back to article Windows Phone piques CIO interest says analyst

Windows Phones may not be setting sales charts afire, but CIOs like the look of 'em, according to new research from analyst outfit Frost & Sullivan. The Australia 2013 Enterprise Mobility Report, discussed today at CeBit Australia by the firm's head of ICT research Audrey William, asked a small sample of CIOs (227 to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Unfortunatly, the old adage.

Nobody got fired for buying Microsoft still reigns supreme.

However this time around, and CIO buying Windows Phone for his company is likely to be working in a petrol station soon afterwards....

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Gerhard Mack

Re: Unfortunatly, the old adage.

Tell that to Clara Furse, the former CEO of the London Stock Exchange, who resigned after the Windows/.NET based system she migrated the exchange to crashed repeatedly. The new CEO immediately moved the exchange to a Linux/ C++ based system.

3. Mikel
      Stop

Re: Unfortunatly, the old adage.

When IBM reps had to resort to "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" the end was nigh.

2. Shagbag
    FAIL

I love this shit

1. CIOs say 43% of their users 'will' want iOS while 23% will want Android. Meanwhile market share stats from various sources suggest it's the other way around;

2. CIOs say 21% will want WinPho. Meanwhile market share stats from various sources suggest this is laughable.

There is something seriously wrong with Frost & Sullivan's analysis. It doesn't cut the mustard with other sources.

EPIC FAIL.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I love this shit @"Shagbag" 08:39

Hi Eadon - name the sources, or some of them. Could look around myself, of course, but want to see whether you have. Please don't try to include articles on The Reg (too easy!) your cat, your Mum, the three of your friends who are the only ones who'll hang around with you because they share your opinions or the voices in your head.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I love this shit @"Shagbag" 08:39

Just because someone else thinks MS are a bunch of shyster, granny robbing, lying, cheating, monopolistic, shit software purveyors, don't assume it's Eadon.

There happen to quite a lot of people that think religion is a fairy tail.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hidden parameter

One suspects the difference between market share and CIO interest is dominated by the discounts being touted behind the scenes.

With longevity of phone products plummeting one wonders whether CIO's will find their decisions haunting them before they've moved on on this one. Windows, never been a lock in issue there right?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Hidden parameter

Not sure if it's discounts which you only get for licences as much as simple face-saving about the decision to wed themselves to a Microsoft-only strategy. It's not as if Microsoft actually gives a shit about its large customers in the way IBM (used to) with the banks.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see some high profile CIO exits and strategy revisions over the next year or so as support costs fail to go down and employees continue to compare company mandated hardware and software unfavourably with their own devices.

4. WatAWorld

What do you have to pay to get an analyst to say

What do you have to pay to get an analyst to say that your third place finish indicated "piqued interest"?

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

One of my customers seems quite keen on pursuing a Microsoft only strategy which I suspect might include replacing BlackBerries with Windows Phone at some point though not because of a corporate app store - they already have at least two. However, if they go ahead I think it will be as much to save face as any real value proposition. Microsoft still seems to be falling even further behind in the mobile and browser world but I wouldn't mind swapping my Thinkpad + docking station for a tablet + docking station, though I'd be happier still with a simple VM image. We'll have to see how things pan out when the next hardware replacement wave starts next year.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Frost & Sullivan

I wonder who sponsored Frost & Sullivan ?

All expenses paid trips to Redmond for Frost & Sullivan by any chance ?

7. Mikel
    Unhappy

Ah, I remember the Enderle days

When all it took to be an analyst was a website and a list of "reporters" who could be trusted to republish your spam without too much editing.

Whatever happened to Enderle anyway? Did he take up fishing or something? And that other bloke... what was his name... crud I forget. The patents guy. And Manuel Icaza, whatever happened to him?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Speak of the Devil ..

After a decade of hardware duds, Microsoft gets it right with the Xbox One

"It is rare any company, that makes all the right choices when it comes to a new consumer product – even Apple seldom does. At least until we get one of these to mess with, it looks like Microsoft (for once) did the impossible, and that makes this announcement historic. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, since the Xbox brand has historically been a Microsoft success story, but the Xbox One seems to have even done that better than its predecessors. Go figure?"

Rob Enderle May 2013

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Re: Speak of the Devil ..

LOL,. Quite clearly just had a big fat cheque land on the doorstep from a unnamed American company for "advertising" their forthcoming product...

What a tool. You would think he would at least have a few made up aliases. Even people here are smart enough to do that... :-)

8. Tezfair
    Unhappy

Jumped

As a long time user of WM devices I did the unthinkable - went to Android. Had the S4 and just find it so much easier to get to places. No transistioning chunky squares, no scroll, scroll, scroll to the bottom of the tiles just to get to the next screen.

Android works well for me. main screen for phone / contacts / emails / calendar, left screens for play, right screens for biz apps.

Native email doesn't work for me as I use sub-folders heavily but im trialling an app which shows unread emails in ALL sub-folders.

Bye WM, life was good at 6.5, but 7.8 was torture.

1. Spearchucker Jones
      WTF?

Re: Jumped

WM stopped at 6.5. WP started at 7, and does indeed let you scroll (if that's your bag), or... you could just use jump lists. If you're scrolling in email (much like you would in either iOS or Android), then (unlike iOS or Android) the panorama items will filter your mail.

1. Tezfair

WM / WP it's the same thing as far as im concerned.

I had tiles / jump lists to the point that I had so many that it would have been quicker to have none at all and have the 'next' arrow closer to the top. At least in WP7 the arrow was at the top of the screen, then an update shoved it right at the bottom. Its these changes that MS seems to think helps.... but doesn't.

Not usually having to scroll in emails, sub folders and only the last week's emails keeps everything minimal.

1. Simon Jones [MSDL]
          FAIL

How you arrange your tiles is up to you but how can you not have noticed that you can scroll right to left on the WP8 home screen to get to the list of all Apps? You definitely don't have to scroll to the bottom to tap the "Next" arrow.

9. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Australia 2013 Enterprise Mobility Report

"The Australia 2013 Enterprise Mobility Report .. asked a small sample of CIOs (227 to be precise) what operating system they think users will want in the next 12 to 18 months".

Is there a link to this report and what methodology was used in gathering the data for this survey?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like