, many skeletons in their closest with the government's name on it, so shouldn't the government just stick with what they know that works instead of sprinkling it around?

Of course being the company name is "Amazon", this does help with projects pertaining to "Guerrilla Warfare". Shoot, you can even work the name of the CIA's cloud to be "Mist", running on "Jungle Servers". (I went too far with that)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: (I went too far with that)

If you had stopped at Rain Forest servers, it would have been just perfect

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Saves time..

That will be a massive time saver. First of all, they already have a connection (it's one of the 3 letter agencies so no doubt there is a cable labeled "FISA" somewhere already), and if they just give them open access to what their clients are using it saves the pesky stage where they have to notify a provider that they want access - they're already in!

/sarcasm

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intelligence. Cloud computing.

Oxymoron.

7. Giddy Going

Will this lead to compromised Privacy?

Now the CIA can look at collecting data from the bookseller to the AWS and correlate on Intelligence... Will this be damning on individual's privacy??

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like