back to article 'Extremely sophisticated' Apple settles watery iDevice lawsuit

Apple has reached a settlement with iPhone and iPod touch owners who claimed that Cupertino unfairly denied them warranty coverage when their iDevice's moisture sensor indicated water damage. "Class Counsel and Plaintiffs ... are pleased to report that, after extensive discovery, negotiation, and mediation, they have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

Moisture sensors tripped by humidity

Sweaty palms from over-excitement at a new iDevice?

1. Cliff

Re: Moisture sensors tripped by humidity

Fruit juice?

1. Fatman

Re: Fruit juice?

Yes, I was thinking bitter Apple cider, myself.

2. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Moisture sensors tripped by humidity

To much "Death Grip"

2. Richard Boyce
    Unhappy

Missing number

The story teases us about the amount that the lawyers are getting, but doesn't say how much. Why acknowledge the importance of a number that you then fail to mention?

1. Steve Knox
      Boffin

Re: Missing number

Basic estimation. The payouts for the different device types average out to about $200 per device. There are an estimated 153,105 devices, making approximately $30 million in estimated payout to customers. That leaves approximately $23 mil for the lawyers.

Now this is just an estimate, but you can be sure they're getting something in that order of magnitude.

3. tomban
    Trollface

It Just Works

So, 'Approximately 153,105' iDevices went faulty and were taken back to the shop only to be denied repair or replacement due to the moisture detector being over sensitive.

How many in total went wrong?

For a company that produces expensive high end gear, they seem to have a lot of duff stuff.

1. Velv
      FAIL

Re: It Just Works

Troll icon noted - did you bother looking at Apples claimed sales figures. Try iPods only:

September 2009 – 220 million

April 2008 – 152 million

October 2007 – 120 million

September 2007 – 110 million

April 2007 – 100 million

January 2006 – 42 million

November 2005 – 30 million

March 2005 – 15 million

December 2004– 10 million

So that's 799 MILLION. And doesn't include iPhones. 153,105 doesn't seems such a big percentage, does it.

If you're going to troll, at least do it with a semblance of integrity.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"So that's 799 MILLION...153,105 doesn't seems such a big percentage, does it."

That 153,105 is only the ones Apple currently knows about. That's also only those returns with a tripped sensor where, I assume, the sensor is the only evidence of liquid damage. I suspect if it had really been dunked then there'd be other signs evident inside the device.

No doubt it's still a minuscule percentage of sales but I suspect the actual number could well be significantly higher that that agreed.

2. Justin Pasher
        Stop

@Velv: Check the article. The settlement only applies to the iPod TOUCH and some iPhones, not all iPods.

Referencing the "never wrong" Wikipedia [1], about 100 million iPod Touches have been sold (including later gen models not covered). It says approximately 250 iPhone units have been sold (also including later gen models not covered. Granted, with those numbers, the percentage is still pretty small, but 350 million is a lot smaller than 800 million.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where did you get those figures from, even for iPods and not just the iPod touch that seems way out.

I think you're plucking figures out of thin air or did you get them from "an analyst claims..."

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If you're going to troll, at least do it with a semblance of integrity."

If you're going to state facts, at least do it with a semblance of integrity

4. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Anyone want to bet that this settlement only covers US customers?? My sons P4 was refused repair due to the water detection strip about 2 years ago, and a replacement P4S only last year (same fault on both - microphone not working).

He gave up on Apple and got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 instead.

1. Steve Knox
      Holmes

Anyone want to bet that this settlement only covers US customers??

Tell you what. On behalf of the US government, I'm prepared to offer you this Apple settlement for free! You even get a revised extradition treaty, new copyright laws, a great drug war --

What's that? You just want the settlement? I don't know -- it's a package deal.... Let me talk to my supervisor...

Nah, sorry, he says if that's all you want you'll have to sue Apple in your own court.

Sure I can't interest you in an extreme rendition partnership policy? Have it your way, then.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like