back to article Pirate Bay Warg accused of hacking international police database

Pirate Bay co-founder Gottfrid Svartholm Warg has been named as a suspect in the hacking of a European database containing data about wanted criminal suspects and missing people. According to Denmark's justice minister, two hackers are alleged to have accessed "some information" from the Schengen Information System, a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My main concern here is

Why are these systems managed by an american company. I mean considering how they want to monetize all the data or use it to make everyone feel safe and secure until they storm in and take them away I'd say having something more local or even internal would possibly be a better approach?

1. btrower

Re: My main concern here is

Re: "...make everyone feel safe and secure until they storm in and take them away..."

It concerns me that 'serious' crime has come to include things like copyright infringement. I am very suspicious of 'official' databases like this. We need *something* to make sure that truly dangerous criminals that would harm people do not get too far. However, the fact that these databases contain non-violent criminals is worrisome. It is also a concern that this aids and abets an already overreaching state.

The U.S. government has been partially wiretapping *all* of its citizens, it would seem. How far will we let this go before we stop it?

1. Superavi
        Big Brother

Re: My main concern here is

There is no more 'we', all of your data are belong to us!

2. tentimes
    WTF?

Doh

And there I was trying to figure out what internet acronym "WARG" alluded to...

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Doh

I'm still stuck on ' about four million pieces of data'

1. Danny 14

'about four million pieces of data'

he managed to get the index id's.

2. Lars Silver badge
      Joke

High tech prisons in Sweden that give you all the facilities to hack around the world. Perhaps Assange should move from the Ecuador embassy to Sweden for a better life.

3. Eguro

A little clarification!

The databases that were hacked in Denmark were databases concerning such things as driver's licenses and CPR-number (The "Centrale Personregister" - I don't think I need to translate that?). Obviously you need a database for driver's licenses, or how will you know if one is a fake?

As for CPR numbers. I'm not certain as to how large an extent other countries use a system like it. But everyone living in Denmark (even my foreign student friends) get one.

It was created in 1968 (based on registries dating back to 1924) and the registry contains information about: Name, Address, Registry of Birth, Citizenship status, whether or not you are part of the Danish Folkekirke (People Church - the church stated in the constitution to be the official church of Denmark), information about your kin, and marital status. Not sure what it registers about the foreigners getting one.

It's main purpose is to avoid fraud and to facilitate government services. The main thing it is used for - I would say - is going to the doctor. When you go to a doctor, the doctor gets paid by the government. So to ensure there's no fraud patients sign using their CPR-numbers as well. It is also to some extent used (I say this because it is primarily used as people log-in name) in the more or less nationwide online log-in system "NemID", which almost everyone in the country has (includiing the foreign students I mentioned).

Now I know that to some this could seem like some sort of crazy Orwellian nightmare. And hell it might be - but we trust our government... to some extent. And while there are certainly cases of asinine behaviour, that trust still exists. And like I said the purpose is to ensure that services are provided, that no services that shouldn't be provided are provided, and that you are able to be accurately identified if the need arises.

Perhaps the point of the hack was to get in and find all the horrible yummy details that the government had pasted onto the numbers, but if that was the case I would suspect a leak to have already existed - because as far as I can tell the hack has been going on for a while.*

As for CSC being the ones to safeguard the data. I trust that the servers are located in Denmark, and that therefore the US government cannot PATRIOT those data - because I do _not_ trust the US government. Although I would prefer that a new company be found. Perhaps one that hasn't been hacked once already? Guess we could argue that they're experienced now, but I would argue that perhaps the hack took place because they were incompetent.

*"after the revelation that hackers, for several months, have been able to access registries at Rigspolitiet [the police], where access has been possible to among other things CPR-numbers"

http://politiken.dk/tjek/digitalt/internet/ECE1989749/datatilsynet-hackerangreb-paa-cpr-register-er-meget-alvorligt/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone else seen what Warg looks like:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Gottfrid-Svartholm-Warg-the-pirate-bay.jpg

And immediately thought of that Arnie line from Predator?

"You're vun ugly muvva phucker"

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

that's ok

you're so ugly you have to wear a mask ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Sounds like a frame-up ...

"Pirate Bay co-founder Gottfrid Svartholm Warg has been named as a suspect in the hacking of a European database containing data about wanted criminal suspects and missing people".

So what we have here is Svartholm being extradited from Cambodia and then re-extradited to Denmark, neither of which has an extradition treaty with Cambodia.

"Sweden grants 59.4 mln USD aid to Cambodia for social development"

So basically the Cambodian gov kidnapped Svartholm for a $59 million dollar bribe.

"Under Danish privacy laws, the police are not allowed to officially name the suspects. But speaking to the Associated Press, a government source was quoted as saying one of the suspects was the Pirate Bay old hand".

To be on the safe side, lets trash his reputation in the media, before going to court ...

1. Danny 14
      Stop

Re: Sounds like a frame-up ...

I thought that was how business worked. Hey cambodia, want a shiny new hospital/mansion? Here ya go. Mind you, we could do with helping our neighbours out; any chance of an accompanied free flight for "one of our mates" hiding in your country?

Just good business.

6. Ole Juul

Waste of time

Prosecuting these cases costs a lot of money, doesn't deter future hacks, and doesn't solve the problem. Instead, how about they spend all that money on securing their database?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Waste of time

Agreed - just let criminals get of without consequences. That's sure to deter future crime!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh boy

Off to prison again for this dummy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like