back to article Laser designated step'n'fetch wrinkle-robutler shown

When speaking of cutting-edge robotic systems directed to their target using a dot from a laser designator, one is usually talking about a smart bomb or some other frightful modern day engine of death. But, as so often, this deadly tech sword has now been beaten into a ploughshare - or as we have here, an elderly person's butler …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr Chris

Excellent potential...

Top stuff. We can now all look forward to stories of infirm wrinklies accidentally lighting up their own foot with their Laser Designator O' Helpfulness, and being savagely tipped over by the pachydermal robot monster attempting to pass them their own appendage.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pets

might be a problem, my cat goes mad chasing laser dots.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Other uses...

How about playing fetch the cat with it, I'm sure that won't end up in tears (of laughter when a stressed out moggy launches itself at somebody's head). Especially with the automated looking for a face feature.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

It's only a matter of time

Before some poor lonely old buffer ends up in the dock after being caught shagging one?

If it can happen to bicycles...

5. WhatWasThat?
    Pirate

Defender of freedom - Grab-O-Bot

I cannot wait until these are ubitquitous...

SWAT stages a raid on a normal looking suburban house, obviously the nefarious headsquarters of a filesharer of the current sub-grade pop "music", truly a Terrorist(tm) plot to overthrow our Democratic Copyright Freedom(c). Four armed men in classic black outfit and bodyarmor stand ready with weapons at their sides.

They bust in the door, sweeping the room... and the forward guys get grabbed in the @ss by the elderly home-owner's helpful robot(s) every time a laser sight sweeps by. Hilarity ensues.

I would p*ss my pants to see that on COPS - is it CONS(TABLES)over there? :)

6. Edward Rose

Scutters?

Lister and thermometers spring to mind.

7. Hans Mustermann
    Thumb Up

Better yet

Better yet, what happens if you deliberately point the pointer at someone's foot? Or better yet, at their crotch?

Forget the old people, I wants one.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Laser Pointer

Perhaps it should be referred to a a lazy pointer.

9. Niall

Robot Hair Cut

It could use the Suck-Cut (TM) from Wayne's World!

"It's sucking my will to live!"

"Boy, that sure does suck..."

Personally, wouldn't want my hair cut by a robot. Where's the banter there, however, I welcome our new pachydermal overlords.

10. Wyrmhole

pewpew

Seriously though, how do they expect an elderly person to keep a laser beam steady? Especially at a distance it can be hard enough without being elderly.

11. J-Wick
    Black Helicopters

IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER...

Or is this more relevant to the deathray jumbo story..?

BH cos it kinda looks like the laser warning sign...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Fun at the nursing home

I can just see some randy guy at a nursing home pointing the laser at the arse of a nurse.

But seriously, do elderly people want robot helpers, or do they want people helpers?

This topic is closed for new posts.