back to article Boffins build gesture recognition using WiFi

Skip the sensors, skip the cameras: if you watch the signals closely enough, you can build gesture recognition using only WiFi signals. That's what's just emerged from the University of Washington, where computer scientists say their WiSee technology can accurately recognise 94 percent of gestures from a sample of 900. They …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ratfox
    Angel

Mandatory

... but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program.

2. harmjschoonhoven
    FAIL

Two weak spots

1)

"You always perform a startup sequence of gestures to get into the control system before sending the real gesture commands. The startup squence (sic) could be relatively long so false positives become rare cases. Such a startup sequence can also serve as your personal password."

There is no way to see you entered the RIGHT startup sequence before you send the commands, in particular if you are not in the same room as the WiSee enabled Wi-Fi router.

2)

"WiSee technology uses multiple antennas to focus on one user to detect the person's gesture."

There is no way to track a person.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: Two weak spots

Um... yes there is. It's called Radar and it's over 100 years old. Use of radio waves to track objects? What does a router emit? Oh look there's your answer!

1. harmjschoonhoven

Re: Two weak spots

@Graham Dawson

Please, do not compare the WiSee technology, impressive as it is, with a modern radar system like that of the S-300.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_%28missile%29

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Start up gesture sequence...

I wonder if the start up gesture sequence is configurable....

"OK, what do I have to do to get its attention?"

"Pretty simple, really: it's just a jump to the left, then a step to the right...."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reg video still doesn't work in chrome

Anyone have a youtube link?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Reg video still doesn't work in chrome

Yes it does, and always has done for me.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Reg video still doesn't work in chrome

Depends what you mean by doesn't work. In both IE and Chrome I can see the video window, I can click on the play button and then all I see is the swirly animated gif that looks as though the video is being downloaded but it never arrives.

Or don't you see anything at all ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Khaptain (Re: Reg video still doesn't work in chrome)

Same here.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Khaptain (Reg video still doesn't work in chrome)

Aha! Found the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: @Khaptain (Reg video still doesn't work in chrome)

Videos often stop working when Chrome gets out of date with the newest version, not sure if that's due to technical reasons or Chrome deliberately breaking so I'll update.

4. Arachnoid
    Holmes

Spying

So we need a wifi absorbent material made for new clothes to prevent tracking

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Spying

You may be interested in my pattern for brillo-pad underwear?

1. frank ly

Re: Spying

I tried wearing some of those. They're very good for getting rid of any annoying skin conditions.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

CS doctoral candidate invents phased array doppler radar.

Cutting edge stuff.

In the 1940s.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: CS doctoral candidate invents phased array doppler radar.

Try "CS doctoral candidate builds phased array doppler radar capable of tracking and identifying small movements of multiple targets from consumer-grade electronics already widely available in homes, for consumer use". That's rather a different story, and merits attention, even if (like me) you have no personal interest in gesture control of home appliances. (If I wanted to control my entertainment system by waving my hands about, I'd be an orchestra conductor.)

6. Anonymous IV
    Thumb Down

Why would one ever want to do this?

We have enough annoyance leaping up and down to trigger the motion-activated lights when it's dark at work.

"Gesture recognition using WiFi" looks too much like a solution looking for a problem.

[/luddite]

7. Mevi
    Meh

Passive Radar

It reminds me of passive radar, in that it uses the interractions of an object with radio waves of other systems.

Personally, I feel a bit of a knob interacting with tech by waving my arms and speaking loudly and clearly to it..... It's all a bit like ordering food at a restaurant when away on holiday. What is wrong with keyboard shortcuts?

8. Shasta McNasty
    Coat

Security?

Could this be used to replace passwords with interpretive dance?

It would be interesting to see an office full of people strutting their funky stuff every morning when attempting to login.

1. Crisp

Re: Security?

Your default password will be the ancient dance of my ancestors.

It goes: Aga do do do, push pineapple, shake the tree.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Security?

Marginally less terrible than that fucking birdy song.

9. Purlieu

Gesture

Is "gesture" what used to be know as "movement" last year

10. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Why bother?

Is this an effort to replace inertial sensors? They already do this and do it well. Plus, they do not rely on outside signals to work. There might be a problem in microgravity environments, but if you happen to be in one of those, perhaps you should fork over the cash to have a Microsoft Connect brought up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like